Firmware forecast?

I wish I knew what pedals actually sounded like in real life. I played a few fuzz pedals recently and they feel much more unruly that the axefx types of fuzz, but i really wouldn't know. I'd like some more fuzz options.

I can, without any doubt, forecast there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth at how peoples tones have been destroyed and/or great rejoicing at the tones of angels that it brings. there will also be questions of why Cliff changed an amp, when no changed was made.

like death and taxes....

I can, without any doubt, forecast there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth at how peoples tones have been destroyed and/or great rejoicing at the tones of angels that it brings. there will also be questions of why Cliff changed an amp, when no changed was made.

like death and taxes....

This would funny if it wasn't true.........

I hope Drive Pedals improvements!! :D my T808 was completely different from what's inside the axe!!

+1

Having owned some of the pedals in the drive block (BB Preamp, Fuzzface, Rat, Fulldrive, Metal Zone, Big Muff, SD-1, TS9, and Zendrive), I would say that the models are close, but could use some work.

On a side note, I actually like the Axe's Zendrive better than the real pedal. I struggled with that pedal on my board for months trying to like it because of the hype, but ended up dumping it for a BB Preamp and Menatone Red Snapper.

I predict 94% of users will say it's the best ever, and 6% will be hesitant to upgrade fearing changes to their tone.

It's really interesting how we get a new firmware that according to Cliff changes very little to nothing that would impact tone and yet there will be a bunch of threads with people saying there patches sound like crap. It's just nuts. I do very little to nothing when we get new firmware. From 17 to 18 I had to tweak some stuff but all the inbetween hardly touch anything unless my tastes change which doesn't happen often.

Last edited:
It's really interesting how we get a new firmware that according to Cliff changes very little to nothing that would impact tone and yet there will be a bunch of threads with people saying there patches sound like crap. It's just nuts. I do very little to nothing when we get new firmware. From 17 to 18 I had to tweak some stuff but all the inbetween hardly touch anything unless my tastes change which doesn't happen often.

I think what happens in some of the cases is that volumes change, and even something as small as that changes the tone perception greatly. But yeah most of the time I agree I hardly do much to move from one firmware to another.

I think it depend on the type of tone you are into. Im into super gainy stuff that might be affected less than something that's on the edge of breakup. I could be wrong.

I'm hoping Cliff gets his hands on a PRS Archon schematic..that might be the only amp I still have some GAS for..Really crossing my fingers for this next update :encouragement:

Rotti has got it they are pretty close to a VH4 ch3 but have some differences

they are kind of a mix of Diezel/recto/Jcm800

the Diezel is close but the Archon has more gain than the V4 Ch3, so you would need to clean boost it or jack up the input gain.
Also its a 6l6 loaded amp.

I actually think a Recto with a Jcm800 tone stack and boost will get you close as well .you will have to then tweak presence and depth, dampening a bit

Rotti has got it they are pretty close to a VH4 ch3 but have some differences

they are kind of a mix of Diezel/recto/Jcm800

the Diezel is close but the Archon has more gain than the V4 Ch3, so you would need to clean boost it or jack up the input gain.
Also its a 6l6 loaded amp.

I actually think a Recto with a Jcm800 tone stack and boost will get you close as well .you will have to then tweak presence and depth, dampening a bit
Mmmm... hard to really agree or disagree, since the VH4 went through so many changes early on, but mine had more gain than any other amp I've ever touched. 5150, voodoo modded rectos, uberschall, smoked 'em all without breaking a sweat.

That said, for some reason, the VH4 in the Axe is one of those models that's quiet relative to the others. This could be because its a very compressed kind of high gain? Bring up the output level (and possibly but not necessarily the MV) and it really starts to shine.

That's probably it with regards to updates for the axe fx is now that it is no longer being made.

Only fw for xl and xl+ I think.

Fw 18.12 is the best axe fx software i have ever tried ;)

G3,is a big thing. I hope cliff leves the amp`s (g3) alone for some time. As it sounds sooo good now
Fw 18.12..is a keeper (this will be a fw that i will keep in a folder on my harddrive)

The blankenship is sick!
the jcm 800 is soo good
BE-HBE shines
ac 20 ohh my
Recto`s.. mhhh
as well.. with ALOT of other amps as well. It just sounds "GooD"

I dont need another guitar amp sim.. i got like 130 amps. We need good ir`s. Cab pack 10.. the Brown,and Fuzz (dont remember) in a stereo UR cab,left and right.... maaaannn ! Works with Clean... and Hi-gain.
I will be doing some video`s of some prestets i made. It`s soo easy now..... tip: Enhancer block :)

I`m a happy camper :)

Last edited:
my ears are mostly shot so many a times i can't pick out subtle changes introduced by the new firmware. but all's good nonetheless, knowing the fas team is always striving for greater heights.
hence i foresee myself giving the guys a thumbs up when the next update rolls round the corner.

Back
Top Bottom