Firmware update for Axe-Fx Ultra in 2021

ardi mulder

Can I do a firmware update and keep my personal patches? I did not touched the Axe-fx Ultra for 8 years and I would to update and use the Axe-fx to practise jazz. I see my firmware is 19 juni 2010. Can I do a firmware update from this version to the most recent firmware ?

Looking at my downloaded firmware versions, the date of 19 June 2010 matches my downloaded firmware version of 10.01 I used with my Axe-Fx Standard. (I think that the firmware download was different for the Ultra and the Standard, but they would almost certainly be released on the same date). The last firmware release was version 11.00 (my download for this is dated 8 May 2011), which was reached after intermediary releases from 10.01 of 10.02, 10.03, 10.04 and 10.05. I updated to each firmware release as they became available, and all my patches were kept ok. After updating the firmware I ran the Axe=Fx "Utility->Preset->Update All Presets" from the front panel to ensure that they work correctly with the new firmware.
I seem to recall that firmware version 11.00 included some of the V2 amp modelling techniques, and for me was by far the best sounding firmware version.
I've included the release notes from firmware version 10.01 to version 11.00 as follows:-

Axe-Fx Firmware Release Notes
NOTE: To encourage people to actually read these, firmware versions prior to 5.00 are now archived.
NOTE: IF UPGRADING FROM 6.07 OR EARLIER THE NEW INPUT VOLUME CONTROL WILL LIKELY NEED TO BE RESET AFTER INSTALLATION OF THE FIRMWARE. IN THE I/O->CTRL MENU SET “INTPUT VOLUME” TO “NONE” TO DEFEAT THIS FEATURE. YOU MAY NEED TO POWER CYCLE THE UNIT AFTER RESETTING THIS PARAMETER.
Updated power amp emulation. Uses some of the techniques from the Axe-Fx II. This produces tighter, more defined bass and also less flubiness when using high MV settings.
Fixed periodicity issue with white and pink noise generators in Synth block (Ultra only).
Fixed frequency errors in Resonator block (Ultra only).
Improved communication with MFC-101 to fix sync issue for presets with >90% CPU utilization.
Fixed popping when going to/from Euro Uber model.
Fixed incorrect calculation in amp block HF Resonance which results in too much HF Resonance under certain combinations of parameter values (damping and presence).
Updates to work with MFC-101 MIDI Foot Controller.
NOTE: You MUST update to Version 10.02 for use with the MFC-101. If you update to 10.02 you also MUST update to the latest version of Axe-Edit.
Fixed early reflections not audible in reverb block.

Firmware update do not change your presets. It might change the sound of them though, but if you don't like it, you can always go back again. Just reinstall the older firmware.

Back
Top Bottom