Firmware 5 - High Freq Res

JohnLutz

*** EDIT *** EDIT *** EDIT *** EDIT *** EDIT *** EDIT *** EDIT ***
Ok, I tried again. This time using the standard following steps...

* Reset amp
* Put tone knobs at 5
* LEAVE DYNAMICS AND MOTOR ALONE

I get it now. It's sounding great and the HF transformer works well to tame harshness if needed. Sorry for making you swear Cliff. Will you forgive me?

My impression of firmware 5.0 after tweaking my five main presets...

* I like the dynamic settings
* I really miss the high frequency resonance setting

The biggest issue that I run into when dialing in presets is harsh ice-picky highs. For me, firmware 4 with the high frequency resonance setting was amazing... one parameter let me get rid of the harshness. Now with firmware 5, I'm back to tweaking lots of parameters to tame the harshness.

John

Last edited:
My impression of firmware 5.0 after tweaking my five main presets...

* I like the dynamic settings
* I really miss the high frequency resonance setting

The biggest issue that I run into when dialing in presets is harsh ice-picky highs. For me, firmware 4 with the high frequency resonance setting was amazing... one parameter let me get rid of the harshness. Now with firmware 5, I'm back to tweaking lots of parameters to tame the harshness.

John

+1000!!!

With so many ways to influence frequency content, I didn't notice. There are even these hi and low freq cut offs on the speaker page, so if you use the hi freq cut off it should help:

"For convenience, the transformer low-cut and high-cut frequencies are now present on the SPKR page and their influence on the open-loop response is reflected in the impedance graph."

Same boat - in another thread we were just discussing how you can use the Spkr Res and Q to tame the high frequency distortion on some trebly setups. Maybe the setting that's left will be enough but it's not quite as surgical. I wonder why those settings were removed - they were just getting their recognition.

We are simply saying that your high freq. tailoring feature with res. and boost was a very usable feature (great for controlling fizziness & adding definition) - it is simply missed...

Guys, let's take a breath. I'm a hypocrite for saying that seeing as how I've been huffing and puffing about this all day. But Cliff has shown time and again that when concerns are raised, he addresses them as best he can. I'm going to try and tone down my hyperbole a bit going forward.

Radley said:
We are simply saying that your high freq. tailoring feature with res. and boost was a very usable feature (great for controlling fizziness & adding definition) - it is simply missed...

Yep - that's it.

its not bitching its complementing an effort already achieved, take it as that. I know dont update...still wrong answer, there may always be good with bad, or perhaps some people feel expressing their opinion on a product may produce changes that the company may find useful and re incorporate in the future. Think of this as one big focus group. However if this board in general has rules against valid criticism and free speech it should be noted in the laws of the board, clearly.

Since we're already OT: Stop the drama, please. No rules against valid criticism, and the posts are still here, right? And secondly: Free speech as a concept does not even apply here. You can complain IF you pay for web hosting, run your own board, do not break unrelated laws, and somebody still gets to remove or alter what you post.

That's about as pathetic of a response I have ever seen from any company. I'll be sure to remember that the next time I think about buying an MFC or the impending Axe III that these firmware updates are ultimately leading too!

You be quiet!! No more comments from the penny section!!

That's about as pathetic of a response I have ever seen from any company. I'll be sure to remember that the next time I think about buying an MFC or the impending Axe III that these firmware updates are ultimately leading too!

come on, you're overreacting: of course no company would ever respond to a request with "bitch, bitch, bitch";
but no other company in this market has a true friendship relation with customers as FAS; and you can count on your right hand fingertips the company that are even remotely as fast in fulfilling customer's request as Cliff is.

Back
Top Bottom