Fire Red Fuzz II

DonPetersen

Fractal Fanatic
when I first cloned my Fire Red Fuzz DIY, I made a little mistake. The Q1 (the first germanium transistor) was way too hot (very high hFE value).

I exchanged the transistor with a AC128 and it sounds much better now.
so I cloned it again.

p.s.

when A/B-ing the pedal against the drive/PEQ-block clone I had made, I kept switching between the two A LOT. At first I was really trying to listen to little things, like the way a note decays or how certain intervals add a certain roughness to the notes, but pretty quickly I was playing and enjoying myself instead of 'working'. After a jam session of about 5mins (I thought - more like 30) I had myself convinced that there WAS something special going on in analog circuits. Something very satisfying and rewarding, a very natural sounding compression and just the right balance between smoothness and an edge, bass, body and clarity.

I was convinced.

Then I realized had been playing the Axe version instead of the pedal...

Attachments

• FRF Q1 correct 5 - 5.syx
    2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I had myself convinced that there WAS something special going on in analog circuits. Something very satisfying and rewarding, a very natural sounding compression and just the right balance between smoothness and an edge, bass, body and clarity.

I was convinced.

Then I realized had been playing the Axe version instead of the pedal...

If your ears made that mistake, then that is good news for most of us!! :D

Any clips?

Can I call you sir fuzz a lot or fuzzmaster don or don fuzz or some other name? I don't know anyone who loves fuzz as much as you and your bank of fuzz should deem you of a worthy title :D

Back
Top Bottom