Finally pulled the trigger. Axe III is on the way.

Good morning and Merry Christmas to you all. After many years of deliberation, I finally pulled the trigger. Axe III is on the way. I'm sure this has been discussed, so I apologize in advance, but forum life is new to me and I have never joined one before, and am trying to figure it out as I go. So, thank you for all the help. My question for all of you experts is what do you all recommend for studio monitors? Sub or no sub? What do I need to look for in them? Unfortunately, there is nowhere close to be able to really try anything other than the bottom of the barrel options at the local GC. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
You don’t say what style you’re after or what type of guitar or bass you play.

Subs are useful if you need low notes well below the range of the average guitar, like baritone or bass, but a guitar tuned normally should be fine without one.

Describing Sound helps see the frequency range of various instruments, which you can then use when looking at the frequency ratings of various speakers.

You don’t say what style you’re after or what type of guitar or bass you play.

Subs are useful if you need low notes well below the range of the average guitar, like baritone or bass, but a guitar tuned normally should be fine without one.

Describing Sound helps see the frequency range of various instruments, which you can then use when looking at the frequency ratings of various speakers.
Style wise, good ol rock n roll. Everything from 80s hair bands to modern. Most of the time, standard tuning to 1/2 step down. Nothing too crazy low.

Hi @Bradford17
Welcome! You are going to be amazed with the axe fx. Simply the most incredible piece of gear I have owned.
Monitors are a very personal choice, and if it’s possible, get into a store with music you know well and audition as many as you can within your budget. If your budget is small, (like say less than 1k), also listen to some outside your budget, as it may be worth a few more paydays to get the right ones. If you go for Genelec, Neumann, etc you’ll be on the right track.
Playing music you know well is the best way to audition them, as you will have heard it on multiple systems and in multiple environments so you’ll just instinctively know if it sounds ‘right’ or not.
You’ll have these puppies for decades possibly, so choose the absolute best you can get, even if it means more money than you’d planned initially.
Subwoofer? Yes - just yes. This will help you avoid screwing up the bottom end when recording, or setting up presets for gigs. I even use subs with my 15 inch, 3 way monitors. They are not driven hard, and simply fill in the areas the 15s cannot get to. With smaller monitors they get more important, as smaller monitors do not go as low as larger ones (in general).
When you set things up, make sure you adjust the subs crossover frequency, phase, and volume so the bottom end is correct, not enhanced.
I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the fractal. If you have any problems or want to seek advice, no matter how trivial, you’ll find most on this forum very helpful.
Hope you enjoy it!

(Edit) - seems I’m late to the party and you’ve already chosen the Focals. Nice choice!
Thanks
Pauly

Good morning and Merry Christmas to you all. After many years of deliberation, I finally pulled the trigger. Axe III is on the way. I'm sure this has been discussed, so I apologize in advance, but forum life is new to me and I have never joined one before, and am trying to figure it out as I go. So, thank you for all the help. My question for all of you experts is what do you all recommend for studio monitors? Sub or no sub? What do I need to look for in them? Unfortunately, there is nowhere close to be able to really try anything other than the bottom of the barrel options at the local GC. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Subs will sound cool on your own, but I don’t think they’re great in a band mix. (There’s another thread somewhere discussing this from memory.) But as with all things, it depends greatly on your style, your personal preferences, and whether you’re playing with a full band. Personally I’m happy with Presonus Eris studio monitors for home and in-ears for live, with a QSC monitor for sound reinforcement. I have to turn the bass down on my studio monitors, so I’m in the “you don’t need a sub” camp. But you might WANT one!

Hi @Bradford17
Welcome! You are going to be amazed with the axe fx. Simply the most incredible piece of gear I have owned.
Monitors are a very personal choice, and if it’s possible, get into a store with music you know well and audition as many as you can within your budget. If your budget is small, (like say less than 1k), also listen to some outside your budget, as it may be worth a few more paydays to get the right ones. If you go for Genelec, Neumann, etc you’ll be on the right track.
Playing music you know well is the best way to audition them, as you will have heard it on multiple systems and in multiple environments so you’ll just instinctively know if it sounds ‘right’ or not.
You’ll have these puppies for decades possibly, so choose the absolute best you can get, even if it means more money than you’d planned initially.
Subwoofer? Yes - just yes. This will help you avoid screwing up the bottom end when recording, or setting up presets for gigs. I even use subs with my 15 inch, 3 way monitors. They are not driven hard, and simply fill in the areas the 15s cannot get to. With smaller monitors they get more important, as smaller monitors do not go as low as larger ones (in general).
When you set things up, make sure you adjust the subs crossover frequency, phase, and volume so the bottom end is correct, not enhanced.
I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the fractal. If you have any problems or want to seek advice, no matter how trivial, you’ll find most on this forum very helpful.
Hope you enjoy it!

