Finally part of the club! - One small concern

I am really excited that I am finally part of the club here. I have been reading the forums and dreaming of having a Fractal Audio Systems product some day. I finally purchased the AX8 and received it last week. I absolutely love it and it is everything I thought it would be and more. I decided to go for the AX8 right now because the value proposition is amazing. I have socked some money away to purchase the next flagship unit though (AXE FX III?)

I have one small concern, but it probably is nothing really big. I have my unit plugged into a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 with humbuster cables that I purchased from FAS. With the unit not moving at all I often turn everything on and notice that one of the channels is not making any sound and I have to unplug and replug in the cable. Then I have sound again no problems. I wouldn't expect with a new unit, with new cables that I would be loosing connection like that. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

As the manual states I have the TRS ends connected to the AX8.

Try swapping the L and R channels at the AX8: this will tell you if it's the AX8 or the cable.

Then do the same at the interface: this will tell you it it's the cable or the interface.

I will try that. Because it is mostly one channel, however once it happened on the other channel. Shame if it is the cable as they are brand new humbusters that I got with the unit, however I would be very happy for it to be the cable and not the unit itself.

You're better off using the balanced XLR connections or S/PDIF rather than humbuster cables into your Saffire interface. Humbusters are meant to use with an amp FX loop.

Thanks tjontheroad, that is probably what I should have done. I think I will hook up some XLRs going forward. Although, not using the most appropriate application. I would have thought this should still work without disconnection. Using for the FX loop and it not connecting would still be a problem. I will check the cables.

Have you cleaned the TRS jacks on your Saffire recently? It's amazing how a little oxidation or grime in the contacts can cause trouble with one cable and not another...and not all the time. I've had the best luck with Deoxit. Just spray or brush (depending on can or bottle) onto the 1/4" plug and plug it in and out a few times, giving it a gentle twist while inserted to help spread the cleaner and rub away any grime. XLR or S/PIDIF would be the better answer though.

Thanks Knobs McGee,

I probably should have been more specific that is isn't the Saffire Pro ends that I have to unplug and replug again. It is the output 1 connections on the AX8.

Thought I would put in an update that this is resolved. I had a bad cable, which FAS promptly replaced. I will only use those for FX loop going forward though. I am using a pair of XLRs now and it is rock solid. I love this magic box, I am amazed every time I turn it on. The more I learn about it the more I love it.

Thought I would put in an update that this is resolved. I had a bad cable, which FAS promptly replaced. I will only use those for FX loop going forward though. I am using a pair of XLRs now and it is rock solid. I love this magic box, I am amazed every time I turn it on. The more I learn about it the more I love it.
Good thing it was just the cable! I use FAS hum buster cables from my AX8 to a Saffire Pro 40 and don't have any issues.

Yeah, I hooked the cable to a cable tester and a little wiggle caused the lights to go off and on, which pretty much explained what was happening. I am very happy it was the cable only, I know the build quality of these units are amazing so it made a lot more sense it was the cable. The thought of having to send the AX8 off for repairs horrified me! I think if I was without this unit for any period of time now I would cry. :(. I am hooked for life!

I don't think it is necessarily wrong to use the humbuster cables in other scenarios than the fx loop. The main 1/4 output of the ax8 is trs not ts. The fx loop is also trs. it would depend on the input of the interface and if it is a ts or trs connection. I would imagine most are trs so you would technically want a trs to trs cable and not one of the humbuster cables. All a humbuster cable is is a trs to ts cable. Most if not all guitar amps have ts inputs on them and that is why they say you should have one of the humbuster cables.

Been trying to post this for a while but it was being detected as spam....
Yeah Brian, I agree, that was my initial point that it "should" work. I am going from the TRS output of the AX8 OUT 1[MAIN] to my Saffire Pro 40 input which in the Focusrite manual states:"Combo XLR input sockets for Mic / Line. – Each socket will accept an XLR, or 1/4 inch TRS (balanced) or TS (unbalanced) Jack connector."

Page 10 of the AX8 manual states "Connect OUT 1 [MAIN] to a ....audio interface..." one of the options is "Use Humbuster™ cables with 1/4” outs to reduce hum from ground loops". It does also say "Use the 1/4" Outs when connecting to unbalanced Inputs". Since it is possible to use balanced or unbalanced on the Focusrite, my best bet was probably to use a balanced pair of XLRs.

So I don't think it is "wrong", probably just not my best option, however so it is why I now use the XLR cables. The humbuster cable seemed to work fine at the beginning for a number of days, however with the cable being bad it was just dropping out often. In my testing another pair of TRS and even TR cables worked fine. I will take my lead from the audio engineers and experts as we have a lot in the forum. I am neither. I am just a guy who read his manuals and saw that this "should" work although in hindsight now, probably not my best option. I am happy with the XLRs now and will continue to use them going forward.

Back
Top Bottom