Firmware V2 vs. V3 A/B test... discouraged

My settings end up between 2.75 and 4.25 depending on the amp.
Grape, take your time to learn the new firmware. It is worth it.
If not, then use 2.xx and be happy.

Scott, have you A/B-ed 2.0 and 3.0 right next to each other with the exact same source? This is the first time I've done this between firmware versions and I'm glad I did it because it does precisely that; allows me to learn the new firmware with a strong point of reference. I spent countless hours tweaking presets and every firmware starts a new cycle. It's discouraging to have to re-tweak and I really didn't want to do it this time around.

However, changing the 4 parameters is a quick fix for my 2.0 presets to work in 3.0. Thankfully it didn't take too long to figure it out - way quicker than going from Ultra 9 to 10 (if I recall correctly), Ultra to II, and II 1.0 to 2.0. As always, I'll work with the new firmware since I believe Cliff is always making more accurate and dynamic models that in the long run sound better if tweaked properly.

As for the Proximity, 0 was necessary to work on my presets compared to 2.0. I don't know why that is though since I would think it would need a higher setting to compensate for the changes in the RW mix.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for responding.

Did you upload the updated presets and do a system parameter reset? I had a similar experience updating from 1.x to 2.x until <

Yes, I did a parameter reset and then changed the input levels back to my 2.0 settings since that's the only "global" change that I made (e.g. no global eq pre or post fw3.0).

Wow, have you ever thought about writing a book on how to make friends and influence people!? Seriously people are trying to help you out and you're replying to them as you are!

I read back through my replies and I think the only odd one was my response to yek which was an acknowledged misunderstanding. Maybe my other question about whether people have actually directly A/B-ed the firmware appeared forceful... I don't know. If so, I'm just trying to differentiate a general reaction to the new firmware vs. actual direct comparison. For example, I trust Scott's general reaction more than others b/c he's been beta testing and I know he's using this in studio and live so that carries a lot of weight.

However, general reactions can be misleading too without direct comparison. I'm not knocking anyone for this but it's a real ear opener to hear the firmwares right next to each other with several presets (stock and custom). For that reason, I highly encourage people to perform the same test so that they can figure out the differences as well.

In any event, after reading the whole thread, if you feel I've still misbehaved, please point it out and I'll perform some behavioral modification to my firmware :0) Ok, that was a serious sentiment wrapped in a joke.

Scott, have you A/B-ed 2.0 and 3.0 right next to each other with the exact same source? This is the first time I've done this between firmware versions and I'm glad I did it because it does precisely that; allows me to learn the new firmware with a strong point of reference. I spent countless hours tweaking presets and every firmware starts a new cycle. It's discouraging to have to re-tweak and I really didn't want to do it this time around.

However, changing the 4 parameters is a quick fix for my 2.0 presets to work in 3.0. Thankfully it didn't take too long to figure it out - way quicker than going from Ultra 9 to 10 (if I recall correctly), Ultra to II, and II 1.0 to 2.0. As always, I'll work with the new firmware since I believe Cliff is always making more accurate and dynamic models that in the long run sound better if tweaked properly.

As for the Proximity, 0 was necessary to work on my presets compared to 2.0. I don't know why that is though since I would think it would need a higher setting to compensate for the changes in the RW mix.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for responding.

I make reference recordings for myself and do refer to those. I also prefer to get out and use the box live with a band, because beyond the microscope how they perform for me in a live context is the acid test in my book.

Guess I don't understand because when I change the amp in a preset and go back so as to set defaults my tones default to 10 and 20000 as they should. Am I missing something here?

Gigged with a SLO for awhile, without the presence up the amp gets lost. We are talking the high gain channel, not the 1st channel clean/rhythm. That is common BTW, and passed onto me by others gigging with the SLO. No mods. But if mud and not cutting through the mix is what you are after, then surely keeping the presence off makes it easier to play.

(For some reason my work PC won't let me reply to another post.)

Last edited:
Guess I don't understand because when I change the amp in a preset and go back so as to set defaults my tones default to 10 and 20000 as they should. Am I missing something here?

Nope, I was partially missing something. I just noticed that the defaults change based on the Amp type:

Amp : Tone lo-hi
AC30TB : 500-15000
59 Bassguy : 500-10000
etc.

You must be on an amp that defaults to 10-20000.

I make reference recordings for myself and do refer to those. I also prefer to get out and use the box live with a band, because beyond the microscope how they perform for me in a live context is the acid test in my book.

I trust your judgement especially going from recording to a live situation. My comparison is purely for recording and monitoring in headphones at this point. I try to do all of my critical listening this way before moving on to in ears and FRFR - especially now b/c I do have the RCF's that you have but have yet to really understand the sound in a single room let alone multiple venues.

I find V3.00 to be more "organic"; i don't know how else to describe it. My go to amp is the JCM800 which this release just nails! V3.00 brings the fundamentals of this amp up front and center, I get the feeling of standing in front of my classic JCM800 with the added benefit to mold its tone in any way i please!! Love it.

Also, I know you don't want to, but posting a before and after clip should help people help you.
Spence

I'm researching soundcloud now.

If I do revert back to 2.0 to capture more examples, I'll volunteer to take other dry recordings from people and run them through 2.0 and 3.0 so that they can compare. I'm not sure I want to change firmware more than necessary though. I don't want to accidentally brick it and have to wait for the replacement chip :0).

Dunno. Still diggin the FW 3.0 a lot.

I have never played as much guitar the last few days in my life. :)

But, I am also maybe am not as sophisticated as some others here in amp design.

quick question when you double click a parameter in axe-edit it flips the knob to the default for that block parameter right? If that's not what it's doing that would be a great feature.

I read back through my replies and I think the only odd one was my response to yek which was an acknowledged misunderstanding. Maybe my other question about whether people have actually directly A/B-ed the firmware appeared forceful... I don't know. If so, I'm just trying to differentiate a general reaction to the new firmware vs. actual direct comparison. For example, I trust Scott's general reaction more than others b/c he's been beta testing and I know he's using this in studio and live so that carries a lot of weight.

However, general reactions can be misleading too without direct comparison. I'm not knocking anyone for this but it's a real ear opener to hear the firmwares right next to each other with several presets (stock and custom). For that reason, I highly encourage people to perform the same test so that they can figure out the differences as well.

In any event, after reading the whole thread, if you feel I've still misbehaved, please point it out and I'll perform some behavioral modification to my firmware :0) Ok, that was a serious sentiment wrapped in a joke.

8)

I'm researching soundcloud now.

If I do revert back to 2.0 to capture more examples, I'll volunteer to take other dry recordings from people and run them through 2.0 and 3.0 so that they can compare. I'm not sure I want to change firmware more than necessary though. I don't want to accidentally brick it and have to wait for the replacement chip :0).

That's cool, it's pretty easy to use. Clips can help avoid confusion when describing differences. You say tomato and I say tomato, OK well that doesn't work written down ;)

FWIT I've changed the cabs models I use, changed most of the master volume/Presence settings and increased drive and bass across the board when moving from v2 - v3. I have found that adding bass and drive to an amp thickens out the tone without it getting muddy. I then cut a little after with the GEQ (in the amp block) to remove any boomyness if required.

Nope, I was partially missing something. I just noticed that the defaults change based on the Amp type:

Amp : Tone lo-hi
AC30TB : 500-15000
59 Bassguy : 500-10000
etc.

You must be on an amp that defaults to 10-20000.

I just tried one to see-Wrecker

Hi Spence,

can you post your 3.0 Marshall preset that you use now ?

Regards

Peter

The Mrs is away at the weekend so I should get chance to dial this thing in. I've not spent too many hours with the AxeFXII yet and v3 changed pretty much all of that. I have a couple of work in progress Marshall tones that I'll post soon :)

The Mrs is away at the weekend so I should get chance to dial this thing in. I've not spent too many hours with the AxeFXII yet and v3 changed pretty much all of that. I have a couple of work in progress Marshall tones that I'll post soon :)

..with clips lol:shock

quick question when you double click a parameter in axe-edit it flips the knob to the default for that block parameter right? If that's not what it's doing that would be a great feature.
that's exactly what it's doing ;). sometimes, very rarely, it can be off because of recent FW changes, but we usually try to catch them all...

Stratman,

Are you looking at the amp "Power" page, which shows "Power Amp Low Cut" and "Power Amp Hi Cut"? Grape is referring to the "Tone" page (one down) values for "Low Cut" and "High Cut". It's one below the "Power" page.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom