Firmware Version 10.03 Up

just got done playing a bit.. biggest thing is where most of my patches didnt have any presence in them, now i have to do it on 5 to all the way up so it doesnt sound muddy. i'm sure there are some deep dive tricks to learn now, but all of my patches needed tweaking.

dpeterson said:
just got done playing a bit.. biggest thing is where most of my patches didnt have any presence in them, now i have to do it on 5 to all the way up so it doesnt sound muddy. i'm sure there are some deep dive tricks to learn now, but all of my patches needed tweaking.
You may already know this: a setting of 5 for presence is "no presence", 5 to 10 on the AxeFX works like 0 to 10 on a real amp. 0 to 5 on the AxeFX is hi-cut in the power amp sim, not available on real amps.

GM Arts said:
You may already know this: a setting of 5 for presence is "no presence", 5 to 10 on the AxeFX works like 0 to 10 on a real amp. 0 to 5 on the AxeFX is hi-cut in the power amp sim, not available on real amps.

Yup.. 0 = noon straight up... most of my stuff had none or a tad, now it's a lot. Going to revist starting from scratch on a few. start everything at noon, and go from there.

edit: this was in reference to Recto New sim

wow that's a major difference in the tone after updating. At least in my high gain stuff. It's a lot darker then before, and the presence control seems like it doesn't add quite as much presence anymore. Curious what the rest of the high gainers are doing with this update to regain the bite?

rsf1977 said:
wow that's a major difference in the tone after updating. At least in my high gain stuff. It's a lot darker then before, and the presence control seems like it doesn't add quite as much presence anymore. Curious what the rest of the high gainers are doing with this update to regain the bite?

You might try putting the Presence control in Active mode (bottom of the amp block's advanced page). The Presence in Passive mode sounds muddy to me compared to Active. Active sounds slightly brighter and "cleaner" to my ears.

So far, leaving the HF at default and upping the Presence +1.75 over where is was seems to be getting me close to what I had before. I need to take a break though and come back to it with fresh ears later tonight and see what I think.

shredi knight said:
rsf1977 said:

You might try putting the Presence control in Active mode (bottom of the amp block's advanced page). The Presence in Passive mode sounds muddy to me compared to Active. Active sounds slightly brighter and "cleaner" to my ears.

So far, leaving the HF at default and upping the Presence +1.75 over where is was seems to be getting me close to what I had before. I need to take a break though and come back to it with fresh ears later tonight and see what I think.

Great Advice! That got me back to where i was, thanks!

shredi knight said:
Interesting...Didn't Cliff want to get rid of the 'active' setting altogether not too long ago ?

So it's not just a correction of certain 'damp' / 'presence' combination settings as it seems. What happens to amps that don't have a real world presence control where it should be set to noon on the Axe ? Are they just muddy now and need an upped presence to get to normal sounds ? Really not looking forward to re-tweak all my patches...again :lol:

rsf1977 said:
shredi knight said:

Great Advice! That got me back to where i was, thanks!

Glad I could help. :D

Well I still haven't taken a break yet and my ears are shot, but adding 1.25 of Presence and putting the HF RES at 10.00 sounds very close too. A little beefier sounding that way, you might give it a try. Not sure if I like it or adding 1.75 more Presence/HF at default more (not to mention if I like either way as much as how I had it sounding with 10.01) .

VegaBaby said:
Really not looking forward to re-tweak all my patches...again :lol:

I hear you man. I just knew when I read the change to the HF RES that I was going to hear it (glad I'm not the only one) and be in re-tweaking Hell for the next couple of days. :lol:

Just finished playing around with 10.03... All my high gain stuff seems to be both darker, a bit muddier and it sounds as if everything had less gain than before. Weird... Looking forward to how that translates during practice tomorrow.

mortega76 said:
Just finished playing around with 10.03... All my high gain stuff seems to be both darker, a bit muddier and it sounds as if everything had less gain than before. Weird... Looking forward to how that translates during practice tomorrow.

I totally agree. My patches seem a lot darker and less gainy. I tried cranking up the HF res but it doesn't seem to bring it back to where it was. I wonder if this only an issue for the high gainer patches? It just seems a lot harder to find the clarity that was there before

rsf1977 said:
mortega76 said:

I totally agree. My patches seem a lot darker and less gainy. I tried cranking up the HF res but it doesn't seem to bring it back to where it was. I wonder if this only an issue for the high gainer patches? It just seems a lot harder to find the clarity that was there before

Try turning up the presence. I compared a recording from 10.00 to 10.03 and all I had to do was turn up the presence to match it.

SimonSez said:
rsf1977 said:
mortega76 said:

Try turning up the presence. I compared a recording from 10.00 to 10.03 and all I had to do was turn up the presence to match it.

from what i tried the "recto new" it didn't work the recto seemed to just run out of presence, but when i changed the presence to Active i could get the bite dialed back. And for the "double verb" it worked out just fine once i turned on the treble boost and ipped the presence a bit. I wonder if it's is amp sim dependent.

This update *will* require you to re-tweak your presets.

If you're an FRFR player and you've been using a PEQ after the Cab Block you'll want to re-tweak the PEQ (or delete it) and you may have to re-think the Cab IR you're using as well.
If you found that you had to reduce the HF Resonance parameter down from the default of 5.00 since version 9.03, you'll probably want to put it back to the default.

But on my system, where I'm going through a Bryston power amp and an EVM-12L, the amp sims with their default Advanced Parameter values now sound much more like the real amps being modelled when those amps have their knobs at similar settings to the virtual knobs on the Axe.

My advice would be to reset the default parameters of your amp sims, by switching briefly to another Amp Type and then returning to the Amp Type you want to work with, and beginning from scratch.
This will be especially true if you've done lots of tweaking to the Advanced Amp Parameters in your pre-10.03 presets.

For my first try using into my custom tube power amp + real cab i will aim at being agree with joe. It sounds darker and more natural. High end is less...
I need to experiment more.

joegold said:
This update *will* require you to re-tweak your presets.

If you're an FRFR player and you've been using a PEQ after the Cab Block you'll want to re-tweak the PEQ (or delete it) and you may have to re-think the Cab IR you're using as well.
If you found that you had to reduce the HF Resonance parameter down from the default of 5.00 since version 9.03, you'll probably want to put it back to the default.

But on my system, where I'm going through a Bryston power amp and an EVM-12L, the amp sims with their default Advanced Parameter values now sound much more like the real amps being modelled when those amps have their knobs at similar settings to the virtual knobs on the Axe.

My advice would be to reset the default parameters of your amp sims, by switching briefly to another Amp Type and then returning to the Amp Type you want to work with, and beginning from scratch.
This will be especially true if you've done lots of tweaking to the Advanced Amp Parameters in your pre-10.03 presets.

+1
the nasty high frequencies are gone.. in a good way. No need to set the HF Resonance at 2.52 anymore or to tame those frequencies anymore. Thanks Cliff! Really appreciated

So, what do the Fenderologists think of this? Everyone was really happy with the added sparkle of the previous large update.
Has that been negated by this one or is the sparkle still attainable?

Actually I usually don't do much presence in my patches so I might be allright, but I'm not sure I want to do this update. I'm pretty satisfied with 10.01...

Somehow the knowledge of the presence never really sank in, I forgot about the Hi-Cut part of the dial (or I never knew). Might be better to have that renamed to HiCut/Pres and range from -10 to 0 to +10 if this is correct.

rsf1977 said:
mortega76 said:

+1

is it possible to downgrade to 10.01 ?

Well I got my standard with 9.03 so I can't compare to the previous 9.xx versions, but with 10.03 I find the cleans much more natural, way less harsh. I had to smoothen my picking technique with most of the clean patches (even after rolling off the HF Res so I was probably doing something wrong :oops: ).

Back
Top Bottom