Finally finished (almosst) my new DAW build

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Quite a difference. The NVMe m.2's make such a difference.
Aomei PA Pro, which I have owned for a very long time is just hard to beat. Cloned my Sample drive and yes, my game drive in a few minutes and they are huge. All works perfectly.
Only thing left to do is migrate OS (SATA SSD) to one of my NEWER Samsung m.2's. That does take a while so I am waiting, enjoying just gettin on the forum again and checking how much $$$ I wasted yesterday on the florida lottery (about $19.00 USD)'

I have never migrate an OS before but seems simple enough. At some point down the road I will do a clean install, but for the coming weeks or month I have some projects I want to finish.
What I upgraded, I mentioned in another post where I asked for and rec'd advice and help.
New Asus MB Prime Z590 A, New faster 32gb's of DDR4, 3 Samsung 980 NVMe m./2 drives, NEW CorsairRM850x PSU.
BTW. interesting that it was noted on corsair site that the x in the name of the PSU indicates it was made (and better) in Japan. Without the x they are made in China. I found that, well weird.
my signature says it all- My spelling is great, my typing sucks!

Quite a difference. The NVMe m.2's make such a difference.
Aomei PA Pro, which I have owned for a very long time is just hard to beat. Cloned my Sample drive and yes, my game drive in a few minutes and they are huge. All works perfectly.
Only thing left to do is migrate OS (SATA SSD) to one of my NEWER Samsung m.2's. That does take a while so I am waiting, enjoying just gettin on the forum again and checking how much $$$ I wasted yesterday on the florida lottery (about $19.00 USD)'

I have never migrate an OS before but seems simple enough. At some point down the road I will do a clean install, but for the coming weeks or month I have some projects I want to finish.
What I upgraded, I mentioned in another post where I asked for and rec'd advice and help.
New Asus MB Prime Z590 A, New faster 32gb's of DDR4, 3 Samsung 980 NVMe m./2 drives, NEW CorsairRM850x PSU.
BTW. interesting that it was noted on corsair site that the x in the name of the PSU indicates it was made (and better) in Japan. Without the x they are made in China. I found that, well weird.
my signature says it all- My spelling is great, my typing sucks!
I'm probably misunderstanding you, but did you say you're cloning your OS drive?!? Unless it's the same hardware, using the same drivers, I wouldn't expect that to work, like at all.

Last edited:
I'm probably misunderstanding you, but did you say you're cloning your OS drive?!? Unless it's the same hardware, using the same drivers, I wouldn't expect that to work, like at all.
DAve
Of course it works. It's working now with the NEW HARDWARE. So?. I just have never done this but I have read and read many, many articles about it.
First, I have (just made new) backup (acronis True image) of the C drive (OS) and apps.
I only hestate because I am in the middle of some DAW stuff.
Also, I will be re-installing Win 10 Pro x64 sooner than later anyway. Win 11 also possible. I understand your skepticism, I shared it until I did all this reading.
But, as stated, one way or another I will be wiping it out anyway. It's an old 2.5" Samsung Evo. I have owned Aomei Partition Asst for over a ecade. I have the newest version, plus I have Samsung Migration Tool, ALL my drives are Samsung except one lonely SATA HD WD. I use this for audio recordings. Has worked grea and is plenty fast enough. Although that will bechanging. I am going full out NVMe m.2 sooner than later.

Windows these days seems to be much more forgiving in this regard.

In the old days that would never work... I was always happy with my Linux systems where I could seemingly move the OS disk between various hardware without issues.

It seems like Windows is much more "dynamic" these days.

Windows these days seems to be much more forgiving in this regard.

In the old days that would never work... I was always happy with my Linux systems where I could seemingly move the OS disk between various hardware without issues.

It seems like Windows is much more "dynamic" these days.
Does that include Windows 7 you think?

My win 7 laptop is so long in the tooth, it's incredibly slow. Besides buying new hardware, the prospect of doing all those installs again fills me with avoidance. If I could actually just clone to a new machine and upgrade in place, that's much less awful.

But probably unwise anyway, among other reasons because of copy protection hurdles.

Still interested to know if cloning a win 7 system disk to new hardware is a feasible thing.

Does that include Windows 7 you think?

My win 7 laptop is so long in the tooth, it's incredibly slow. Besides buying new hardware, the prospect of doing all those installs again fills me with avoidance. If I could actually just clone to a new machine and upgrade in place, that's much less awful.

But probably unwise anyway, among other reasons because of copy protection hurdles.

Still interested to know if cloning a win 7 system disk to new hardware is a feasible thing.
According to the web, yes you can-plenty of how to videos. I have still yet to do this btw.

Hmmm, may investigate. Another day, I'd rather play guitar ;)
Hey Dave and others
So I used Samsung migration to copy Win 10 Pro x64 OS from 2.5" SSD (samsung also) to new 980 evo Samsung nvme m.2.
Worked dlike a charm-was quick. Ran SFC to check New OS drive file integrityPerfect!. Just amazing.

Hey Dave and others
So I used Samsung migration to copy Win 10 Pro x64 OS from 2.5" SSD (samsung also) to new 980 evo Samsung nvme m.2.
Worked dlike a charm-was quick. Ran SFC to check New OS drive file integrityPerfect!. Just amazing.
I'm not surprised a straight disk copy worked on the same machine. What I thought was being talked about earlier was cloning a system disk for use in another machine. Please excuse if I was on the wrong planet.

In any case, I'm glad your setup is working well.

I'm not surprised a straight disk copy worked on the same machine. What I thought was being talked about earlier was cloning a system disk for use in another machine. Please excuse if I was on the wrong planet.

In any case, I'm glad your setup is working well.
Not by me. Never looked into what you mention here.

I replaced the mainboard/CPU/memory combo multiple times starting with Windows 7 and later Windows 10. It works but it keeps assembling old device drivers and step by step degrades the system which is why I did a fresh Windows 11 install with my recent upgrade. Works like a charm and is dead silent.

I replaced the mainboard/CPU/memory combo multiple times starting with Windows 7 and later Windows 10. It works but it keeps assembling old device drivers and step by step degrades the system which is why I did a fresh Windows 11 install with my recent upgrade. Works like a charm and is dead silent.
Thanks I'll keep n eye on it

Been lookin' to do a new build myself, but I have no problem starting from scratch so not worried about migration (I usually wipe my system once a year but have not done so since pandemic began)! Keep the old box as is until new one is all up to speed!! Yeah, those NVMe M.2 drives are the bomb. I first used a PCIe slot drive in 2011 (OCZ Technology RevoDrive Series 220 GB PCI Express). When I did my most recent build in 2015, I got a MB with my first M.2 slot and I will never go back!! Next MB will have at least two if not 3 M.2 slots. Would like to have one for system drive, one for DAW/plugins and one for current project content. Congrats on the new build and I hope she treats you like a king with the speed of a gazelle!!!

I've recently completed (spec'd & built myself) a new Pro Tools dedicated rig. I'm still using Pro Tools 11 but on Win11.
Man this thing kicks ass!
The Fractal case is in no way affiliated to Fractal Audio. Awesome case all the same...Quiet and sturdy with good shielding.
I did a new clean install of everything over a few days.
My old computer sits beside the new one and they share the same monitor; I have an HDMI switcher to choose which one I want to see.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D.
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K 16 Core/24 Thread.
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S (with two fans, push/pull) Extra Fan.
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz) 2 slots free.
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples).
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (System Win 11).
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim (Modular).
GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4.
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2, Extra Fans.

I've recently completed (spec'd & built myself) a new Pro Tools dedicated rig. I'm still using Pro Tools 11 but on Win11.
The Fractal case is in no way affiliated to Fractal Audio. Awesome case all the same...Quiet and sturdy with good shielding.
My old computer sits beside the new one and they share the same monitor; I have an HDMI switcher to choose which one I want to see.
Sounds great, nice work!
Got an estimate of total cost?

Sounds like about what I am looking to do! I love ASUS so I would be using their MB and I would probably go with all the NVME's being 2 GB!! Other than that, love it!!! Nice build!!!!

Back
Top Bottom