firepod/spdif help

gdgross

Experienced
Trying to use the spdif out on the axe to free up an analog channel on my firepod.

Running axe spdif out into firepod spdif in using an RCA cable. Using Logic 7 on my macbook pro. All the analog channels record fine. I have input 9 (mono) or input 9/10 (stereo) selected for the track I want to record spdif. Sample rate is set to 48000Hz in Logic.

I get no sound at all though logic or in the headphone monitoring out of the firepod.

Any ideas?

Forgive me if this is simple, I'm a recording and a digital newbie.

Thanks.

Not sure if this would cause the issue but you should use SPDIF cables that are 75 ohm impedance, coaxial construction (same as video). Regular RCA Audio cables would be 50 something I think. Cannot remember off the top of my head. I would recommend you at least think about getting some www.bluejeanscable.com digital audio cables. Not too expensive.

I still would be shocked to find out that this is your problem though. Have you tried the changing the driver settings? I know for my firewire interface I need to select if I want to use SPDIF on the driver setup first.

gdgross said:
Trying to use the spdif out on the axe to free up an analog channel on my firepod.

Running axe spdif out into firepod spdif in using an RCA cable. Using Logic 7 on my macbook pro. All the analog channels record fine. I have input 9 (mono) or input 9/10 (stereo) selected for the track I want to record spdif. Sample rate is set to 48000Hz in Logic.

I get no sound at all though logic or in the headphone monitoring out of the firepod.

Any ideas?

Forgive me if this is simple, I'm a recording and a digital newbie.

Thanks.

Make sure to call up the configuration icon for the firepod (the same one you use to change latency and clock rate) and set your clock source to S/PDIF,

Mik.

mik said:
Make sure to call up the configuration icon for the firepod (the same one you use to change latency and clock rate) and set your clock source to S/PDIF,

Thanks!

How/where do I do this? (I'm new to macs, too... :oops: )

not too sure about macs I am on Win XP, check your driver settings should be smth about a clock source,

Mik.

Okay, in the audio devices utility, which is the only place I know to look, there's a place where I can select the clock source as "device" (firepod) or "mac". I have "device" selected.

Other than that, all I can select is the sample rate, which is 48k.

From the Firepod manual, S/PDIF IN and OUT. The S/PDIF I/O allows the FIREPOD to receive and transmit audio from other digital audio devices. The S/PDIF standard allows for two channels of audio to be transmitted at up to rates of 24bit/96Khz. The S/PDIF input also allows the FIREPOD to receive and transmit word clock. Word clock is the synchronizing signal that indicates the sampling frequency or rate of sample words over a digital audio interface. Note: When using SPDIF In, you must select SPDIF in your FIREPOD Hardware Control Panel (located in your system tray – Windows XP only).

Any other ideas? Or am I looking in the completely wrong place?

I think i found the answer to this. I wanted to use mine also for my ultra. I get sync but no audio is passed.
Apparently the newest and latest drivers broke spd/if functionality for regular spd/if use, bbut it allows for daisy chaining of 2 firepods/ FP10's.
I took me forever to find this searching forums. And I have emailed tech support for a fix since there are no older drivers or firmware listed on the site.
This pisses me off that they are so secretive about this. But wanted to post this incase anyone else runs into it.

Back
Top Bottom