Firmware 3.0 Beta - Output volume drop ?

CurvedLight

Inspired
Just loaded FW 3.0 Beta - ALL patches are at about 1/2 the volume then FW2.05 .
I see this on SPDIF/OUT , Headphones out and on confirmed on front panel Output meters as well

Also loaded EJ CLEAN patch (95) and When I turn up my monitors up a bit I am hearing distortion - and I normally never hear distortion on this patch.

I reset the amp blocks ---- no change
checked my IO output settings - no changes

Any one else experiencing this ?

Off to re-download and re-install

Note: In my original post I was mistaken about the front output meter, the meters were the same.

OK - so reinstalled the SAME downloaded Firmware file and the problem went away -

I how have Normal volume on headphone out and SPDIF and Patch 95 EJ Clean sounds as it should - no distortion.

I thought the SPDIF issues my have been caused by my interface but since the headphone out had the same issues I think we could rule that out.

Weird - but I have seen stranger things happen in my days of embedded systems development of set top boxes, smart TVs and media players after firmware updates back when I was working at Intel......

Yes but this sort of solution recurrently comes back over the years.. . Very strange
I have a theory: it’s the 5 second wait after power off. That if you don’t really wait 5 seconds you end up with some artifacts in the volatile memory that cause issues. It’s unfounded. But I can’t comprehend how a reload might help. It’s check-summed and verified post-transfer to the hardware.

I have a theory: it’s the 5 second wait after power off. That if you don’t really wait 5 seconds you end up with some artifacts in the volatile memory that cause issues. It’s unfounded. But I can’t comprehend how a reload might help. It’s check-summed and verified post-transfer to the hardware.
Sounds more likely than a problem with corruption of firmware during installation.

There's multiple levels of error checking. First the USB endpoint is a bulk endpoint so it has guaranteed transmission. Then each packet has a checksum. Then the entire image has a checksum. Finally the image written to the FLASH is compared to the downloaded image byte-by-byte. It's virtually impossible to have corrupted firmware image.

I sometimes wait 15 seconds instead of 5, I think it makes it sound better! :D

Maybe it's just bad luck / coincidence? Like a bad cable / connection playing up after having updated the firmware, which happens to disappear after reinstalling.

I don’t know software, but wouldn’t some sort of corruption result in stuff not working at all, or sounding completely awful ?

To basically have things still work, but at half output volume, seems like it would of required corruption only in very specific places, yet not affect a ton of other things, and that seems highly unlikely.

Again, I don’t know software, so I’m guessing here , but that just seems highly unlikely, no?

I don’t know software, but wouldn’t some sort of corruption result in stuff not working at all, or sounding completely awful ?

To basically have things still work, but at half output volume, seems like it would of required corruption only in very specific places, yet not affect a ton of other things, and that seems highly unlikely.

Again, I don’t know software, so I’m guessing here , but that just seems highly unlikely, no?
Yea. It’s so unlikely it’d be corrupt AND functional.

A corrupted firmware image would most likely result in a non-functional unit. The odds that a bit got corrupted and that just happened to reduce the volume rather than cause the processor to crash are 1:10^1000.

That’s a whole metric shitload of zero’s.

There's multiple levels of error checking. First the USB endpoint is a bulk endpoint so it has guaranteed transmission. Then each packet has a checksum. Then the entire image has a checksum. Finally the image written to the FLASH is compared to the downloaded image byte-by-byte. It's virtually impossible to have corrupted firmware image.

Having experience in DSP and embedded systems update methodologies and knowing that Cliff is extremely through, I expected the update process would be bullet proof with multiple checks to ensure successful updates. Cliff thanks for taking the time to explain it.

For the record, I waited longer then 5 seconds to reboot on my update that had wonky output volume ( as I always do :))

I appreciate the help here. I am glad I was able to remedy the situation regardless of what the issues was. I was never really concerned as my unit is still under warranty and FAS has the best customer service.

I spent last evening and plan on spending the rest of the day exploring and playing with this update. It sounds and feels great. What I have noticed is that individual notes in chords when there is moderate gain seem to ring out with more definition. Also on lean to mean type patches the volume knob sensitivity/range seems to be more increased a bit

Back
Top Bottom