Firmware 10 issues

I don't get it. I had 40+ 9.02 presets, each dedicated to a certain amp type.
Migrated to 10, did a system reset, reset the Amp blocks, adjusted preset levels (sometimes drastically), did some finetuning and it was all good.

is it necessary this time to do a system reset? I hate losing all my midi control and global eq settings?

Yek, you say you did a system reset, is that a requirement? I wasn't aware of that.
After the update I reset all the amp blocks in my presets, adjusted a few parameters, amp levels, MV, etc. and all seems well. Do you think I need to do anything more?

Not a requirement. Just something I do out of habit.
Takes just 10 secs to adjust I/O and Global (for me).

After the 5th post on this:

Firmware release notes:
NOTE: THIS IS A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE, PARTICULARLY IN REGARDS TO AMPLIFIER MODELING. THIS FIRMWARE MAY, AND LIKELY WILL, CHANGE THE SOUND OF EXISTING PRESETS. YOU SHOULD AUDITION ALL YOUR PRESETS AFTER INSTALLATION AND CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION AND TONE. AN AMP MODEL CAN BE RESET BY TEMPORARILY CHANGING THE AMP TYPE AND THEN CHANGING BACK TO THE DESIRED TYPE. THIS WILL LOAD THE MODEL WITH DEFAULT PARAMETERS.

I don't know how it can be more clear.

I'm not knocking on you, but you HAVE TO expect this every time there's a FW release. Sure, it's a pain to redo your presets, but this is the price of upgrading. You do have the option to go back to 9.02 until (or if) you have the inclination to do that much retweak.

R

Huge fractal fan (own a II and 2 Ultras) but given that MIMIC is supposed to be a very accurate representation of the amps cloned it would be really nice if in the future it was new models & features being added and not huge changes to existing amps
Plenty of users were able to get near dead accurate copies to the real life counterpart as far back as the early ultra or standard FW!

I've struggled bigtime since 5 upwards (kept downgrading) because my main go to amps weren't sounding great at all at least to my ears to the point where I got another ultra as my other is across the globe

If mimic is as accurate as it sounds I'm hoping this is the last of the major tweaking to already existing amps 10 onwards......

I, too, found my presets to be overly low-end heavy with the upgrade. Unlike William, though, I didn't feel my presets were ruined, and the world was coming to an end. I simply dove in and made some simple tweaks.

Having been a player for over 45 years with much experience playing in bands and owning mucho $$$$ dollars worth of gear over the years, I don't comprehend how someone spends hours upon hours tweaking presets.

Now, I will be honest, in that I have no idea what kind of music you play, William. In my current band, I play the hits from the '60's to the present. As such, I need a number of completely different tones at my disposal. I fail to comprehend how someone can spend so much time trying to get the penultimate tones. Do you really think your audience will notice the most minor and inconsequential subtleties?

I know I sound like a cantankerous soul, if not a troll, but the fact is, get a grip. The greatest musicians who have set the standard for all that we listen to today didn't dwell on such bullshit.

Dank,my world is not coming to an end hehe.I mean I own a great peace of gear and I'm really happy with what I have.

I respect your experience and years of playing.I'm not the type of guy enjoying tweaking his presets for hours and hours.I am usually happy with the presets I make at home even if I spend 10-15 minutes on it.

But we work in a very meticulous way with the band and sound engineer.There are two guitar players in it (including myself) and we want to have a different type of sound but yet coherent.And it's not an easy task when the two guys have different tastes regarding tones and amps.
Plus we're not really able to do it at home,we sometimes rent a gig room to work with the PA system in order to see what will be the result.
We play progressive metal and I think it's important in this kind of music to have something etablished if you want to hear every aspect of the music and every instrument in the band.

Let's hope I'll make a better preset out of this story !

Not a requirement. Just something I do out of habit.
Takes just 10 secs to adjust I/O and Global (for me).

Thanks Yek, Just making sure. Like I said, I haven't done a reset, and so far it's all behaving normally. The tones didn't need much adjustment at all. Thr big thing was all my patch levels which all went out of whack, no doubt due to the Master Volume change in each amp block. Still, on the whole, a fairly painless changeover for me.

I don't get it either with all these posts about "my presets sound horrible now" and "can't get rid of fizz with new V.10 models". My presets sound a helluvalot better with v.10. All I did was reset the amp model, adjust drive and MV a bit (rarely very much at all), and adjust depth/presence. I'm absolutely loving the additional presence and depth controls as well as "thunk". The new cabs are killer too. I'm actually using the new cabs much more than the old ones now.

With most of the latest updates I could tell subtle differences but I feel the differences were exaggerated by a lot of people. With v.10, there's just a huge improvement. It's hard to put into words. Everything just sounds more alive, more real...better! I think that anyone who doesn't feel v.10 isn't a big improvement must have things set up wrong. Either that or they just need to "reset" their ears!

If you liked where you were at why upgrade? I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, the release notes made me aware I may have to rework some things... After resetting amp/cab blocks I was pleasantly surprised at how little that was needed.

I don't get it. I had 40+ 9.02 presets, each dedicated to a certain amp type.
Migrated to 10, did a system reset, reset the Amp blocks, adjusted preset levels (sometimes drastically), did some finetuning and it was all good.

I've got a quick question about resetting: I upgraded from 6.02 to 10. All fine except ae not responding when I try to send banks to the axe. I did parameters reset and tried again but when I hit reset it was like nothing happened, like say an indication "resetting". Nothing. My question is when you hit reset how much time does it take to complete it? Haven't done this before that's why I'm asking. Thanks.

I don't get it. You did a firmware upgrade, that has taken MONTHS of re-doing all the amps and you are mad that your tones changed?

I have a tip that should be stickied. IF YOU LOVE YOUR CURRENT TONES, AND DON'T WANT TO RE-TWEAK DON'T UPGRADE FIRMWARES EVER

Just be happy with what you got. I might still be on 8, i can't remember what firmware i'm even on. I just know that I plug in and my tone is awesome, so i play. I'll probably upgrade to 10 since i don't have anything going on the next few weeks, and dial in some good tones.

I dial in every preset in new firmware from scratch (aside from my synth/organ/violin/cello/weird effects presets) I've found that i have to do less tweaking with each successive firmware to get the "same good sound". it gets easier and easier to get pleasing tones. It also helps me learn the new firmware and what parameters do to affect my tone. which helps in a pinch on stage/in studio.

This is general comment and not aimed at anybody in particular.

Weve been through this enough times now and its very simple.
Take responsibilty for your shit, back it up and if you dont like the updated firmware go back to your last version and re-add your presets. would you update your computer operating system without backing up?if you dont like windows 8 do you keep using it or go back to xp or 7 its your choice, Stop blaming evryone and take responsibilty for your shit!

Weve been through this enough times now and its very simple.
Take responsibilty for your shit, back it up and if you dont like the updated firmware go back to your last version and re-add your presets. would you update your computer operating system without backing up?if you dont like windows 8 do you keep using it or go back to xp or 7 its your choice, Stop blaming evryone and take responsibilty for your shit!

I don't think this is very helpful.... These discussions are important for finding your way with new firmware - especially if you are in gigging band and need to get it right quickly.

It's the same as getting a new amp worked into a complex live rig - getting used to the new sounds etc. I've spent ages researching a new amp, then for a while thought I'd made the wrong decision... The Axe gives you the added problem of being able to own all of them... But it also gives you the chance to work through all the parameters to get it how you need it. Almost infinite choice brings almost infinite problems - or solutions. Depends how you look at it.

But a gigging musician needs to get it right quickly after a firmware upgrade. I hope the OP can get his patches as they were, but then apply FW10 to them as opposed to reverting to FW9. I found increasing the MV and knocking back some highs and lows on the global EQ very helpful. But the new amps are indeed very ballsy.... however they do respond very well to good old-fashioned guitar volume control clean-up.

I don't think this is very helpful.... These discussions are important for finding your way with new firmware - especially if you are in gigging band and need to get it right quickly.

It's the same as getting a new amp worked into a complex live rig - getting used to the new sounds etc. I've spent ages researching a new amp, then for a while thought I'd made the wrong decision... The Axe gives you the added problem of being able to own all of them... But it also gives you the chance to work through all the parameters to get it how you need it. Almost infinite choice brings almost infinite problems - or solutions. Depends how you look at it.

But a gigging musician needs to get it right quickly after a firmware upgrade. I hope the OP can get his patches as they were, but then apply FW10 to them as opposed to reverting to FW9. I found increasing the MV and knocking back some highs and lows on the global EQ very helpful. But the new amps are indeed very ballsy.... however they do respond very well to good old-fashioned guitar volume control clean-up.

I was just trying to make a point that firmware updates are always going to do this and if someone is frustrated or does not have the time to tweek and redo their presets then there is a way to avoid the frustration and down time by reverting back until the have the down time to deal with it. But we cant keep complaining that all our presets have changed,its always going to be that way its not logical to think it wont,otherwise what would be the point.

Moral of the story: Version 10 is a HUGE change to the amp block. I would say that every user should expect to have to adjust the amp block on every preset. Thankfully with mine, adjusting amp master volumes and gain (along with minor amp EQ) was enough to get me back in line and hopefully that will get most others with problems there as well.

I spent some time yesterday starting from scratch for my main gigging presets-- this time taking a fresh start, trying different amp models and cabs, etc.. and I am glad i did. I think my main patches are better than ever now.

Probably took an hour to create and tune ~7 presets to total awesomeness!

I don't think you've read my posts.I backup ALL MY PRESETS and Axe Edit won't load it.I tried to get back to V9 and my presets are gone !I'm not blaming anyone here,so calm down !

I was just trying to make a point that firmware updates are always going to do this and if someone is frustrated or does not have the time to tweek and redo their presets then there is a way to avoid the frustration and down time by reverting back until the have the down time to deal with it. But we cant keep complaining that all our presets have changed,its always going to be that way its not logical to think it wont,otherwise what would be the point.

I think WillPeirs has clarified in subsequent posts that he doesn't blame fractal, but I also felt that the OP seemed to be projecting blame where it didn't belong, not to mention the response to Electronpirate comparing the firmware update to someone ruining his guitar. WillPeirs, I think the forum is taking it pretty easy on you for a number of reasons.

1) Read AND BELIEVE the release notes. When they say it's a major update, expect to be retweaking. If you want the exact tone you've got, leave it alone.
2) The analogy rubbed me the wrong way because: you did not pay for any work to be done. Nothing was wrong with what you had. If you lost all your old presets, you are at least complicit. *shitty* is pretty subjective. What you actually received is of greater value - you just have to take a little time to where you can enjoy the added benefits (and a fraction of the time that was put into preparing this FREE upgrade for you, I might add.)

I'll stop the tirade. I legitimately feel bad for you, I know how frustrating situations like this can be. Just be careful with the attitude you project because it may have come off quite wrong.

It's ALWAYS a good idea to use a good flat pair of Studio Monitors to create your sounds, if possible....THIS way, you KNOW that your tones are correct, you are not creating presets that make up for deficient or hyped frequencies from less than flat speakers, and you will know that the sounds you create will translate to other speakers better and will work on recordings as well in the future... If you create your presets on speaker that are NOT flat, then your presets will not sound good on any other speaker that does not have a similar frequency response...

If your main rig consists of power amp and cab, then use global EQ to shape the output...

just my .02¢

I don't think you've read my posts.I backup ALL MY PRESETS and Axe Edit won't load it.I tried to get back to V9 and my presets are gone !I'm not blaming anyone here,so calm down !

I dont think youve read my post either.

I made it a point of saying it was a general comment specifically so you would know I wasnt speaking about you.
there are other comments on here other than yours.
So im not going to calm down because im not angry or upset or even talking about you.

Back
Top Bottom