Finally figured the best room simulation for a cab.

speedloader

Inspired
I wanted to share because I've been really happy with this one for a few months and everything else I tried is just... not as good. It's a subtle effect, it definitely adds a bit of 3D and wetness to the IRs, with almost no phase added, but a nice creamy post distortion that thickens the sound and adds a bit of air in the best possible way (so far in the AX8).

Add a simple Delay block right after the cab. I think any subtype will work but take the Digital Mono to be sure.

Time 1ms, mix 100%, so your sound will be 1ms late, but it's ok, you won't notice it.

Turn all the way down : right post delay, master feedback, drive, diff time, bit reduction, ducker atten.
Neutralize : feedback, echo pan
Diffusion 25%. More will sound phasey, less will make too little difference.
EQ high cut 14200hz, 6db/oct, Q .707
+1db at 20hz, Q .200
+1 db at 3kHz, Q .350

Then the tricky part. You'll have to really pay attention to the cab level. The delay block tends to add some distortion the more you load its input, and you have to find the right amount, before it smothers the upper mids and excites the airy freqs too much. Assuming your tone is well B/M/T balanced, the sweet spot should be when the cab starts to clip the main output (the red light) when you play some heavy palm mutes. Then the distortion and reverb of the Delay will compliment each other while hiding each other flaws.

At last, the right post delay control can be used as stereo enhancer.

Really one of my best tricks so far! If you have troubles finding the sweet spot I'll make a video.

This works a treat, thanks for sharing. I'm enjoying it with a Tape Dist block between the cab and the delay for subtle saturation; playing around with the delay time brings out some interesting flavours too.

I gave up on the post tape dist, it enhances the sound but that hard fizz around 9.3kHz was a bother. I used the chorus drive more for its exciter function, but now the delay block although a less drastic effect, is replacing them all. Also, had to free some CPU% :D

Back
Top Bottom