Finally did it and purged the bin of random cords, cables and adapters

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
If you're over 30 you absolutely have a bin/box full of random cables , adapters and such. I had 2 bins full of this stuff that I've held for 20 yrs now. A veritable Radio shack supply at my disposal. I woke up today and decided it was time; cue rising cinematic theme...time to PURGE deep echo voice I must say it feels a bit freeing...ala Leo Dicaprio on the bow of the Titanic

Dude i have like 4 of them. One old av cables, svideo, rca, speaker cables, rg5 etc. One full of old pc cables, vga, scsi, ide, all kinds of adapters. One full of music related stuff, and a pile of custom patch cables. This year there is going to be a purge for me as well. Did you recycle it? or into the bin?

Dude i have like 4 of them. One old av cables, svideo, rca, speaker cables, rg5 etc. One full of old pc cables, vga, scsi, ide, all kinds of adapters. One full of music related stuff, and a pile of custom patch cables. This year there is going to be a purge for me as well. Did you recycle it? or into the bin?
I filled an entire bag with redundant cables. Set aside for recycling. It was a trip down memory lane of all the random pieces of equipment I had which required specific cables or adaptors depending on my rig at the time. I figure if I really need that single female 1/4" to dual male 1/4" adapter again that I'll just buy it. Highly doubt i'll ever need again of course ha. I couldn't believe how many USB cables i've accumulated over the years

If you're over 30 you absolutely have a bin/box full of random cables , adapters and such. I had 2 bins full of this stuff that I've held for 20 yrs now. A veritable Radio shack supply at my disposal. I woke up today and decided it was time; cue rising cinematic theme...time to PURGE deep echo voice I must say it feels a bit freeing...ala Leo Dicaprio on the bow of the Titanic
I need to do this. I have a USB MIDI adapter from the late '90s in there, and a BUNCH of various cords that are left over from that time period as well....

How funny, I bought a bin of cables off a guy last week. It took me over an hour just to uncoil all of them....mixture of xlr, 1/4", speaker, power adapters and a few adapter cables.

I had a HUGE plastic bin full of broken cables, adapters and random A/V cables that I tossed when I got divorced. I carried that damn thing from Maine to Florida to Maine to Mass to Florida again over the course of 15 years and it just got bigger. Occasionally I’d pull one out and re-solder the ends, but when I was packing up during my divorce I picked it up and said “Fuck this”, along with a TON of other stuff. I left that house with my gear, clothes, a kitchen knife set and that was it.

You've got a toteful? My steamer trunk filled with ammo boxes is giggling at me just now. That plus the cardboard box in my storage room that is home to various coax cables, adapters, electrical outlet expanders, power strips, you name it, it's there.

At least the ammo boxes are more guitar-gear-centric. Too many cables of various plug sizes and lengths. One box for strings, cleaning and polishing needs. One box for guitar maintenance. 2 boxes for cables and adapters. The trunk is also home to FRFR gig bags, an all-in-one basic guitar maintenance toolkit, and some IEC/AC power cables.

In past years when the storage boxes fill up...I've got a friend who is a ham radio operator and also donates items to his P&W group. The stuff I don't want/need/am too busy to sell my friend receives.

My feeling is that God loves a cheerful giver, and since these items aren't being used regularly, they might as well move on to a good home. Doesn't matter if the items are worth a lot or a little. Sometimes you just don't feel like dealing with online sales because it just takes more time away from your busy schedule...

I think most of us have the same problem! I only have 2 totes of crap, I also have a USPS box of tubes that as far as I know are still good! I think i'm holding on to those in the event they are worth something in the future.

I really need to go through them and take inventory and see what needs to go and what I should keep.

One of the other forums I used to belong to years ago had a thread called Free Stuff! members would post it up and workout the shipping with the people that wanted/needed it. IDK if that would work here but it's a thought.

IMG_0872.jpg

I think i'm ready for the next stage of my evolution....and may also finally recycle my collection of old guitar mags along with old DVDs.

@Sixstring I like your idea of like a communal drop box/exchange. I would have gladly given my stuff to someone who could make use of it.

Before I refinished my basement I had junk haulers come in and empty it out. 15 years of accumulated crap, old clothes, old toys, you name it. So much old junk the idea of actually sifting through it was overwhelming. I couldn't watch as they took everything out. 6 months now and I haven't needed a single thing that was in there. Such a relief finally being rid of all of it.

I think i'm ready for the next stage of my evolution....and may also finally recycle my collection of old guitar mags along with old DVDs.

@Sixstring I like your idea of like a communal drop box/exchange. I would have gladly given my stuff to someone who could make use of it.
It makes sense especially with how expensive things are getting these days! FAS may not want it because of the outside issues that potentially could come with it. The forum thread had a disclosure that all dealings are between the poster and the party interested and that the fourm owner was not responsible for any issues,

Not sure how there could be any seeing how your giving it away. I guess the only real issue is shipping.

Back
Top Bottom