Firmware Update Pros and Cons?

rmp5s

Inspired
HI!! I JUST GOT AN AXE II!!! So stoked...wanted one for YEARS and I finally made it happen.

Anyway...looks like the current version is 8.02 and it's running 6.something if I remember correctly. Well, I was wondering: What are the pros and cons of upgrading it? Is there any reason NOT to upgrade it?

I searched the forums for this and didn't see anything so I thought I'd just ask real quick.

So stoked to finally have one. Rock on, guys!!

Update.

Pros:
-More amps
-Better modeling.
-Better everything.

Cons:
-Um...

That being said, if you like what you hear already, back it up, try the new FW, and if it doesn't twirl your beanie, roll back. We have nice options here. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do all these things, look around on this site and youtube.

If you update, be sure to grab the latest presets as well.

Welcome.

Is it Pre-Quantum 6? Like circa 2012 6 or is it Quantum?

Either way since you just got it go ahead and upgrade to the latest version. There are no cons. You don't have old presets that you're worried about getting messed up so have at it! Update the FW and and then update the factory presets as well and get started.

Edit: updated FW, then update factory presets and then reset to original settings just so there's no global setting particular to the last owner lurking around in there.

Welcome to us!

Both suggestions above are spot on. After you have it awhile, the downside to upgrading is that all the presets you have painstakingly built and tonally balance will change either a little or lot. Despite that, Fractal almost always makes it worth it -- though the latest firmware seems about as close to perfect modeling as it can get.

Got ya!! Pretty sure it's on quantum as it says quantum when I turn it on.

So, upgrading it shall be! THANKS!

Oh, and...USMC_Trev...oorah, motivator.

Cons:
-Um...

I've never been disappointed with an update. Sometimes I don't notice a difference, sometimes I do. I've never rolled back to a previous version.

However... a con for me and what prevents me from jumping on updates right when they come out is the time it takes to migrate Presets which were tweaked for previous firmware. It can take me a few hours to a few days to tweak my core presets after an upgrade. I don't have many Presets. Only about 10 that I use regularly. Still, it takes time to re-perfect them.

In the OP's case, if you just got the unit and haven't created any Presets I'd say upgrade the FW and load all presets (Bank A, B & C) that goes with the FW.

Got ya!! Pretty sure it's on quantum as it says quantum when I turn it on.

So, upgrading it shall be! THANKS!

Oh, and...USMC_Trev...oorah, motivator.

Yeah, update & download the latest factory presets. They are a good starting point for a new owner!

I've never noticed any difference in my presets after an upgrade. But I reckon I don't have the Golden Ears of the Gods to notice subtle tonal differences. Until I do new firmware is always better.

Just went from Q6.02 to Q8.02!! :-D

I really like some of the presets the previous owner put on here, so I'm weary of resetting everything...even though I had originally planned on doing that. And I really want to try the new UltraRes stuff in the Quantum FW...

Hmm.........

I really like some of the presets the previous owner put on here, so I'm weary of resetting everything...even though I had originally planned on doing that. And I really want to try the new UltraRes stuff in the Quantum FW...

Hmm.........
So back everything up first. Then install the new firmware. If you decide that you don't want to keep it, you can roll back to exactly what you had.

Only argument against it is this Axe-Edit bug.

@rmp5s if you like those presets, why not export / save them with FractalBot. This way you can always get back to them. But I highly recommend building your own stuff!!

Update it! I've never regretted an update. Sometimes you have to tweak patches, but since your Axe is new to you, update it and start building your patches from there.

The only con I can think of would be when you've finally reached your ultimate tone you've always dreamt of and by uploading the new firmware something is going to change and the risk is that your tone will change. But I don't think I've ever met anybody who has ever reached their ultimate tone, ever. So... no cons!

You may want to reset the unit completely prior to update to assure things like global was are flat, etc

As mentioned, be sure to do a back up prior.

Back
Top Bottom