Finally did an Axe clip. Dumble model with tweaks.

scottl

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/axe/AxeFxJam.mp3

I started with the Dumble model and added a touch of delay and verb. I tweaked the amp parameters a lot. I wish there was an adjustment for interstage gain. The issue was either too much gain or not enough. Tone is decent but I feel it could be a little more open in the mids and have a bit more chirp. I am sure that I can get it way better with more work on the cabs and eq.

Scott, thanks a bunch of doing that. Extremely nice clip, excellent playing. Now I've got a nice reference tone for a Dumble-from-an-AxeFx -- something I've never really had.

Scott - nicely done.

I'll tell you straight up that your cab is as important in the Axe-FX as it is in the analog world. IMHO, it's of exceptional importance for obsessive tone hounds (like me... like you :D ) to pay serious attention to that aspect of our rigs. The stock IR's in the Axe-FX are excellent, but they are one mic at one spot on one speaker. With the user IR's and Red Wire cabs (which are just about to do a LOT of vintage and cool speakers, though I have no idea what speakers you use with a Dumble-esque tone) and you can create IR cab 'mixes' that take one slot in your Axe-FX, but offer you the advantages of using multi-mic's and positions (including upcoming far field with totally flat reference mics) that will turn this entire direct 'thing' on it's ear.

Play on man, it's nice to see you digging into the black box. Hopefully you are on firmware 9.0... it's a whole new world right now.

Thumbs up.

Interstage gain is a parameter but not exposed to the user. I figured most people wouldn't know what to do with it. The most critical interstage gain, IME, is the right before the last stage.

An idea I toyed around with was a "gain distribution" control. The total gain would remain the same but the control would increase or decrease the last stage gain and vary the preceding stage gain accordingly.

This sounds great Scott! I don't know what it sounded like in the room, but on the recording I think this sounds a lot like your real amps. Did you try hooking it up to a SS power amp and playing through one of your cabs? I'd be interested in hearing what tweaks you made to the model... And what cab IR you used for this recording, as well...

scottl said:
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/axe/AxeFxJam.mp3

I started with the Dumble model and added a touch of delay and verb. I tweaked the amp parameters a lot. I wish there was an adjustment for interstage gain. The issue was either too much gain or not enough. Tone is decent but I feel it could be a little more open in the mids and have a bit more chirp. I am sure that I can get it way better with more work on the cabs and eq.

which dumble model did you use?

FractalAudio said:
Interstage gain is a parameter but not exposed to the user. I figured most people wouldn't know what to do with it. The most critical interstage gain, IME, is the right before the last stage.

An idea I toyed around with was a "gain distribution" control. The total gain would remain the same but the control would increase or decrease the last stage gain and vary the preceding stage gain accordingly.

and what was the result? Too subtle?

To me it makes your sound more thick.(correct me if i'm wrong)
That's what many people are looking by increasing the level of their amp thinking that it comes from the poweramp when it comes from the preamp.(compression comes from the poweramp)
I would not be surprised that the module level's button on the Randall RM50 allows you to control an interstage gain.

AlbertA said:
FractalAudio said:

I don't know. I never implemented it. It was just an idea.

Wow! Means so much from you. I have really enjoyed all the stuff I heard from you over the years. All the way back from Napster days!!!

I hope we meet someday.

joegold said:
Very very nice playing Scott!

Cliff, in my experience, the internal trimmer that sets the gain between the V1 tube and the OD stages is the most critical. Set it in the model for 26K from ground with 294K feeding it. In other words, 220K series resistance feeding a 100K trimmer set 26K from ground.

Also, the model would definately benefit from the input gain and OD gain being seperately adjustable. Just sayin'...... ;)

FractalAudio said:
AlbertA said:
FractalAudio said:

I don't know. I never implemented it. It was just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom