Finally took the plunge!

Exeter

Hey all. So I've been following Fractal since pretty much the beginning, but never really had the resources the purchase one. I can remember seeing some of my favorite bands back in the day with Ultra's in their racks and being so envious of the tone they were pumping out.

I've owned a handful of tube amps in the past and played in a few bands but these days I just jam at home through an interface using amp sims. That perfect high gain tone I've been hearing in my head for years has always been an elusive creature but with everything I've heard from the III I decided to pull the trigger and if UPS's website isn't lying to me it'll be here tomorrow!

I've already got Axe Edit and Fractal Bot installed and ready to go. Tomorrow will probably be the longest work day in my life. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a cheap expression pedal in the next few weeks and my rig will be complete. Wish me luck and it's going to be so awesome joining this community!

Oh I've seen that for sure! I've already read the manual and watched a bunch of Leon Todd's videos on setup and what not. Absolutely cannot wait.

Congratulations, also yesterday I received my AXE FX3 I was waiting for FM3 but I could not wait any more;)

Thanks everyone! Any easy tricks out of the box for getting tight and chunky metal tones?

Check out the TonePack for Axe III from Austin Buddy. I use some of the blocks in those presets as starting points for a lot of my own tones.

Hopefully I'll be able to afford a cheap expression pedal in the next few weeks and my rig will be complete.

M-Audio Exp-1 is a cheap alternative. Very plastic, but mine have lasted several years. Not to bad a feel for wahwah etc. I got it as a temporary sollution before I could afford Ev-2s or Missions. But I’m still using it.

Hopefully I'll be able to afford a cheap expression pedal in the next few weeks and my rig will be complete.

The Nektar NX-P Expression Pedal is really inexpensive at $20 and actually works very well. You can’t go wrong with it for a pedal for home use. I don’t think it would last very long on the road but for the money they’re asking for it it doesn’t have to. I’ve got two that I’m using with my II XL+ and they work great.

Thanks everyone! Any easy tricks out of the box for getting tight and chunky metal tones?

Its so easy to get tight and chunky tones you definitely don't need to buy anything from anyone else. Leon Todd's tutorials teach you enough but with the III the modeling is so spot on if you know the amp, you know how to dial it.

There's no "mystery" unless you want post-processing recorded sounds that have been reworked... but that doesn't mean one thing of course. Queensryche is not Slayer is not In Flames etc...

Depending on what kind of tight and chunky you want I'd favor different amps and cabs, you have SO MANY TO TRY, but definitely don't overlook the FAS brand amps. The FAS Modern I/II/III is amazing for modern metal tones. Its on a few records you've heard if you like the acts of today.

The key win with the III is you have so many amps and cabs... Don't spend too long dialing any one in, try a different amp, and then cab, instead so you are closer to "there" from the start.

If you have a fav cab, starting with one of that kind will definitely save time. Its the single biggest tone shaper IME.

Have fun and don't make plans. : )

if there is a band you are chasing, let us know, that will narrow the field considerably.

All the metal staples are well represented on the amp and cab front. I mean you even have versions of those key amps from Mesa, Marshall, Peavey/EVH, etc. as well as the amps they inspired like Bogner, Friedman, Diezel, etc.

I've looked at the Nektar pedal, glad to know it works well so I'll probably pick one up.

I'm planning on hooking everything up, setting some levels and sampling all the presets just to get a feel of the capability of the unit.

As far as band tones I've always been a fan of God Forbid's "Constitution of Treason" album and "Riders of the Plague" by the Abscence. I think God Forbid used either 5150's or Krank Revolutions, not sure about the Abscence.

Find an IR and Amp you like. Boost it with a drive pedal (Drive all the way down, Level all the way up. Start with the T808 or use the built in Input Boost in the amp block under the Preamp tab ). Adjust the Amp's drive to taste.
With the right amp and IR this should be pretty easy and get you off to a good start.

Start with a very simple preset. Input, drive, amp, cab, and ouput block. Work with that for a little while until you get a sound you really like. Then start adding reverb, delay, modulation. etc. Dont try to do everything at once.

I feel almost guilty, the core amp sounds are so good, I don't need effects. Often practice with none at all.
In this was an FM3 would be enough for me live for sure.
A little delay, some warble option like phase, and a boost for flavor, I'm good.

Agree 100%. I use a tiny bit or reverb for rhythm. Delay and a tiny amount of chorus on my leads. Less is more and keeps you from getting lost in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom