Firing a CC# from Logic to inc/dec Volume

mwd

Power User
Wanting to experiment with something mentioned in another thread and didn't want to hijack it any further than I already had.

I understand you can hook a footswitch up to the back panel jacks and increase or decrease the volume 1db at a time using CC#35 or CC#36 and that it will auto-save in the preset.

Ultimately I want to use this for my Ultra in rehearsal, if possible, but I was trying to test it out on my XL at home using Logic for fire the MIDI messages.

I created an external instrument for Fractal, inserted it, created a MIDI track and a Program Change message to change presets so I could visually see the MIDI work. It did.

I then created a Control Change message 35 and it didn't do anything. I created a 36. Same thing. No results.

Is there any further actions within the Axe that must be taken to make the CC# start working?

You mentioned the CC#s but no value. Make sure value is in the 64-127 range. Anything lower won't trigger the functions. Also verify inc/dec are set to 35/36 at I/O: CTRL page.

From my experience, it should be more on the logic side.

Is the second CC data byte = 127? I assume you ensured in the Axe that midi message for 1db increments were CC# 35 / 36 :)

each time you send 35 or 36, the preset is adjusted by 1db and then saved. is this really want you want to do? if you actually just want to adjust volume in a continuous manner, then you'd be better off sending cc11, which will give you continuous control over output 1 volume and won't change any of your presets. (i think it's cc11, have look at the I/O>Ctrl page)

Thanks guys. Yes Bakerman hit it. I didn't have the range in 64-127. Works like a charm.

Simeon this was actually just a test for me. Yes I read the article on leveling presets. My Ultra, in my studio is mounted low and as well my Ax Editor stopped working when I upgraded to Yosemite so it's actually a PITA to level the presets. Much less while I'm playing. I intend on ordering a 2 button pedal.

In the meantime I thought I would set a real long loop on a logic track with a CC at first measure.

A quick double tap on the spacebar would ensure it only increases 1 db, yet not reach the end of the loop and repeat. But if I tap/tap again it would loop to the front and increase again. Have an increase project and decrease project fired up while we play.

Thought I would try it, in lieu of currently having a dual pedal and prior to ordering one. Not ideal but a heck of a lot better than crawling around on the studio floor while I'm playing.

My question now is at what quadrant is the volume being adjusted. Amp, end of mix, somewhere in between?

Last edited:
35 and 36 adjust the preset level. Go into layout and hit edit on the output strip and you'll see the preset mixer with pans and levels for each row and also a big master level fader. It's that fader that's adjusted. Post layout, but pre master out.

Reactions: mwd
Back
Top Bottom