Finally sold my last tube amp . . . sort of

Alabama man

Inspired
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help I've gotten through this forum over the past few months. It has allowed me to get inside the deeper features of the axe and get great results compared to my old tube rigs.

I still kept one amp though: My first tube amp - a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I came so close to selling it the other day, but when I tested it to make sure it was still fully operational, nostalgia got the best of me. And really, at the end of the day having one backup tube amp isn't such a bad thing.

The Axe still gets the most attention though.

Either way, thanks for all your assistance and thanks Cliff, for making an awesome piece of equipment. It has made my life infinitely easier.

I think a lot of us keep some glowing glass around. The Axe-FX gets all of my attention too. It offers nearly endless variety and one-the-fly tonal flexibility that my "real" amps can't deliver.

I still have a Triple Recto,JCM800 and a Splawn Quickrod I haven't powered on in probably 2 years.

Still can't sell them though - nostalgia more than anything as I can do all better with the Axe.

And the Recto and especially the Quickrod have become spectacular since Q1

I still have my Fender Champ and Fender Blues Jr. And a few other small tube amps just for the fun of having them - hey they're small and don't take up much room. :)

More to the point - I gig with my Axe Fx II - and that's what really matters. Thanks Cliff and company!

Pretty much the same… Still got a tube amp… Never had much at the same time but I had the chance to own roughly a dozen of the amps modelled in the Axe FX. But that's besides the point. I had about 45 stomp boxes before getting the Axe Fx. Mostly drive pedals but also a nice collection of modulations and time based pedals… I sold roughly half of them and I'm about to get rid of some more. I'd wish to see more drive pedals modelled by Fractal though. That'd justify selling most of the collection in favour of the FX-8

I still have a Dual recto, triple recto reborn, Mark V, Mark IV, Quad Preamp, and a TSL 2000. I haven't touched any of them in months. I didn't want to sell any of them because I was so proud of my collection but I guess I can part with some of them now.

I didn't want to sell any of them because I was so proud of my collection but I guess I can part with some of them now.

That's pretty much the conclusion I came to. It was hard selling my 1978 Hiwatt DR103 amongst other amps, but when comparing side by side, the choice was a little easier to make. I'm also somewhat of a minimalist (at least when it comes to physical possessions) and was tickled by the idea of having one crazy box replace the several amps I owned. Moving that crap around gets old . . .

I haven't fired up any of my tube amps in years, but I still have three of them. I've got a little Boogie .22 combo, a mid 70s Music Man 65 watt 210 combo, and the '67 Deluxe Reverb that was a only couple of years old when my parents bought it for me in 7th grade. Only the Boogie and Music Man are currently in working order...the Deluxe needs attention. I could get rid of the Boogie and the Music Man with no remorse, but I'll always keep the Deluxe for sentimental reasons. It was my first real amp. (I had a little Fender Bronco before the Deluxe, but I sold it when I was in high school. Wish I hadn't now.)

Last edited:
I currently have a collection of 12 working guitars I've gathered over the years....... do you think I might have more than one amp too? :D

Started with an ultra years ago (first batch in Germany) changed to FX II (first batch) - had only one major problem with an defect power supply. Free exchange within 1 day by G66 so I definitely need no backup. AXE is more reliable than my former 1960 AC30 or my SLO - no more problems with tubes.

Yeah...I have an AxeFx and I just decided to keep all of my tube amps. My collection is too big to sell. :D

Plus it's good to keep them around for reference or when friends come over to jam...but I'm loving the hell out of my AxeFx...especially since I put an Eminence Tonker next to each of my Celestion C-90's that came with my Mesa Lonestar cabs. I was already pretty happy with the sound but they just gave the setup so much more clarity and muscle across the broad range of tones that it produces that I just find it hard to put my guitar down.

I've got a pair of Eminence Legend EM12's coming. I plan to put them in the Lonestar cabs along with the Tonker so that the cabs will handle all of the wattage the Matrix puts out but if I end up not liking it as much I'll just take them back out, keep the Tonker/C-90 combo and just watch my output volume a little more carefully.

...GAS is gone for amps - but not for guitars

Yep...I've already got a pretty large collection of guitars...mostly the bread and butter models with a few oddballs but now I think I'm going to use my resources to focus on custom and unique guitars.

Just pre-ordered a pair of these NAMM releases...

yamaha-revstar-rs502t-bowden-green_1_GIT0037331-000.jpg 19088-yamaha-revstar-rs820cr-electric-guitar---rusty-rat.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom