Firmware 5.0 Tips

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but was wondering if the beta testers or people who have checked it out tonight have any tips for tweaking the new parameters. Is the Motor Drive in the Cab block the big one? How do you find the Dynamics settings in the Amp block are affecting things?

I'm rolling back to 4.01 for now. I'm not sure I like like the new simplification of the Hi Freq Res in the amp block, and my hi gain patches sound overly compressed. I also don't notice an audible difference in the noise gate response.

I'm sure it just needs some tweaking, but after months of using Axe-Edit I'm completely useless with front panel editing. Plus I want to see what an updated manual has to say about all the new parameters.

+1 - was a life saver at a gig, knowing what to do on the front panel!

+1

...In fact, I'd be scared "poop-less" if I did NOT know how to effectively patch-edit/tweak from my Axe-FX II's front-panel at my gigs!

(...btw, NO I do NOT want to bring & setup my laptop just to run Axe-Edit! That's just too much to think/worry about IMO!)

Bill

Yeah we are spoiled with the Editor.
It is important to know how to get around on the front panel, but much easier with editor of course. Especially X Y' ing to audtion changes.
I found motor to about 4. Like the dynamic about the same. But I seemed to need to add just a bit of presence. Still messing with it.

I started almost from scratch with 4.0 and had it pretty nice. Using the lonestar and plexi normal. removed all my r121's mics out of the cabs, just felt i didnt need the extra layer of eq.

Might need to do that again, but definitely going to wait for the updated editor for that.

Last edited:
I just spent some hours working on my tones for this week, very important rehearsal coming Thursday (note the signature link... please check it out!!) with the drummer we are using for the video session.

Here's a quickie guide to what I am doing now (remember that beta testing is more about breaking stuff and finding bugs; not taste testing). Now we are out of beta, I can have fun again and just listen and play!!

I am doing the following:

Dynamics: 50%
Speaker Motor Drive: 5:00

Everything else is stock default settings. Remember to change your amp type; then change it back to reset the default parameters into your amp block. Then only adjust the above settings and get ready to have fun. Sounds fantastic on EVERYTHING, very bouncy, 3D swirly fun!!!

Last edited:
:roll It's not that I CAN'T. I simply prefer working in Axe-Edit. It saves me loads of time.
You know I used to feel the same way for a long time with the Ultra, but just going into the menu from time to time to make a tweak here and there and next thing I knew I was using it all the time. It's really just a matter of getting used to navigating it. No need to rush into it.

Heck, just use AxeEdit as usual (if it even works at all at this point) and adjust the new stuff from the front panel. If you can connect I don't think that they changed all the code for all the parameters in this update.

Try 5.00 aka 'noon'. ;) :D

Check post #10.

Hi Scott,

just supported your Project on GBS Detroit, and I hope will be a great Video... and now I would like to ask you if this setting on DYN you made it for playing into Amp, or just for recording? I have done as you said with 5.00 at 'noon' and I'm loosing power. I can understand that this setting is for playing thru Amp.
I'll be glad to hear your opinion about this setting.
And hope that you'll make a good Video with Laura and will bring you there where you want to be. Good luck at the session!!!

Gabriel

View attachment 9011

Hi Scott,

just supported your Project on GBS Detroit, and I hope will be a great Video... and now I would like to ask you if this setting on DYN you made it for playing into Amp, or just for recording? I have done as you said with 5.00 at 'noon' and I'm loosing power. I can understand that this setting is for playing thru Amp.
I'll be glad to hear your opinion about this setting.
And hope that you'll make a good Video with Laura and will bring you there where you want to be. Good luck at the session!!!

Gabriel

View attachment 9011

First - thanks for your support! Totally and sincerely appreciated.

Secondly, I should note I am an FRFR guy. I would use this setting for live or recording; and remember that these are starting points only, you will need to tweak them to your taste, situation and preferences.

First - thanks for your support! Totally and sincerely appreciated.

Secondly, I should note I am an FRFR guy. I would use this setting for live or recording; and remember that these are starting points only, you will need to tweak them to your taste, situation and preferences.

Ok ..thanks for the answer.. I'll try to find the real setting.. I'm using the Axe most for recordings, from time to time for live gigs...
Thanks !

Ok ..thanks for the answer.. I'll try to find the real setting.. I'm using the Axe most for recordings, from time to time for live gigs...
Thanks !

What sort of guitar do you play, what style of music? I could be more specific with suggestions if you like.

Initial observations:

Switching amp type off & back will load default value for dynamics.

This will increase low mids in your patch depending on amount of content you have in that range (that's in FW notes).

This in turn can increase output of patch, which can clip outputs if you were on edge of that before.

You can tame low-mids without touching amp EQ block using motor drive.

Motor drive AFAIK doesn't load a default value, so play, listen to amount of low-mid, and keep doing that as you turn up motor drive.

This will compress those lower mids a bit and bring them back under control.

As motor drive goes up, compression increases and cab tone morphs. Do this to taste, but remember increasing motor affects dynamics & you can suck the bounce and feel out of the tone if you're not paying attention.

What sort of guitar do you play, what style of music? I could be more specific with suggestions if you like.

I have a PRS 513 and because of my Karaoke Production i have to play all kind of genres ... till now I'm very happy with the axe, just wanted to better understand the new function of the new FW... it sound much better as the 4.01 but it's a taste point of view... Hope that I'll have the time to dig more into DYN function ...
Thanks for your answer and your time...

Back
Top Bottom