Firmware 10 shat on my patches in spectacular fashion

jonnyguitarman

Inspired
Title says it all really.

Every patch is muffled and lost all bottom end detail and punch. Almost every patch is clipping the output stage like a mo fo, crashing at every back up attempt too. I'm really struggling to see any improvement at all over 9 apart from a more stable Axe edit. This is after hours of tweaking too. The "in the room" amp feel has completely disappeared all together, not a happy man.

I'll be tweaking to try to get back near where I was before but Im sick of having to invest significant time in rebuilding all my patches at every upgrade. If it wasn't for the fact that axe edit wasn't stable i'd be rolling straight back to 9. I wont be upgrading again unless the next one is just an addition of amps/speakers/fx. Changing the whole feel of the thing and the way it responds every time is really buggin me. I cant hear or feel any improvements at all.

Just me? probably...... :/

my presets are the same...
found it quite easy to get them back though
I think the clipping is because the low band in the amp: EQ and PEQ is now a shelf
back it off a little
also, adjusting the amp's MV will change the tone some..
the gain in the higher gain amps is a little different, so playing with the drive / MV settings is a good place to start..

another lil' note: have a play with the new cab IR's because they are superb....

10 is a big change for some folk...
made a huge difference to me..
so it makes sense that some things can initially go a little squiffy
but have a good play with it, then I reckon you'll come to realise that 10 is actually the mutt's nuts

experiment and keep the faith...
cos I'll bet your tone is in there..
better than before too

I'm going to go back through the many cab IR's [especially the new studio ones]
because I believe that the subtle tonal shift is 10 could well render some of my current choices as being less optimal

I have a preset called "amp lab"
it's just one amp and one cab
I know the amps I want to use...
so this is the place to 'surf the cabs' and find what is to my ear the best match...

although tone wise my presets have taken a little step backwards, I was expecting this..
feel wise there's a leap forwards that hits me in the face...
so... I'm going to goof around for a week or two with my amps and various cab options with flat EQ settings...
make some choices and then dial the rest of the tone in from there...
a little experimentation that's unclouded with EQ and FX will go a long way..
and put you in a better place to complete the details...

so yes.. my tone has taken a backwards step...
but I have a strong feeling that when I've got it back it's going to be better than before..
and as such.. I'm not worried about this at all..
in fact.. I'm pretty excited about finding my new tone

Yep, I had to redo most of mine.

That is why there is the warning about it in the release notes. this is a major changes. The master volume change in and of itself can radically change things. Add to this the MIMIC stuff and tweaking will be required. I have found besides basic parameter adjustments, just choosing a new cab gets me to where I want to be.

If you go into global you can set the modeling back to version 9.

This might make your original presets usable for the time being.

Then I would suggest building your presets over from scratch, but keeping you originals with version 9 so you can always revert.

Honestly, I didn't have more then 10 presets I used, I just said the hell with it, dumped the whole thing and loaded the V10 presets posted on the website.

Using them as my starting point I think they sound fantanstic

Then I would suggest building your presets over from scratch, but keeping you originals with version 9 so you can always revert.

Honestly, I didn't have more then 10 presets I used, I just said the hell with it, dumped the whole thing and loaded the V10 presets posted on the website.

This seems like a very good plan as I backed up all my stuff both pre and post upgrade and post tweaks I experienced everything the OP commented on

Thank f@@k there's an easy solution to this :D

Excuse me, if I suggest anything you already tried:

- system reset?
- reset the amp to its defaults (by changing the type back and forth)?
- recreating one of your patches from scratch (blank patch and then step-by-step adding amp, cab, dialing in your settings)?

I am planning on starting from scratch. I plan to investigate the banks and then recreate new ones. It should be fun.

I kept only one preset out of all the presets that I had used before. But that one preset I had to reset the amp so it would take the new parameters. I had to do this before, don't remember what firmware it was, but I just loaded all new banks and went for it. I haven't even gotten through them all yet. I keep getting stuck on that Dumble lead with the overdrive on. I guess the moral of the story is that you have an uphill climb for awhile I know I do, ugghhh, but that's alright, because what Im hearing in the new presets sound fantastic. I play next weekend so besides learning new tunes, I will creating new patches from scratch, a lot of work yes, but enjoyable work.

that will not help a whole lot. the reversion to 9 modeling does change somethings; however, your patches will still be majorly altered.

