Firmware Upgrade Tutorial

stratamania

Fractal Fanatic
I noticed that this morning on the forum with the release of the new Firmware that some new users were not certain of what to do in order to upgrade the Axe FXII

Here is a step by step guide with screen dumps that I have made to show the procedure using Midi Ox.

As it has a lot of screen dumps I have made a new blog site to post it at. Hope this helps some folks out.

Updating Axe FX II Firmware | Stratamania's Music Blog

Thanks for the info. It was also confirmed the existing Axe Edit can be used for the firmware upgrade also, just not for editing presets.

Thanks for the info. It was also confirmed the existing Axe Edit can be used for the firmware upgrade also, just not for editing presets.

Overall Axe Edit is better avoided until there is a new release. Cliff has posted not to use it so it may be better to avoid it for now.

Edited due to Cliff's post.

Last edited:
I think there is one last step.
Don't you need to change the amp in which ever presets you use to a different amp and then back again to reinitialize the amps to the new parameters?
PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong here!

Thanks for providing this outline but I having an issue. I am able to have midi ox send the file and the Axe shows that it is accepting the update (at least the bar is moving like it is accepting the update) but once file is all sent, the axe fx screen just goes back to a preset screen and not to a prompt that instructs me to turn off the axe. Furthermore, when I check the FW version page, it's still showing V 7. I tried it twice and get the same result. What's wrong? Please help

@echos in between the two attempts did you power off the Axe FXII?

from page 151 of the manual.

If a firmware update fails, you may need to reboot the Axe-Fx II and try again after lowering the rate at which your application sends SysEx data. This setting is typically called something like “Speed of sending MIDI”, “Delay between buffers”, or “Pause between played messages

I will update the tutorial with a note regarding the above.

I have not personally experienced this so it slipped my mind to add it.

Yes Axe Edit, is OK for firmware updates. Just wanted to post how to use Midi Ox, as I tend to use it in any case for this type of thing. Perhaps when the new Axe Edit is out I will make an Axe Edit version. I want to wait till then in case there is anything changed on the GUI.

Good job!

You can click on the "Update help here" link in my sig for a Axe Edit version and a Midi Ox similer to what you have done but for the MFC in case anyone is interested.

Good job!

You can click on the "Update help here" link in my sig for a Axe Edit version and a Midi Ox similer to what you have done but for the MFC in case anyone is interested.
Thanks cobbler, can I add the link to your post to the blog as a further help for others?

Wish I had seen this earlier. This was the first time I plugged into a computer. Successfully stumbled through and got it updated....as well as the MFC. To the cave I go....hi-ho.

Yes, I did reboot after each attempt.

I'll found the buffer speed suggestions on the wiki. 256/16 with 90 ms delay. Resent everything for the 3rd time. It failed. I got a screen that flashed up momentarily that says that the transmission failed and then it reboots on its own. That is likely what was happening before I just wasn't in front of the axe to see it happen. So any suggestions?

Last edited:
Thx for taking the time for this Strat.
I'm sure this will help alot of people.

Great tutorial, but i cant get my M-Audio Midisport 1x1 to work with MIDI-OX.
I get a "unknown external error" when i try to select it in "midi devices".

Great tutorial, but i cant get my M-Audio Midisport 1x1 to work with MIDI-OX.
I get a "unknown external error" when i try to select it in "midi devices".

Answered in the thread you posted about this specific issue. That is a Midisport issue.

Are the instructions in the manual not clear enough? I've always thought the manual detailed the procedure quite clearly.?.?.? What are the instructions in the manual lacking to those of you who didn't understand? Maybe some feedback would help Cliff to clarify the manual if that is needed.

I updated the AXE using AE with no problem.

I've never updated the MFC firmware before. From the wiki it sounds like I need a Midi cable for this. Is that still the case?

Back
Top Bottom