Firmware Development Implications

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
I've owned an Ultra for several years and have used it exclusively for gigging for as long as I've owned it. I have over 200 presets I've developed for it, which is the reason I have not yet migrated to the Axe II for gigging.

I own an Axe II XL as well, and have been using it for recording and enjoyment at home. After becoming accustomed to the II, I have finally reached the point where I am no longer satisfied with the Ultra for live use. I am preparing for the arduous task of recreating all of my presets for use with the II.

My question is really one that only Cliff can answer, even though even he cannot predict the future or know where his R&D will take him. That question is; can you foresee future firmware updates that would significantly change the nature of a preset? Or do you believe that the amp modelling has reached a point where the differences in firmware would require only minor tweaking?

I've struggled with the question of whether to migrate since I first purchased and played through the II. At first, I didn't believe the time and effort to recreate the presets was worth it. But the II has become SO good and SO realistic, I can no longer convince myself that the effort will not pay off. I just want to know what I might be up against with respect to developing firmware.

My sincere thanks.

I can not speak for Cliff, but what I can tell you is that for me and my own personal presets I only do the most minor tweaks after a update if at all. There have been several updates that I did not need to tweak at all. I'm not on the very latest yet I'm on 3.0 still but I didn't touch anything on that update.

That's a question that's been asked SINCE the Ultra (and Standard days)... the real truth is that this is an ever evolving platform (the Axe-fx family of products). No one has ever been forced to update to any given firmware, and if a person can be happy with the functionality or 'quality' of a given firmware then by all means stay put.

With regards to 'the nature of a preset' the only significant change that I can recall has been the addition of scenes a couple years back. I don't remember what that did to our presets or whether we had to start from scratch... which I don't remember having to do so.

You could always bring both units to a gig and as you migrate your patches, you can go between the patches that work and don't work.

Yeah having to retweak presets is the price of progress when it comes to firmware updates. The positive thing about frequent updates is that each change tends to be incremental and not so drastic. In other words, each update usually only requires minimal tweaks if any to get back to where you were. The longer you wait between firmware updates, the more likely it is that you will have to do more extensive retweaking of your presets. The most I've ever had to do is reset a block or two and retweak the settings a bit from where they were. I've never had to start from scratch unless I wanted to.

i remember seeing in one of the firmware threads that he said its getting to that point where there are only gonna be so many more updates to the modeling, i wouldnt let progression be a deterrent to you regardless

I've owned an Ultra for several years and have used it exclusively for gigging for as long as I've owned it. I have over 200 presets I've developed for it, which is the reason I have not yet migrated to the Axe II for gigging.

I own an Axe II XL as well, and have been using it for recording and enjoyment at home. After becoming accustomed to the II, I have finally reached the point where I am no longer satisfied with the Ultra for live use. I am preparing for the arduous task of recreating all of my presets for use with the II.

My question is really one that only Cliff can answer, even though even he cannot predict the future or know where his R&D will take him. That question is; can you foresee future firmware updates that would significantly change the nature of a preset? Or do you believe that the amp modelling has reached a point where the differences in firmware would require only minor tweaking?

I've struggled with the question of whether to migrate since I first purchased and played through the II. At first, I didn't believe the time and effort to recreate the presets was worth it. But the II has become SO good and SO realistic, I can no longer convince myself that the effort will not pay off. I just want to know what I might be up against with respect to developing firmware.

My sincere thanks.
I doubt if even Cliff knows the answer.

Last edited:
200 seems like a lot of presets to me. I know everyone has different needs but by adding scenes you could probably cut down on the number of presets you need significantly. Also, I find the newer firmwares need a lot less deep tweaking than the earlier ones.

I'll just assume it may or may not be an issue, and just get to the job of migration. I'm just not looking forward to recreating presets like this, knowing they may change several times afterward.

Foreplay Longtime.jpg

It is what it is.

I'll just assume it may or may not be an issue, and just get to the job of migration. I'm just not looking forward to recreating presets like this, knowing they may change several times afterward.

View attachment 32273

It is what it is.

To be fair, though: Does the complexity of a preset really matter if only the amp's sound and behavior is altered by a new firmware release? I have the impression that the effects have been pretty stable for a while.

I'm just not looking forward to recreating presets like this, knowing they may change several times afterward.

I would say don't update but tweaking has gotten easier with each update. Recent firmwares add features that really don't need to be accessed for existing presets. Just adjust basic amp controls if needed and all is good. but when you need that little extra somethin' somethin' bump the xformer grind or harmonics a bit. IMO

To be fair, though: Does the complexity of a preset really matter if only the amp's sound and behavior is altered by a new firmware release? I have the impression that the effects have been pretty stable for a while.

The effects have changed since the initial release. Small differences in various blocks can add up. I'm going forward, but since I haven't gigged with developing firmware, I'm entering uncharted territory.

the newest axe fx platform sounds so much better in my ears I do not think you will need all those peq to get your tone. don't get me wrong I still have an ultra myself but the xl is much quicker for getting good tones with minor tweaks.

The effects have changed since the initial release. Small differences in various blocks can add up. I'm going forward, but since I haven't gigged with developing firmware, I'm entering uncharted territory.

Fair enough. I assumed that your FW wasn't *that* far behind.

Hey steadystate, why don't you post some recordings with your AFX2? You're a great player with a great ear, & the couple recordings you shared in the past using your Ultra( Eruption & Heartbreaker) were extremely popular at the time for sure........

Back
Top Bottom