Firmware 13 BETA Feedback?

That's not what scientific theory means (although, to be fair, it was wembley that misused the term first)

To be accurate, what he's talking about are actually scientific hypotheses.

Fascinating. I looked up the definition of both and had no idea I was misusing the word "theory". I suspect most people are, which is unfortunate.

Terry.

I find myself using the Axe more and more, but I was commenting more about the industry as a whole, world wide music production.

Us FAS forumites better be using the AxeFx! :)

Sure I know what you meant, but to be fair, when speaking about the industry as a whole there is still quite few Axe Fx's out there even if several very high profile players, producers and engineers are joining the ranks, so no surprise that most are still using conventional rigs.
I do believe that the number of studios that are going to be using an Axe, one of the K-thingies or another modeller for a large part of their recordings are going to increase tremendously in the next couple of years.

Pretty off topic, but in american English "theory" and "scientific theory" are two very different things. "Theory" is closer to scientific hypothesis as has been mentioned. Inversely, "Scientific theory" is closer to "known fact". OK sorry for the tangential post.

I hate the guy that asks this question, so I will take one for the team...

Any new amps :)?
I wouldn't expect any that aren't in 12.04b. I believe Cliff stated that 12.04 = 13 minus UltraRes

Therefore, UltraRes = 0.96 :geek

Reactions: yek
A theory is most definitely not a known fact. A fact is only useful in a limited situation, like this rock has a mass of 35 grams. A theory on the other hand is a huge unifying concept in Science. It can be used to make predictions and answers questions across many divergent areas...

I think logic would tell you that it is near impossible to make an exact digital representation of pretty much anything in the real world, especially when you have not only the pure analog electrical properties of all the amps, mics, speakers, cables, mic pres, power amps etc. but also the physical & mechanical properties of speakers, cabinets & the room environment. It is getting closer & closer & I am confident Cliff would not be doing ultrarez if it din't bring things closer still but I'm not holding my breath of exactly the same. I just don't think it is possible IMHO.

Well, consider that at a certain level there is a more space between matter than anything else, and I think your logic becomes very illogical. In other words while the "analog" world looks continuous and solid, it is not. Again, there is far more space in an atom than there is atom. At a certain resolution the space becomes imperceptible and everything thing seems solid. This is true with digital audio also. I guarantee you cannot tell the difference between 48khz sampled digital audio and analog, unless you can tell the digital by the decreased noise floor.

Further more, a guitar amp is far simpler than any living thing including a flower. It is perfectly reasonable to consider the operation of a physical device such as a tube or resister can be described mathematically to a degree that the digital model becomes indistinguishable from the real world device.

I suggest that the axeII operates at this level. First consider that norm is that not even two "identical" guitar amps sound and feel exactly the same. Perhaps the models in the axe don't sound exactly like your amp but it does sound like an amp; it will have the general essence of the modeled amp. It is as organic as as the real amps I am accustomed to and in many cases sounds better.

As they say, your mileage may vary.

Does the coconut have EL34's or 6L6's?

My bad, sorry, I meant to ask for the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow, not one carrying a coconut.

For my coconuts I generally prefer KT66's as you can squeeze more juice from them - Let me squeeze your coconuts baby, 'till the juice runs down your legs..........Dang it, I seem to get my classic quotes mixed up today :-(

I got back into guitar playing a few years ago...I happened to stop by a guitar store and plugged into a 15" Fender Twin. It was awesome. Hitting the low E string was like wow....ENVELOPED (as Scott said) with sound. I was going to buy, but the salesman said 'Hey buddy...you should really check out the AXE'.

Well...I went and bought it the I and now the II. I remember LOVING the buttery model on the I, but now all the amps sound amazing. Im LOVING the Matchless.

Anyway, Its been an incredible ride! As much fun playing as it has been to marvel at Cliffs intellectual output!

And this last firmware has been particularly sweet. The low end is just awesome. Im almost getting that 15" Twin sound!!!

But wait - When I read Scott's post I was startled! FW13 will have us ENVELOPED! Yes thats it!

WOW, "ENVELOPED" - it reminded me of playing that Fender in the guitar store.

That's a real achievement Cliff has accomplished. Just awesome. Cant wait to try it!

THANKS CLIFF!

I have a friend who is a quantum physics professor doing research into laser technology and it's uses with respect to computers etc. even stuff like that can lead to breakthroughs in this realm. Who knows what the future will bring with technology available. But I suspect that this sort of stuff will lead to better platforms capable of resolving what small differences in sound and tone that some believe they perceive between the Axe and a real cab.

The Axe is an awesome piece of gear and it's continued development is inspiring (and appreciated). Thanks Cliff and Fractal team! I'm happier than a pig in mud with this gear. Makes an old guys heart glad he lived to be a part of the Fractal journey.

Well, consider that at a certain level there is a more space between matter than anything else, and I think your logic becomes very illogical. In other words while the "analog" world looks continuous and solid, it is not. Again, there is far more space in an atom than there is atom. At a certain resolution the space becomes imperceptible and everything thing seems solid. This is true with digital audio also. I guarantee you cannot tell the difference between 48khz sampled digital audio and analog, unless you can tell the digital by the decreased noise floor.

Further more, a guitar amp is far simpler than any living thing including a flower. It is perfectly reasonable to consider the operation of a physical device such as a tube or resister can be described mathematically to a degree that the digital model becomes indistinguishable from the real world device.

I suggest that the axeII operates at this level. First consider that norm is that not even two "identical" guitar amps sound and feel exactly the same. Perhaps the models in the axe don't sound exactly like your amp but it does sound like an amp; it will have the general essence of the modeled amp. It is as organic as as the real amps I am accustomed to and in many cases sounds better.

As they say, your mileage may vary.

This may be getting a little off track I was speaking strictly about the cabs & hoping Ultra rez is the thing to get over the hump of them just not sounding right to me, especially in the low end. (I'm mainly a bass player so I have spent a lot of years focussed on getting a great bass sound) The Amps sound great but are actual digital recreations of the amps, the cabs are a recorded impulse. 2 totally different approaches of which the latter seems to really lag IMHO YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom