Finally ready to pull the trigger on studio monitors. Equator or Yamaha?

jhuggins

Inspired
I think I've narrowed it down to equator d8 vs yahama hs8, anyone have experience with either of these with the the axe fx? My budget is around 750. I'm also considering getting a pair of equator d5's for 400 and potentially adding a sub down the road if I need it. Thoughts?

Yamaha here! The HS series is really good for that NS-10 type thing with a more modern approach. You'll need to calibrate your ears a bit but that goes for all speakers really. I've got the 7s here at home. :) Definitely at least a hundred times better than the KRK Rokits I had before.

Looks like I can get a couple of used hs8's online for like 450. Would be tough to pass up. I'm intrigued with the coaxial d5 just concerned about it being too small. Do you miss any bass or volume it's the d5's?

Those Equator D8's are fantastic. I used to have KRK VXT8's. But I swapped them out for Yamaha DXR10's (yes they are PA - but actually much more in the FRFR-range than the VXT8's).

If I were to go back to traditional studio monitors I would go for Equators.

I would not go for a sub cause that usually only works well in acoustic treated room.

Looks like I can get a couple of used hs8's online for like 450. Would be tough to pass up. I'm intrigued with the coaxial d5 just concerned about it being too small. Do you miss any bass or volume it's the d5's?

I don't miss much bass in my D5 vs my CLR. Volume is good. They are near field monitors so you don't need it too loud anyways.

Back
Top Bottom