Firmware 13.07 really really low end heavy

How can you disagree with something you haven't even heard? And why would I look for something wrong when I am happy with how things sound?
I was sharing my experience that I agree with the OP.

I disagree because comments such as yours are usually in the minority and the other 1000's of users have no such issues. Do you really think that a fundamental aspect such a bass is overlooked by the whole beta team and Fractal community? I wasn't trying to aggregate you. If you're happy with how you sound, that's great. I was merely stating that if you need bass set to almost zero, it's certainly not the axe itself and more like the wrong IR or another factor, such as your guitar.

Peace

How can you disagree with something you haven't even heard? And why would I look for something wrong when I am happy with how things sound?
I was sharing my experience that I agree with the OP.

I disagree because comments such as yours are usually in the minority and the other 1000's of users have no such issues. Do you really think that a fundamental aspect such a bass is overlooked by the whole beta team and Fractal community? I wasn't trying to aggregate you. If you're happy with how you sound, that's great. I was merely stating that if you need bass set to almost zero, it's certainly not the axe itself and more like the wrong IR or another factor, such as your guitar.

Peace

I will respectfully bow out.

I was just trying to be helping mate, not antagonise you or profess to know more than you. We're all here to help and i was just throwing some objective ideas at you. All the best.

Believe me, I have wondered why this is the case. I'm not a pro - we play out about every 4-6 weeks. I don't have near the experience of most seasoned players on this forum.
I use what works for me.

Thanks for your input.

I just upgraded to 13.07 ( from 13.03) and I think it sounds dark! I lost all the nice brightness I had which I really loved! Thank God I saved the last FW so I can A/B it!

I'm still on 12.04b. I've been largely disappointed since updating from 10.xx. It's become much harder to dial in. I think the newer firmware is a case of too much of a good thing. I have three AFII and an Ultra. I may go back to v. 10. I'm also occasionally running Matrix GT1000 and NL 12's. My FOH presets are unusable with the Matrix stuff since going to 12.04 because of the low end even when I turn off cab emulation.

I would politely disagree with you. FRFR is nothing more than "what you put in is what you get out". Sure some FR cabinets have a more pronounced bass, and when you crank them or any FR installation, you're subject to Fletcher-Munson. I would be looking at something else in your signal chain. I use PRS guitars exclusively, they are mahogany bodied guitars and have a fat, sweet tone to them. I never have my bass below 9 o' clock. Perhaps you need to look at the IR that you're using or try a different guitar. There is also the possibility that you're compensating for a poorly EQ'd bass or second guitar etc.

Using your logic, that fundamental bass tone must have been "overlooked" in firmware versions 1-12 since it took v. 13 to finally get it right...

Using your logic, that fundamental bass tone must have been "overlooked" in firmware versions 1-12 since it took v. 13 to finally get it right...

that very well could be the case.

remember, this level and accuracy in modeling is new and constantly being developed, hence all the new firmware. cliff figures out new things all the time and GIVES it to us.

if you want to have the end product only, don't use the axe right now, or just choose to stay at some firmware version and not upgrade.

but if you want to come along for the most exciting ride in guitar tone around right now, test out the new firmware as it comes and contribute to the discussions held here to continually improve the product! (which is exactly what many in this thread are doing, btw.)

I have it sounding good at FOH but I'm not using my Matrix for stage volume like I once did. When I was on v10, the matrix was much closer to the FOH tones. Now, the matrix requires a different preset altogether.

i never understood how a single preset could sound good in a real guitar cab and FOH at the same time. so i just went with FRFR speakers only.

There's an old story about Leo Fender and his continual quest for better tone as he developed pickups for each of his brands. Eventually Leo's ears got older and, like all of us, his ability to hear high end diminished. Unfortunately, that didn't stop Leo from making pickups. If it can happen to Leo....

Agreed. I used Atomic stuff for a while with AF a Ultra, then just IEM's with AFII, but given the limitations of so many venues to work with IEM or even give a snake split, I went back to needing my own stage volume. The Matrix was sufficient for a while but not with the newer firmware. What FRFR are you using?

I've used almost everything available around $500-$1000, worked at a music store so I got to try a bunch. Currently using an RCF nx12.

In my case I love this low end !
It is now, what was missing all the time before this update..
Thanks Cliff :)
I was messing around plugged in my matrix power amp and a cab, also an eminence frfr and a behringer powered monitor and holly low end
Is it something with new firmware i am missing or is it something i missed. I have not really changed anything.
Any help would be great!!!!

Guitar is a midrange instrument.

yessmiley.gif

Can't have every individual instrument filling the whole spectrum! Space for everything is essential... unless you alway play alone of course

I've been using the new firmware since its release. I really like it. For some reason, I plugged in yesterday and did not like my tone. I have about 9 custom presets. All my high gain presets sounded very boomy. My main preset has been a freman with very little bass. It was actually overwhelming to my ears. On the other hand all my clean presets sounded fine.

Anyone have any ideas or feedback?
Could it be exhausted ears, placebo effect,...?

TIA

I use K12s and have the low end switched to external sub since v9. Guitar is a midrange instrument.

I've tried the K12's several times but always put the switch to FLAT and got meh results. I like your approach. I'm going to try it today. Thanks.

i never understood how a single preset could sound good in a real guitar cab and FOH at the same time. so i just went with FRFR speakers only.

It's easy in principle but requires significant effort: Basically you split the signal prior to the CAB and on the raw one put a chain of peq/geq/filters/etc (as needed) for tone shaping, and sometime replicate an FX block or two with slightly different settings from that running along the cab line. As long as you like the base character/feel of the amp settings, it is not bad at all. You are compensating for the differences between the cabs with the EQ/Filters on the raw line. It just takes a good ear, time, and knowledge of the unit. Totally worth it though. IMHO.

I have one IR that someone else shot but it is basically the same cab I have, so sometimes I will use that to start from a normalized point, too.

Back
Top Bottom