Firmware Update Pros and Cons?

I've been using an Axe-Fx (first an Ultra, then a II) consistently for the past 7 or 8 years and I always update, probably within a week or two of each new firmware.

I've never updated my Axe-Fx and thought the firmware sounded worse.

I think literally the one thing in all of the previous firmwares I can think of that I liked better than what we've got now is that the Presence control for the ENGL Savage 120 used to be a bit meaner sounding many firmwares back. In the current firmware though, the control is more faithful to the real amp, funny enough.

IMHO there were updates that were a step back, but those were caused by bugs. AFAIK there's no sound issue with Q8.02, so soundwise you're good to go. BUT if you are on Q6.xx, there's no big difference. You probably won't hear any difference. There IS a difference, sure, but that doesn't mean it's audible! (contrary to what many here say at every update, we've reached 100% accuracy for many years, over and over *lol*)

UPDATE:

I've exported the few presets I liked and plan to reset the thing back to stock.

Now...how do I do that? I saw in the update folder something that said something like "UltraRes Cabs" or something...do I have to install all that manually?

Greatly appreciate all the feedback, everyone! REALLY cool to see such a vibrant, welcoming, active community here. It's a big selling point for the Axe-FX line in and of itself. I was a member long before I got one as I was considering picking up an Ultra back in the day and posted here for opinions. Even before having one, all my questions were answered. Very, very cool. Thanks, everyone!

It would indeed be nice to have a system file that also deletes e.g. Global Blocks, so people can do a real reset.

Alright. It's in the works.

I exported the few I liked, downloaded the stock banks A B and C, ran a full backup and it's now in the process of deleting all the presets. Ctrl+A, Del, save. lol Next up, cabs. Then I'm going to reset all global settings to factory in the menu and upload all the fresh, stock presets. Then it'll be time to try them out and get customizing!!

Alright. It's in the works.

I exported the few I liked, downloaded the stock banks A B and C, ran a full backup and it's now in the process of deleting all the presets. Ctrl+A, Del, save. lol Next up, cabs. Then I'm going to reset all global settings to factory in the menu and upload all the fresh, stock presets. Then it'll be time to try them out and get customizing!!

You didn't need to delete all the old presets. Loading Banks A B and C overwrites everything automatically.

There was only one time that I thought my presets sounded worse, but that was 2 years ago, there was a bug in the FW, and Cliff fixed it in 24 hours.

Other than that and the aforementioned Axe-Edit bug that will be fixed soon, there is no reason to avoid updates to FW.

I´ve always noticed an improvement in each firmware, so as long as this continues I will keep updating. ;)

You didn't need to delete all the old presets. Loading Banks A B and C overwrites everything automatically.

Too late...read somewhere that you have to go in and erase everything, then put the new ones on...so I did. Between running the backup, wiping it and installing all the new stuff, it took quite a while. lol

Thanks though! Got it! Will play with it more this week. Next up on the list:

- Set up some kind of expression pedal and footswitch...don't need the full fat controller as I don't play live.
- Figure out the looper block.

:-D

It's really quite simple.

Pros: new features. Cons: changes your presets, for better or worse.

One of the best features I feel that was ever put into the axe was the 'firmware version' knob, which stopped this from being an issue. Unfortunately this feature was removed. I'm still on quantum 6 and have no plans to update any time soon.

I was reading about the Axe-Edit bug, which I am experiencing, and came across someone talking about how they solved it by running a separate interface. They said Axe-Edit and the Axe-FX both run better when using a separate interface, too.

How does that work? I have another interface I could use...not sure how this would be setup without anything going into the Axe-FX.

I was reading about the Axe-Edit bug, which I am experiencing, and came across someone talking about how they solved it by running a separate interface. They said Axe-Edit and the Axe-FX both run better when using a separate interface, too.

How does that work? I have another interface I could use...not sure how this would be setup without anything going into the Axe-FX.
You'd plug the Axe's analog I/O into the interface, so you wouldn't be sending audio over USB.

Ah. Got ya. THAT'S not happening. lol That's one of the main reasons I bought an Axe-FX...I LOVE recording over USB!! lol Guess I'll just deal with Axe-Edit crapping out on me. lol

Thanks!!

Yup. That's a big ol negatory...the Axe-Edit crash bug has NOT been fixed. SUPER annoying...lol

Back
Top Bottom