Does anyone have the issue where the factory "clean" presets all sound crunchy? Like early AC/DC crunchy? The crunch patches like the Euro Blue are really distorted.

I'm using Seth Lover pickups, the input gain on the Axe doesn't hit the red unless I really strum hard, and my amplification system consists of both an Atomic CLR, and a Matrix GT800FX into an EVM12L (I modify a patch to use FXL to route 1 signal with cab and 1 without). I updated the firmware on the Axe, did a factory reset, and when checking my old patches I double-click bypass when in Amp Edit mode and then save.

For reference, on the factory Double Verb, I dialed the drive down from factory 4.99 to 1.25 to get a clean-on-edge-of-breakup sound. (also needed to take amp level up from -10.6 to 2.7 to make it loud enough).

I'm wondering if something is wrong with my Axe. I didn't have this problem until I went to Firmware 9 last year. I dialed down the drive in the patches I use since 9, so I was fine, but hearing everyone say the presets all sound wonderful right out the box makes me wonder if something is corrupt.

On the 1987X Treble preset, after upgrading, the ice-pick highs are painful. Again, I know I need to dial everything in again after updating the firmware, but when everyone says things sound great right out the box, I feel like I'm missing something.

If anyone using the same amplification system as I do doesn't need to dial down the drive to almost 1 in Double Verb, please let me know, I may need to contact support.

I don't have a long list of presets that I've worked extensively upon, so I just started from scratch. I don't get very far, because I almost immediately find a tone that makes me want to play. I think it's mainly amp/cab that changes the most, at least for what I do.

Dont you all get fed up of going through the same rigmarole every time theres a new firmware? In my mind, a new firmware should take the unit and all its patches and make them better...... All that happens is that you have to go back to the drawing board every time a firmware is released. I'm definitely not 100% that its making the Axe any better once you get back to somewhere near where you were.

All of my amp models sound better. WAY better.
I don't mind going back and touching up my patches.
I'm about 1/2 way done and I've never been happier.
Yes, it does take a little bit of time, but it's time well spent and extremely inspiring.

Dont you all get fed up of going through the same rigmarole every time theres a new firmware?

No.

I'm definitely not 100% that its making the Axe any better once you get back to somewhere near where you were.

The last two firmwares have been revolutionary. 9 with scenes and 10 with near perfect amp reproduction. If it's not worth it to you, there's nothing preventing you from staying on the firmware you're satisfied with.

Does anyone have the issue where the factory "clean" presets all sound crunchy? Like early AC/DC crunchy? The crunch patches like the Euro Blue are really distorted.

I'm using Seth Lover pickups, the input gain on the Axe doesn't hit the red unless I really strum hard, and my amplification system consists of both an Atomic CLR, and a Matrix GT800FX into an EVM12L (I modify a patch to use FXL to route 1 signal with cab and 1 without). I updated the firmware on the Axe, did a factory reset, and when checking my old patches I double-click bypass when in Amp Edit mode and then save.

For reference, on the factory Double Verb, I dialed the drive down from factory 4.99 to 1.25 to get a clean-on-edge-of-breakup sound. (also needed to take amp level up from -10.6 to 2.7 to make it loud enough).

I'm wondering if something is wrong with my Axe. I didn't have this problem until I went to Firmware 9 last year. I dialed down the drive in the patches I use since 9, so I was fine, but hearing everyone say the presets all sound wonderful right out the box makes me wonder if something is corrupt.

On the 1987X Treble preset, after upgrading, the ice-pick highs are painful. Again, I know I need to dial everything in again after updating the firmware, but when everyone says things sound great right out the box, I feel like I'm missing something.

If anyone using the same amplification system as I do doesn't need to dial down the drive to almost 1 in Double Verb, please let me know, I may need to contact support.

This sounds to be firmware/settings related somehow. The hardware is pretty bulletproof. Other than the PSU they use, nothing really breaks.

