Finally removed the screen protector

Why do people think the plastic which comes on the LCD during shipping is supposed to be a "screen protector" ?

I mean its not even remotely the right size, or the right material, to be intended for any type of long-term usage. If one really feels they need a screen protector, why not get one that actually fits and is a more durable material ? Seriously, these things cost just a few bucks for a smartphone screen protector pack which can easily be trimmed to size and will essentially be invisible.

Personally, I can't see how the LCD is going to get scratched in the first place. The things make sense on phones which go in pockets, sit out on tables etc and are generally subjected to day to day life. Who's carrying a 19" rack mount processor around with them every waking moment of the day ?

For that matter, in the rare chance something does hit the LCD, such as a guitar headstock, the screens going to take some impact damage no matter if you have that plastic sheet on it or not.

Just for the life of me never understood the "keep the oversized shipping film on" mindset....

Might as well keep in in the plastic bag it shipped in as well

Why do people think the plastic which comes on the LCD during shipping is supposed to be a "screen protector" ?

I don't think I really considered it protection per se, but my thought process was that if I ever did sell the unit, I felt it would be worth more with the film attached, though the other reason is because I liked the sense of newness it imparted, regardless whether it was still brand new or not. I held onto the original box and packing materials for a long time, but I've come to terms with the fact I'm not going to sell it any time soon, so at this juncture I don't really see the point anymore.

Leaving the shipping film on is like putting Saran Wrap on a Ferrari to keep bug guts off.

Phone/tablet screen protectors are a much better solution. Even if the window does somehow get scratched, a replacement LCD screen overlay is only $10 from Fractal. http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Parts_p/svc-parts1.htm

The actual LCD screen itself sits behind the outer overlay with a space between them for protection. If something hits the the screen, the overlay takes the damage, not the LCD.

mustang11.jpeg

Should have kept the screen protector on ...

It's not really yours until you take the that piece of plastic off.

If you don't commit you're not getting all the joy out of it that you can.

I regard leaving the plastic on the same way I view that chick that buys a dress and wears it to a party with the tags tucked away so she can return it the next day.

The wise man knows and understands that removing the plastic is considered a high sacrilege. Your futile attempt to bypass protocol to achieve tonal bliss through the removal of the plastic, will surely be judged in the harshest way according to the law... Attempting to replace the plastic does not change the fact... nor will it alter the insidious forthcoming consequences. I do not envy your position nor would I want to be in your shoes right now. :eek: Hopefully you will find mercy. LOL :p :D

Mine is still there, only 1.5 years later.

Because of the problem of induction, no one can falsify my (j/k) hypothesis that the plastic inhibits a buildup of unwanted resonances in the unit's preamp, and is thus the real Secret Sauce.

:p

That's a risky modification! When you eventually go to sell it, you should disclose that.

Personally, I was hoping if I changed my mind I'd be able to find a replacement in the parts section of Fractal's site, but it looks like I'm SOL. :(

Last edited:
I waited until the third power cycle - then it came off. Firmware updates keep it exciting for now. Though I've been wondering what the screen cover will look like on the AxeFx3....

Embarrassingly, mine is still on after 4 years. Screen looks good though, so even the cellophane and adhesive compound FAS puts on these puppies is high-grade, pretty much like all the other stuff Cliff pumps out. Dammit, I miss the Chaser. Death to the net stalkers.

Back
Top Bottom