(Edit) - seems I’m late to the party and you’ve already chosen the Focals. Nice choice!
Thanks
Pauly
Thank you very much. I’m pumped. I may end up ordering the sub as well, if for nothing else, just to have it when I want it. I wish there was a good place around to try a bunch out instead of having to wing it. But I’ve always been a fan of focal so I think I’ll be content. At least for a while. I know I’m in for quite the learning curve, but I’m looking forward to it. I just hope I’m smart enough to figure it all out lol. I appreciate the help very much.

Mate, if we can figure it out, anyone can!

Thanks
Pauly

Thank you very much. I’m pumped. I may end up ordering the sub as well, if for nothing else, just to have it when I want it. I wish there was a good place around to try a bunch out instead of having to wing it. But I’ve always been a fan of focal so I think I’ll be content. At least for a while. I know I’m in for quite the learning curve, but I’m looking forward to it. I just hope I’m smart enough to figure it all out lol. I appreciate the help very much.

Another question for y'all. What do I need to get for cables to hook monitors to the axe? Is there a benefit between xlr vs trs? Balanced vs unbalanced? Thank you!

I Alway default to xlrs if there’s a choice.
Thanks
Pauly
Thank you so much. Thats what I was thinking. Is it just a regular male to female XLR? Just want to make sure I buy the right thing. Is there any other cables that I will need. Is there a USB cable in the box? Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi again,

Pretty sure it is a male to female so nothing special there.
You will need a USB cable... None of my Axe FXs came with one, so unless this has changed, grab yourself one of them too. Also, a cable from your chosen music device (PC/iPhone, whatever) into the Axe FX so you can listen to backing tracks etc may help. Not sure of your intended use case so that may be not needed.
Also - Good coffee - you're going to need lots!... A baby sitter, and a gift for the mrs to a Spa for the day (or week) may help you focus too :p

Thanks
Pauly

Thank you so much. Thats what I was thinking. Is it just a regular male to female XLR? Just want to make sure I buy the right thing. Is there any other cables that I will need. Is there a USB cable in the box? Much appreciated.

Hi again,

Pretty sure it is a male to female so nothing special there.
You will need a USB cable... None of my Axe FXs came with one, so unless this has changed, grab yourself one of them too. Also, a cable from your chosen music device (PC/iPhone, whatever) into the Axe FX so you can listen to backing tracks etc may help. Not sure of your intended use case so that may be not needed.
Also - Good coffee - you're going to need lots!... A baby sitter, and a gift for the mrs to a Spa for the day (or week) may help you focus too :p

Thanks
Pauly
Easy enough. I will have to go find a USB cable. That I dont believe I have. What do I need for music from the computer? If I'm plugged in with the USB, will music from the computer not come through as well?

Coffee and Red Bull haha. I know as soon as this thing shows up on Tuesday I'm going to be glued to the basement! I'll have to do something for her for not yelling at me for doing all this. I think shes just glad that she doesn't have to listen to me being on the fence about it anymore lol.

Thank you for all your help. You are a rockstar my friend.

Mate, if I was a rock star I’d have been dead from an overdose decades ago.

As far as the usb cable goes, I think the music from your pc will come through it, however that’s not how I use mine. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that to confirm, but when I see the available interfaces on my pc, the axe fx is there (just never used it). Make sure you have a usb ‘b’ connector for the axe fx, and the other end to suit your pc.
As far as the wife goes, definitely get her something! I have friends that have had to divide their fortunes (some multiple times) for having an unhappy wife. A token to show she’s appreciated is always a good thing. Perhaps some earplugs in a Tiffany’s jewelers box? Omg I crack myself up sometimes.

Looking forward to hearing your first impressions!

Thanks
Pauly

Easy enough. I will have to go find a USB cable. That I dont believe I have. What do I need for music from the computer? If I'm plugged in with the USB, will music from the computer not come through as well?

Coffee and Red Bull haha. I know as soon as this thing shows up on Tuesday I'm going to be glued to the basement! I'll have to do something for her for not yelling at me for doing all this. I think shes just glad that she doesn't have to listen to me being on the fence about it anymore lol.

Thank you for all your help. You are a rockstar my friend.

Well after fighting with UPS it finally showed up. And after some time, finally figured out how to get some sound out of it!! Cool is an understatement. Im having trouble getting axe edit to connect to it, or logic to find it, MacBook Pro. Is there any settings I need to change to get it to connect with usb? Thank you!

Last edited:
Well after fighting with UPS it finally showed up. And after some time, finally figured out how to get some sound out of it!! Cool is an understatement. Im having trouble getting axe edit to connect to it, or logic to find it, MacBook Pro. Is there any settings I need to change to get it to connect with usb? Thank you!
Its a brand new cable, so I'm hoping there is just a setting somewhere that I am missing.

Back
Top Bottom