Firmware Version 10.03 Up

Scott Peterson said:
Seriously? I honestly thought you were a big power amp into a 412.

The active presence boosted up isn't enough for your ear? Honestly? That's aggressively bright and drives me insane.

Your not remembering wrong, I was Mr. power amp blasting out of two 4x12's until Mr. Tinnitus paid me an unwelcome visit. :lol: I thought it was then time reevaluate the volume I play at and the total ridiculousness of using that setup for home playing. So I switched to the Dynaudios over a year ago.

I'm not saying I can't get it bright enough by turning up the Presence, it just doesn't sound the same or as good as it did with 10.01. It just had this nice tight sizzle to it that I really liked that I'm having a hard time duplicating now. It sounds to "glossy" and "smeared" (can't think of any better terms to describe at the moment) when I add more Presence/HF RES now.

Haven't played yet today though and maybe yesterday I was just having one of my "bad ear days" where nothing sounds good, so I'll hit it again and see what I think (though I have a feeling I'll be heading back to 10.01 before the night is over).

P.S. Before anyone thinks I can't hear the high frequencies correctly, I only have very slight Tinnitus in my right ear. The only time I can hear any ringing is when it's absolutely quiet, and sometimes not even then. My hearing is still actually pretty good (for an old fart that is). :D

This update is awesome! Like others I've had problems with unpleasant frequencies (esp. the JCM800) and with 10.03 they are gone! This update is almost worth the 11 status in my book! Yes it's subtle in some cases but setting all the tone knobs to 5 and tweaking from there really does let you dial in some stunning tones without loads of filters and peqs to control the high end.

For reference I had some great tones that were based on the 4x12 German and the only other effect was a global eq with 63hz at -12db, 250hz @ -2.5db and 500hz @ -3.7db. This worked for a bunch of amps in the hour I spent with 10.03 so far :cool:

Spence

So I updated to 10.3 , it then said can't confirm firmare on Axe Edit . In the Axe FX it says 10.3 but now Axe Edit doesn't work . It keeps saying hardware busy , since I upgraded ..

Upgraded last night - after an evening and afternoon of tweaking I ended up bumping the presence by about 0.75 on all of my presets. Other than that, everything sounds great so far. LOVE having the Uber model fixed.

I did a little tweaking and brought some of the distortion controls back into the chain to hear that mid range with a high/low mid spike... :eek:

New firmware is good :mrgreen:

Upgraded to 10.03 this afternoon. It took me 30 minutes to get the high gain tone that I've been trying to get for 2 and a half years.

First, let me say IMHO; there has been an issue with the hi freq especially when using distortion ever since I got my axe with FW 9.03. It wasn't anything that couldn't be worked around, but it was there. In addition, the bright cap has not been quite right - perhaps due only to the metallic hi's that seem to be apart of the system. I usually defeat it, use presence, and add eq later (by the way - I have either owned, played and repaired something like 20 different marshalls of the jcm 800 and "1987" variety, all of which I dialed full presence and full bass. The only variable on tone controls was mids and treb, and for the 1987's, the mix between the channels - a little time with an slo yielded very similar settings). Rolling off hi's before the pre amp solved most of the Hi end harshness issues for me; after the amp, eq could bring back some top end if needed while simultaneously blocking the really hi stuff. Typical stuff found throughout this forum. The more gain I dialed, the more radical the eq would get; including radical "hi and low cut" adjustments (as low as 2k on the hi cut - thats all the way). Even the "hi freq res" has been set as low as low as "0" trying to correct this little nag.

This update addresses all these issues - if not correcting them perfectly, correcting them to a degree that puts a big smile on my face; at least in the "slo" and "had ods" models. I spent several hours with these two today (FRFR) - sounded so good I just couldn't stop! or change!!!

The top end is greatly improved, ...and it really wasn't bad before.

But here's the thing for me; the low end is also improved.

I'll try to describe this; there is a certain solidness of the note played on the guitar to the tone generated. Its as if it is just better connected - this is one of the qualities of a "great" tube amp. A better confidence is generated and there is no notion in the playing to account for any inferiority of tone - you can slap it and it artistically reflects your anger - even to the point where "slop" can be percieved as emotion, making it artistically viable. It just feels better - not like a tube amp, but like a really special tube amp. By the way, want sizzle - peq narrow (2-4?) boost (3- 6db) swept between 2k and up. Behold - sizzle with no "metal clank".

