Firmware Version 10.03 Up

If he did, he'd probably never admit it because of the ensuing arguments, so it would probably remain a private joke. As far as that goes, how do you know he hasn't already done so?

OK, it's officially official. I'm dain bramaged :shock: . Update went perfect and I went through my presets. The only difference I hear is the pop went away when changing to my Euro preset as promised. Otherwise, I don't hear a difference :lol:

To me it does sound different. Not wildly, but slightly more rounded and more natural. It seems to combine better with cabsims, making more combinations sound good.

I'm pleased.

All my high gain patches are slightly "darker" sounding overall, but the top end is smoother IMO. Also, my high gain patches do seem to have less gain, but I play with way too much gain anyway (think Commander Mark Day), so now I find my high gain patches have better dynamics. To my ear, there is not a huge difference, but I do like how the presence range frequencies sound more than 10.01. There it is. - Tim

I upgraded the firmware and went through a few patches. I'm not an uber metal player, but for me there is a great deal of difference - on the positive side. I feel more exploratory with this new firmware, because less seems apt to go wrong tonally. The headroom for dialing in stuff, mostly in the treble/presence range, seems to have been greatly improved, so that now I find myself messing with, especially raising, the tone controls more, since I don't hear disappointing tones anymore, just varied ones. It would not be out of the question to me if someone told me the amp's drive control IS pushing just a bit less, maybe in relation to how it pushed the highs from the old algorithm, so that in some cases I found myself cranking it a tad higher - could be my imagination. I did have trouble immediately reproducing a patch I had for the BROWN amp. Evidently this is something on the advanced amp pages, but I feel it is doable. Along this line, I noticed that I could put an amp in front of another and get more realistic and warm feedback and squeals than what were available before. Plus, in relation to the amp EQ experimentation, now there are a lot of new amps I find myself liking and being interested in playing. I would not also be shocked if there is a difference in terms of how the reverbs and delays respond to the tonal input of the new algorithm too, but this all seems to be positive, in that there just seems to be more response as the more relaxed treble and presence are up'd.

My question to metal players is, could you PLEASE post some patch settings from patches off the old firmware that you could allow the rest of us to try and nail on the new firmware? Mainly because I've never been good at dialing anything like that in since I haven't had a lot of exposure to the sounds. It would be interesting to get a comparison or maybe a workaround. There are so many tools in the arsenal it would be crazy if something beneficial in that firmware could not be reproduced in this one.

Thanks for this community being there, especially thanks to Cliff and his team. It's gonna be a good Christmas, it came without hundreds of highly priced tags, it came without packages of amp gear to drag, just the fractals down in fractal-ville singing.

Like the update very much. Love it actually. There is just something very musical about this one. My strat just sings now - that is the best way I can explain it.

Also found that I like a lot more amp sims out of Axe-FX collection, even the ones I couldn't stand before :shock:

Good one, Cliff,

Nick.

jesussaddle said:
My question to metal players is, could you PLEASE post some patch settings from patches off the old firmware that you could allow the rest of us to try and nail on the new firmware? Mainly because I've never been good at dialing anything like that in since I haven't had a lot of exposure to the sounds. It would be interesting to get a comparison or maybe a workaround. There are so many tools in the arsenal it would be crazy if something beneficial in that firmware could not be reproduced in this one.
Great idea !
I'll post tonight (means in 9 hours for me ;)) !

Here it is, the preset is designed to work on FRFR with EMG pickups on a LTD.
I think most of you will hate the sound but i'm unable to get same thing with 10.03 ;)

Attachments

• Gros son 11 2010.syx
    2 KB · Views: 16
The big change in this update in in the high frequencies. It makes sense that some people would not be able to hear that, alas. Personally I heard a big difference.

so are all/most of the high gain guys happy ? i havent had a chance to upgrade yet . im going to give it a shot this weekend. i just hope i can get my patches to sound similiar to the last update .

Hi all, I updated from 7.02 (yeah yeah I know :oops: ) to 10.03 and all my hi-gain patches (that are usually only comprised of DRIVE -> AMP -> CAB (with mic)) are screwed up :?: They are louder and *much* more bassier. The red digital clipping LEDs go off most of the time. It seems not to be related to the DRIVE block, because if I disable that one, it has the same undesirable effect. I did read through the update manual of course, but couldnt find anything related, nor here in this topic.

Could someone please help me out here? :cry:

Fusion said:
Hi all, I updated from 7.02 (yeah yeah I know :oops: ) to 10.03 and all my hi-gain patches (that are usually only comprised of DRIVE -> AMP -> CAB (with mic)) are screwed up :?: They are louder and *much* more bassier. The red digital clipping LEDs go off most of the time. It seems not to be related to the DRIVE block, because if I disable that one, it has the same undesirable effect. I did read through the update manual of course, but couldnt find anything related, nor here in this topic.

Best is to reset the amp and drive block and start from scratch.
you will be surprised how fast you gonna get a good amp sim with 10.03

Reset those AMP blocks to default values and start tweaking from there. You'll probably find that much less tweaking is needed under 10.x.

I've had an Axe-Fx since somewhere in the 2.0 or 3.0 version of the firmware, I can't remember... and updated with every version up 'til 10.0, then didn't install 10.01 or 10.02. I know there were some changes in there affecting the high frequencies, but quite frankly, my Axe-Fx has never sounded better than 10.03. I am a "high-gainer" but I also play with lower-gain settings. Since I've upgraded to 10.03, though, I can't stop playing the high-gain amps. I'm hearing detail in the upper frequencies that I haven't heard before. I need to play through my real tube amps to refresh my reference point, but things sound really good to me now.

Fusion said:

I hear guys complaining that all their patches got screwed up after they updated from 10.01 to 10.03. If they weren't screwed up after updating from 7.02 I'd be disappointed they didn't change the firmware enough.

So, I remember reading in the manual once that the amp block's drive control also, in addition to controlling the level of drive, affected how much of the guitar's bass frequencies the amp block received.

Is that still the case?

brainstem3000 said:
so are all/most of the high gain guys happy.

I'm still not. I tried giving 10.03 another chance last night (the first time since trying it when it originally came out) and couldn't load 10.01 back fast enough.

It's like there's a new "Bland" control added to the amp block and it's turned all the way up. :(

Back
Top Bottom