Firmware, Axe-Edit, and Mac OS Question

Overdrive

Inspired
Due to compatibility with an "older" audio interface with my iMac, I cannot upgrade the OS further until I get a new interface. The Axe-Edit update will not work with my OS, so I'm using an older Axe-Edit.

Dumb question, but if I upgrade the firmware and presets, will the current Axe-Edit "work" with them?

I definitely can't update Axe-Edit, I tried and it will not work with my OS. I was wondering if the older Axe-Edit I use would still control an Axe-Fx II with current, updated firmware... Was hoping someone else was in this boat and already knew. Worst case, I can update and see if it works, I expect there's a way to rollback to a previous firmware version.

I definitely can't update Axe-Edit, I tried and it will not work with my OS. I was wondering if the older Axe-Edit I use would still control an Axe-Fx II with current, updated firmware... Was hoping someone else was in this boat and already knew. Worst case, I can update and see if it works, I expect there's a way to rollback to a previous firmware version.
The answer is.. IT DEPENDS!
Each new AE release addresses new features that Cliff has added to the firmware. If you stick with version n.nn of AE, it WILL scan for block updates, but it will probably be unaware of new firmware features.
If you stick with matching firmware and AE versions, you'll be fine.
If you continue to update the firmware and NOT AE, you WILL have issues sooner or later.

Here are some interesting facts: Axe-Edit 3.x has been around since at least 2013 (4 years and counting), and has required Mac OS 10.6.8 since then (and still only requires 10.6.8).

Thanks for the responses. Once I'm home I'll check versions. But it seems like it would be safer not to upgrade until I get a new interface. I've been reluctant to buy an expensive new interface with similar capabilities and quality and throw out a perfectly good ProFire 2626 because they won't update the drivers any more.

The 2626 is over a decade old now. But it had driver support all the way through El Cap (10.11).

If your Mac is at least Snow Leopard (10.6), which was released in 2009 and stopped updating in 2011, then the latest Axe-Edit should work - according to the requirement of needing 10.6.8 or later.

I'll definitely check the versions tonight. But I didn't upgrade the OS for a LONG time until they updated the drivers, then upgraded the OS as high as M-Audio said it would support. Then later I updated Axe-Edit and it told me it would not work with my OS version.

The 2626 is over a decade old now. But it had driver support all the way through El Cap (10.11).

If your Mac is at least Snow Leopard (10.6), which was released in 2009 and stopped updating in 2011, then the latest Axe-Edit should work - according to the requirement of needing 10.6.8 or later.

I have OS 10.8.6 on that computer, and my Axe-Edit is 3.5.0. When I updated Axe-Edit, it said it would not work with the current OS, although I can't recall the number it said it was compatible with.

When M-Audio finally released a driver update, it said it would work with 10.10.1, and it was the final driver they would ever release. I'm not sure why I stopped at 10.8.6, but remember I had a reason.

I guess it has to be done at some point. Looks like the Focusrite Clarett 8Pre will give me the same capabilities for a mere $800. Sigh.

I have OS 10.8.6 on that computer, and my Axe-Edit is 3.5.0. When I updated Axe-Edit, it said it would not work with the current OS, although I can't recall the number it said it was compatible with.

When M-Audio finally released a driver update, it said it would work with 10.10.1, and it was the final driver they would ever release. I'm not sure why I stopped at 10.8.6, but remember I had a reason.

I guess it has to be done at some point. Looks like the Focusrite Clarett 8Pre will give me the same capabilities for a mere $800. Sigh.

You are in luck because Axe-Edit 3.13.0 still works with Mac OS 10.6.8. What does not work is the Fractal USB audio driver (source), which you probably don't need since you're using an interface.

what features do you need in the interface?

Thunderbolt
S/PDIF In
ADAT/Optical In
2 - 4 mic preamps
4 - 8 Analog In
6 - 8 Out
24 bit, 48 kHz, etc.
Phantom power

And a software mixer with simple, clear routing options; ability to type in a numerical value for level for the Axe-Fx would be nice, since I play louder when I'm just playing, softer when I'm tracking/playing with existing tracks--but presets might work.

One more interface "feature": under $1000! I'm starting to record other people, so I need more inputs, which I'm probably trading for converter and preamp quality. I could probably get by with a 2 In Apollo or Apogee, but I might get in a band again and end up recording more than just me, the Axe, the bass through the Axe, and Superior Drummer. :) I just can't justify spending boatloads of money on it, I'm nearing retirement--that money might need to go to long term care down the road! :)

Thunderbolt
This definitely limits your options. USB is fast enough for sure, no need for Thunderbolt I'd say.

You should look at something like the X32 Rack by behringer. I think they just did another price drop. Best USB interface I've ever used and it also happens to be a 22-in 14-out (expandable) badass digital mixer ;)

This definitely limits your options. USB is fast enough for sure, no need for Thunderbolt I'd say.

You should look at something like the X32 Rack by behringer. I think they just did another price drop. Best USB interface I've ever used and it also happens to be a 22-in 14-out (expandable) badass digital mixer ;)

Holy cow, that looks like the space shuttle dashboard! I haven't totally ruled out ever playing out again and I don't have a mixer...

I second the vote for the x-32 Rack.... Love mine and traslates really well into Logic. It is the most versatile piece of kit that I have really ever owned (outside of my AXEFX of course)... Great A/D conversion in my opionion and super clean pre-amps. Super deal for the price, and the best routing options I have seen for the price. Plus, Behrigher has been very successful here and is constantly updateing the mixer interface.

Back
Top Bottom