Start it all from scratch with a reset/fw install/reset/ and then reload the new preset banks.

I think a few of the Fender cleans are a touch hairy on a bridge pickup - but that is with humbucker pickups in the higher wound territory (9+ ohm).

I would agree that a few previous FW revisions seemed to add too much juice.
I actually really like the Euro presets now. They were lifeless before.

The firmware is the foundation all your presets are built on. Improving the firmware improves the capabilities and quality of every sound it creates. The patches you have created will not sound the same because the foundation they were built on has changed. The simplest thing to do is not to update the firmware. For most folks, there is no need to upgrade, other than the desire to have the latest firmware and the greatest sound the Axe can provide. If you're happy with what you have, I'd stay put. I can understand how someone who gigs could have many specific patches for songs and it would be a pain to update them all again. On the other hand, I have no custom presets that are mandatory and am quite happy with what's there, so it's zero problem for me to update.

Considering the amount of folks waiting for v10 to drop and the mad dash as soon as it hit, I'd say that no, a lot of folks do not care about any work required when a new firmware drops. The firmware improves the quality of the Axe every time as well as adding new amps, cabs or IRs. With this update it's almost like getting a an Axe FX III for the price of downloading and updating the firmware. Fractal could very easily charge for these firmwares or just release 1 or 2, then a new Axe FX and ask you to pay another $2k for the latest firmware.

All in all - it sounds like you're a bit freaked out so I'd suggest stepping off the ledge, step back and think about what you want from the axe right now. If it's the new capabilities, then move forward with v10. If it's what you had, go back to 9 until you have the time or inclination to move up to v10. Don't mean to preach, just putting myself in the shoes of Fractal and reading your post.

Dont you all get fed up of going through the same rigmarole every time theres a new firmware? In my mind, a new firmware should take the unit and all its patches and make them better...... All that happens is that you have to go back to the drawing board every time a firmware is released. I'm definitely not 100% that its making the Axe any better once you get back to somewhere near where you were.

My Typical Firmware Amp Reset Process.
Go to Amp and Note Master Volume.
Page over to Amp Type and Select Different Amp and Switch Back to Desired Amp.
Set Master Volume back if Necessary. If it was a Non-Master Volume Amp like an old Fender then I leave the New Setting.
Adjust Level to get Volume Level back to where it should be.
Find a Suitable Backing Track for my Presets of that type on YouTube and Jam along with all my Patches and Set Volumes similar (It's important to set Levels "In the Mix")
Make Final Adjustments at Next Band Practice.

You should always backup before putting the new Firmware in, just incase you want to roll back either temporarily or permanently.

I do empathize. And furthermore, there are several among us who are a bit teed off who are simply refraining from collectively peeing into the FAS bowl of happy cereal by posting their positions. That said, here's my spin on it:

- the whole Axe-II realm is an experience, and groundbreaking
- groundbreaking means things will always be a bit experimental in design, never 100% perfect for the masses
- there's no real parallel development or platform that offers what it does, so we're all here because we like/love it for what it is
- firmware, in my past, was perfect - solid - and a no brainer, but this was coming from an IT understanding
- firmware, in the sense of Fractal, is new and pushing the product into new regions
- this is a very small niche market comparatively
- I can only imagine the development/beta team, even a much smaller populous
- this is "new tech", we're along for the ride
- just because FW is released, it doesn't mean we all must DL it and go apeshit on it immediately
- the wise among us are probably still using 9, and waiting for 10.1 or the like

I am fortunate enough to have the luxury of just starting from scratch - and the time it takes to hone my patches, minimal. But I can totally get where this "process" can indeed cause consternation to those whose "time" is precious. Furthermore, this is a geek-time-suck, and those of us who are actual "musicians" probably don't gel as well with the time spent "tweaking". I get it. But this is new ground, and the price of new ground is a collective drive to experiment, try, tweak-along-the-way, improve. I know if any of this gets too much for me, I have an arsenal of heads/amps in my sesh space that just need the POWER toggle flicked to "ON" to get me where I wanna go "now".

Peace,
Mo

Back
Top Bottom