Firmware update = level carnage?

morelia

Inspired
I think I was running v6.x? and just updated to 8.02. I've read a bit that prepared me for some level issues, but the reality is absolute carnage. Can I expect to need a complete rework of my setup with every major update?

My first thought was that this is crazy to release an "update" that ruins every level adjustment I've ever made.

My second though was, hush now, how dare you say that about my tonal dreambox. There are now new goodies inside to further enhance its awesome awesomeness.

Basically, just hoping someone can provide some insight about how this works so I can make better update decisions, or whether I should stay on 8.02 and only update when I have the time to fix these level (or are there other) issues..

Last edited:
No clue what you're talking about. Upload a preset or a few so we can concretely see.

Well that is helpful anyway. Are you saying that levels changing as part of a firmware update are not normal? Thanks.

Well that is helpful anyway. Are you saying that levels changing as part of a firmware update are not normal? Thanks.
No I'm saying that I can't comment on what's happened with your presets without seeing the presets.

Ceci n'est pas un rant.

I've had an Axe-FX Standard since Nov, 2007 - Firmware 4.0. I've gone through probably 100 firmware updates (including betas). While the firmware updates are extremely appreciated (bug fixes, new amps, new FX), many of the changes which improve/change the underlying algorithms absolutely mutate patches. I've basically stopped wasting time updating, tweaking and fixing patches about 3 years ago - really, what is the point if the patch radically changes with each firmware update? Imagine if every time Microsoft updated Word, it caused your old documents to be gibberish? Now I'm sure people will chime in "no one is forcing you to update the firmware," but that is not at all true. Firmware updates usually includes bug fixes, new amps, new fx, new cabs besides Cliff hitting his head on a toilet bowl while uanging a clock and inventing the flux capacitor. So as Bart Simpson once answered the question "what is a Paradox"? Answer - "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

Welcome to Fractal World.

Ok, now I get it. Upgrade if I want, but be prepared for anything. Cheers.

Will make sure I have time up my sleeve for the next firmware. I do wonder if it's possible to create new firmware that doesn't mess with things. But I imagine if it could be done that way they would.

Ceci n'est pas un rant.

I've had an Axe-FX Standard since Nov, 2007 - Firmware 4.0. I've gone through probably 100 firmware updates (including betas). While the firmware updates are extremely appreciated (bug fixes, new amps, new FX), many of the changes which improve/change the underlying algorithms absolutely mutate patches. I've basically stopped wasting time updating, tweaking and fixing patches about 3 years ago - really, what is the point if the patch radically changes with each firmware update? Imagine if every time Microsoft updated Word, it caused your old documents to be gibberish? Now I'm sure people will chime in "no one is forcing you to update the firmware," but that is not at all true. Firmware updates usually includes bug fixes, new amps, new fx, new cabs besides Cliff hitting his head on a toilet bowl while uanging a clock and inventing the flux capacitor. So as Bart Simpson once answered the question "what is a Paradox"? Answer - "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

Welcome to Fractal World.

+1

Aussi n'est pas un rant.

This issue is what holds the AxeFX back from having a healthy preset sharing community like Kemper does. Because of firmware incompatibility, only maybe 1% of the presets in Axechange are usable.

One of the main reasons I don't post a grip of presets! OTOH if they happen to be effect centrick or tone specific it is rather nice to see how it was constructed as a frame of reference! one can always change the amp and/or cab.

Don't know about the AX8, but firmware updates on the II require validation and adjustment of every patch, or even every scene. I only update when a major change is made, as readjusting levels and default amp parameters (when the amp block needs a reset) is a nightmare.

v6 or Quantum 6, I don't know right now. I just update via FracBot. Perhaps carnage gives the wrong impression. Basically I had even levels across my live presets and during last practice there were plenty of eye popping moments. Perhaps not "carnage" in the eyes of some but certainly a problem when playing live. Without a doubt, requires going through my whole setup and setting levels again.

v6 or Quantum 6, I don't know right now. I just update via FracBot. Perhaps carnage gives the wrong impression. Basically I had even levels across my live presets and during last practice there were plenty of eye popping moments. Perhaps not "carnage" in the eyes of some but certainly a problem when playing live. Without a doubt, requires going through my whole setup and setting levels again.
Understood. I get that it's no fun.

I agree, each firmware update requires review of all presets, and usually the levels need special attention.

I think that the AxeLive smart reset for the amp block helps a lot, but a review is always needed anyway.

You can choose which parameters to keep, and which to update. It does not avoid the level changes, but they get easier to manage..

No clue what you're talking about.
I don't come here too often, and I've known about 8.02 beta and final having "level issues" for a good while now...

I've read a bit that prepared me for some level issues
And it seems clear to me that the OP gathered the same feelings before patching.

How can this be a surprise for a Mod, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom