Firmware Update Good Practices

I always:

- backup first
- flash new firmware
- load new factory presets if there are new ones
- system reset
- update all presets

This has been giving me consistent results.

I do "update all presets" after I load back my personal presets too.

I like to re-audition the factory banks after a firmware update. I more often than not find another gem in there that I overlooked before. Like in V14, I changed the cab for the "The Brown Sound" preset to the UR version of Guitar Hack This One.... that factory preset is killer!

Back up first is always a good idea. I'll always check to see if there are electrical storms in the area before I do the flash.

I always:

- backup first
- flash new firmware
- load new factory presets if there are new ones
- system reset
- update all presets

This has been giving me consistent results.

I do "update all presets" after I load back my personal presets too.

I like to re-audition the factory banks after a firmware update. I more often than not find another gem in there that I overlooked before. Like in V14, I changed the cab for the "The Brown Sound" preset to the UR version of Guitar Hack This One.... that factory preset is killer!

That pretty much sounds like what I do. Before this I also make sure I am not running any other programs on the PC, and will sometimes shut down extra running processes I dont need.

I also unplug the USB before turning the Axe back on.

With recent FW being available perhaps it's time to revisit this thread...

I've always found the update process confusing. My goal is to load software and then tweak presets knowing that what I'm hearing is how FW X is supposed to sound. I don't want to tweak for a day only to realize that I should have done an "Update All Presets" first, or that I should have loaded FW again.

I'm going to throw this procedure out there and maybe others can modify it:

1. Compile a list of your critical presets
2. Using FractalBot, do a complete backup.
3. Backup all banks and system onboard.
4. Load new FW.
5. Load the new FW again.
6. Load all factory presets.
7. Restore critical presets from backup (Either from onboard backup, or FractalBot).
8. Perform an Update All Presets.

Tweak knowing you have updated everything.

With recent FW being available perhaps it's time to revisit this thread...

I've always found the update process confusing. My goal is to load software and then tweak presets knowing that what I'm hearing is how FW X is supposed to sound. I don't want to tweak for a day only to realize that I should have done an "Update All Presets" first, or that I should have loaded FW again.

I'm going to throw this procedure out there and maybe others can modify it:

1. Compile a list of your critical presets
2. Using FractalBot, do a complete backup.
3. Backup all banks and system onboard.
4. Load new FW.
5. Load the new FW again.
6. Load all factory presets.
7. Restore critical presets from backup (Either from onboard backup, or FractalBot).
8. Perform an Update All Presets.

Tweak knowing you have updated everything.

I just go with #4 and forget the rest. Maybe backup at #1. Never had any issues. I don't see the value in #5 unless you have an issue after #4. It's just as likely to go in perfect first time and get screwed up second time as it is vice versa. Though I suspect neither are very likely. Why would you do #6 if there are no new presets? Why would you do #8 unless the firmware called that out, is that feature even there any more?

1. Backup critical presets (if they have changed since last update).
2. Load new firmware.

Done.

I just go with #4 and forget the rest. Maybe backup at #1. Never had any issues. I don't see the value in #5 unless you have an issue after #4. It's just as likely to go in perfect first time and get screwed up second time as it is vice versa. Though I suspect neither are very likely.
I've read more than once on the forum that things don't sound right after loading new FW and a reload fixes it. If there's a chance that FW isn't going to initialize everything properly on a single load then I would suggest just doing two installs off the bat. The goal here is to just go through the process one time.

Why would you do #6 if there are no new presets?
Many times a new batch of factory presets is released with FW. The new presets may have been factory tweaked to manage levels and/or set default values.

Why would you do #8 unless the firmware called that out, is that feature even there any more?
I thought this might be needed when restoring presets from a backup. The old presets may have to have values initializes.

I keep it pretty simple.

First, play a few of your fav presets. Just so you can remember how they sound "before" the update.

Then, backup EVERYTHING, even cab user slots. Then load the new firmware using fractal-bot.

I ALWAYS, watch the Axe front panel, cause fractal-bot is usually done before the installation is finished.
Then shut it down WHEN the front panel says to do so. Wait 5 secs or more (usually count it out) then reboot.

Now you have a fresh ear and you've heard how a few of your presets sound. Time to test it out.

Last but not least..........play!!! Have fun with it!!

Disclaimer up front: I don't really do this... but I think it would be cool... and have thought about it. (I just don't have this kind of time, and I'm not meticulous enough to carry this through.)

It would be cool to record a basic track, with rhythm and lead guitar that covered a fair amount of sonic ground and styles, and then re-amp those tracks with each successive FW update. That way you could have a definitive "before and after" picture of what the new FW gave you. You could then do a true side by side of of 17 vs 18 vs 19... Want to hear FW 12 vs FW 19? Hear you go.... I think that would be pretty cool.

In reality... my update process is really simple, and I don't do a whole ton of tweaking afterwards.
I back up everything with Fractal Bot, I load in the new FW, and I start playing. Then I smile.

On 18.12 it looks like the only choice now under utilities now is "Update amps defaults". I'm not sure what "Update amps defaults" does.

I do not see "Update all amps", "Update all presets", or Update all amps and presets" as choices now.

I used to backup everything, install new firmware, then hit update all amps and presets, then check my presets and adjust anything that needed adjusted.

This thread for me started out so promising and seems to have gone in a different direction.

I'd like to see a place, maybe in the Wiki, which explains the best practices when updating firmwares.

Don't get me wrong there is a lot of great information people are posting Thank you.

But having these somewhere more permanently accessible would be great. Aside from putting in in the wiki, perhaps Chris@... can help out with this.

:)

I understand the OP's concern - IIRC, lately Cliff has sad you do "not" need to update all presets..........so it still is somewhat......unclear a bit?

I do the same as most others-backup everything\Load new FW\update all presets\ then listen and go from there.

On 18.12 it looks like the only choice now under utilities now is "Update amps defaults". I'm not sure what "Update amps defaults" does.

I do not see "Update all amps", "Update all presets", or Update all amps and presets" as choices now.

I used to backup everything, install new firmware, then hit update all amps and presets, then check my presets and adjust anything that needed adjusted.

Your correct-just noticed that-thanks

Back
Top Bottom