This update not only makes me play better, it makes me more creative (and i need all the help I can get!!!!).

Anyone know what I mean?

The tone is "fuller". Note definition is better.

Those using PEQ's at the end of the chain (like I was) blocking frequencies past 7K, you can bypass the PEQ. You'll get back the clarity you were missing with the update. :mrgreen:

shredi knight said:
P.S. Before anyone thinks I can't hear the high frequencies correctly, I only have very slight Tinnitus in my right ear. The only time I can hear any ringing is when it's absolutely quiet, and sometimes not even then. My hearing is still actually pretty good (for an old fart that is). :D
It seems that you have good ears.(and don't forget good ears are just good brain ;) )

Just when I thought to myself, how is it possible to further improve something that's already rockin & perfect.... :)

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Dutch said:
So, what do the Fenderologists think of this? Everyone was really happy with the added sparkle of the previous large update.
Has that been negated by this one or is the sparkle still attainable?

Well I was not happy with that, and this change matches my impressions when A/B the Axe with real amps (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14820), I had to lower the HF to match the real amp.

I'm sure with this firmware it will be closer to the real thing without touching parameters, but i won't be able to try for some weeks, I have some gigs right now...

I can´t hear that the sound on the plexi modell became any darker . It seems fine so far .
(And I´m a sparkle kind of a guy ,who needs treble .)
The only way to get a secure answer is to play with band I guess . I will try at louder volume
tonight and see how it feels . Right now it feels damn good .

;)

Thomas

Upgraded to 10.03 yesterday and tested it through my pair of RCF´s Art 310, everything went good! Now I´m free of that annoying harsh and you can add me to that list of people who liked it. Actually, I liked it a lot! IMHO, this update is the best for FRFR users to date!

Ah! Plexi2 settings from Scott? YEAH! :mrgreen:

Remove you PEQ's and set your presence like you would on the real amps..... the amp models have been too bright before this update and my presence values on patches were lower than id use on the real amp counterparts......and the top end sounded unnatural...... NOT ANY MORE!

Cliff you did something very right with this update! Two opposable thumbs up!

Regarding all the pro-10.03 guys here i think i must give another try to 10.03 and tweak my patchs.
But when you're talking about "HF resonance", where is it ?

I have some problem with the new update.

at the end of the update process i get "no response from hardware" message. after that the update is installed, but axe edit is not working anymore (hardware busy).

i use it with my fireface 400 and it worked flawless on every update. i now tried it 3 times an the problem wont go away.

any suggestions?

cheers,
dan

danny said:
I have some problem with the new update.

at the end of the update process i get "no response from hardware" message. after that the update is installed, but axe edit is not working anymore (hardware busy).

i use it with my fireface 400 and it worked flawless on every update. i now tried it 3 times an the problem wont go away.

any suggestions?

cheers,
dan

In the edit have you changed the sysex id? Go into setting then audio/midi setting and at the bottom of the page make sure you sysex is 00 01 74

danny said:
any suggestions?
Read my post from the previous page in which I say, "Read this page and follow the instructions: http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-axe-edit.html"

This issue is clearly explained on FAS' website and has been discussed here many times. Before updating firmware, PLEASE READ THE RELEASE NOTES (or at least read the previous 2-3 pages in the thread you're posting in) and the information on the FAS website. From the release notes: "If you update to 10.02 you also MUST update to the latest version of Axe-Edit." From the above-referenced web page:

"Firmware 10.02 updates our Axe-Fx Standard and Ultra models to utiilize a new SysEx header which will be implemented in all future Fractal Audio Systems products and firmware versions. This change is reflected in the IO > SYSEX ID parameter of the Axe-Fx. Axe-Edit must show a a corresponding setting under SETTINGS > AUDIO/MIDI SETTINGS > SYSEX ID. Axe-Edit should detect and set this value automatically, but in case it does not, the following information is required:

For Firmware version 10.02 or LATER, Axe-Edit's SysEx ID must be 00 - 01 - 74
For Firmware version 10.01 or EARLIER, Axe-Edit's SysEx ID must be 00 - 00 - 7D"

Back
Top Bottom