Finished Rack - almost, including patch panel.

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
So - Pretty Much finished my Rack and board. the exception is it still has an AFX Standard in it :( my AFX2 will be here Monday :)

So - From the Front:

rackfront.jpg

From the Rear:

rackrear.jpg

The Power Strip is a UK Surge protected 4 way screwed into the roof of the rack. Lead is secured and comes out of a gap which is possible as my rack has propper rails, not just holes. the 1U Rack blank at the top has 3 strips of Velcro secured round it for securing the power cable in transit:

rackrearpower.jpg

The Patch panel close ups:

rackrearcloseleft.jpg

rackrearcloseright.jpg

and just in case I forget which OP is for what:

rackrearoutputclose.jpg

The MFC connection is Ethercon to prevent wear on the J45 connector. Currently its still via 7 Pin MIDI until the 2 gets here - however the board end:

board.jpg

and the adaptor is secured tightly as well:

etherconclose.jpg

Super clean. Love it. Want a patch panel like that for my rack and would like to know more.

One thing to note. A few guys on the forum have reported that they unwittingly, accidentally managed to put there USB into the MFC, (or vice versa, can't remember).
I see you have them side by side. It might be prudent to put one far right and the other far left to "idiot proof" this from ever happening by accident when setting up in a hurry.

i did read that - i have no idea how they managed it though. Whether it makes a difference that mine is Ethercon not J45 I dont know. I guess if the USB end is upside down it might squeeze in.

Id tried to keep it logical - that is Left to Right, Inputs, control, outputs. i could put the Ethercon and USB either side of the Midi pair I guess. it wont be difficult and Ill do it next week when I put the AFX2 in its home.

I "MAY" add a Powercon connection as well - which would eliminate the "trapped wire" I have currently - while the Powercon cable itself would still store in the back secured by the velcro.

Last edited:
forgot these bits - small but important. The Rack Lids. Each lid has 2 pairs of velcro loops in. these house my speaker cable, my Ethercon cable, and two guitar leads (one as a spare) during transit. I really dont have to carry much :)

RackLids.jpg

Love those little 1/2 rack space vent panels...did you chop a 1 space in half or did you buy those like that?...never seen a 1/2 space panel before?

Love those little 1/2 rack space vent panels...did you chop a 1 space in half or did you buy those like that?...never seen a 1/2 space panel before?

They were bought. I found a UK supplier that does them. ive actually got a spare one - but only one.

Good work - very tidy!
thumbsup.gif

Are you keeping your Ultra too once the II arrives..?

Undecided. i dont need the money, BUT selling it would almost pay for one of the RCF monitors Scotts using - or a KPA to trial. it would fund another guitar - or even a real amp (Ive considered a little Tweeker Combo as a valve reference and for when I just want to pick up an amp and guitar to take to a friends).

I see you are using the Red Neutrik "Silent" 1/4 end on your speaker cable seen attached inside the rack cover. I have one on my Mogami Platinum Guitar cable and love it on my guitars. Nice attention to the little details here.

18". Its deeper than I need now, but I needed that deep when I was running a VHT 2:50:2 Power amp.

The rig is deep enough that I can load something like a wireless receiver, or a power conditioner in the back of the rack should I need.

yeah, i wonder if i have enough room for a patch bay on the back of my rack....

mine is 14" depth

Back
Top Bottom