Firmware Question

Severed

Fractal Fanatic
As in, are we going to see all the updates, improvements, additions, and epiphanies that the Axe Fx III is getting?

(Obviously within the limits of its processing power).

If the answer is yes, then is it always going to be a few updates behind or are you guys planning to get them in unison?

I had thought I read that this was the case, but I think that was in the original FM3 forums? which was deleted, so I have not been able to find an actual statement from FAS on this.

So for clarifications sake, are you guys able to elaborate on this as its directly related to future purchasing for myself and probably many others.

Thanks

Historically, Fractal has always ported whatever it could between devices. Usually, the flagship (Axe-Fx) gets the new stuff first, but sometimes it's the floor unit first.

If you require that both devices be in lockstep with each other, then Fractal gear may not be for you. But to be honest, no other company does that either.

I am happy that I have the III for all the new goodies - but really hoping the FM3 gets some love soon. Honestly I am a bit disappointed in the lack of progress on the platform, but I understand it has been a long struggle. And the FM3 sounds incredible, so I admit I am just spoiled. :)

Historically, Fractal has always ported whatever it could between devices. Usually, the flagship (Axe-Fx) gets the new stuff first, but sometimes it's the floor unit first.

If you require that both devices be in lockstep with each other, then Fractal gear may not be for you. But to be honest, no other company does that either.
Thanks, yes I've been around here for a while now and I know the history.

What I'm asking about is the future, and looking for official information.

Cheers

It’s mostly irrelevant here, but Line6 does (HX stomp, HX effects and Helix products).

Surprised we have see anything lately for the FM3. Especially when there are still things to fix, that many have been vocal about. Hopefully this thing gets some decent updates.

Yes it seems the AX3 definitely has put some distance between the 2 products again I think we are waiting on
comp block New models
pitch block Overhaul
drive block Overhaul and new models
and Speaker compression

Hopefully after the next bug fix release we can get back to some cool stuff

I assume the delay is that they're still trying to figure out and fix the bugs. After that (or along with that) I'd think the rest of the updates are waiting to happen. Also hopefully Performance Pages!

And yes, anything Line6 related is completely irrelevant to this thread :)

It’s mostly irrelevant here, but Line6 does (HX stomp, HX effects and Helix products).
I didn't know that. Though that's easier to do when you only kick out two or three firmware releases a year.

But it raises a question. The only way to synchronize updates across devices is to delay the release of one device's update to let the other devices catch up. Would you really want that? And wouldn't you be able to do that yourself by delaying installation of new firmware until the other device catches up?

Perform pages were added back in fw6 of the Axefx3 and I believe the FM3 has received some of the features updates like the DC-30 EF86 amp from fw 11. So it’s release could be impacted by the capabilities of the hardware or its related to the compiler bug mentioned last year. I personally like that feature on the AxeFx3 and would like to see it in my FM3.

However, I don’t expect the FM3 to be at parity with the AxeFx3 because they’re two different hardware platforms and FAS is doing their best to offer two price points without sacrificing quality.

I assume the delay is that they're still trying to figure out and fix the bugs. After that (or along with that) I'd think the rest of the updates are waiting to happen. Also hopefully Performance Pages!

And yes, anything Line6 related is completely irrelevant to this thread :)
Except the way they release updates.

Last edited:
Hopefully they can work out the bugs for the USB recording as I imagine it's a pretty important feature for some, but I'm mainly looking forward to those pitch block updates that the Axe III got :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes: Functionally it just seems so useful compared to other blocks getting updates as the latency in the pitch block is pretty noticeable and difficult to play with right now.

For clarification, I am only concerned with FAS's handling of their products.

pretty simple and straight fwd question I am asking here. Line6, Kemper, Headrush, etc, have absolutely nothing to do with my question as this isn't a comparison vs the competition.

If you want to debate that bullshit, there's The Gear Page, or the Lounge section, thanks.

are-we-there-yet.jpg

We will get fewer (less frequent), more comprehensive, more stable, and probably less buggy updates. We’ll always be playing catch-up to the III. To me, this is ok. In fact, I’m a big proponent of this schema. Let the III crowd constantly fiddle with their presets with rapid fire betas if they so choose. I lived that life with the II, which was fun, but...

Back
Top Bottom