Final word on Drums?

I have both. Both sound great, but I found BFD2 to have snares I like more and be somewhat easier to use. Superior Drummer 2 has a kludgy way of allowing you to mix kit pieces that I really dislike.

Really, though, it's tough to go wrong with either. Listen to some samples and see what grabs you.

Slate drums 4 is worth a look too. I'm a long time Superior user and find the new slate drums to be just fantastic.

Superior is still my go to though, purely because I know what I want from it and how to quickly get it.

Having bought all of the above, plus Addictive, I would strongly suggest you check out Drumasonic.

Having bought all of the above, plus Addictive, plus Battery, I would strongly suggest you check out BFD2 :)

In other words, it's going to be a subjective choice ultimately. On the other hand, if you chose any one of these you'd have a perfectly decent setup.

FWIW, I find BFD is the most mix-engineer friendly - particularly in terms of bleed and room/ambient controls. I pretty much use BFD only now for all acoustic material, and I use Battery for electronic sounds.

SSD4 is really cool. I used to own Toontrack.. and tried BFD.
But i love Steven Slate Drums 4.

It got like 100 prestets.. alot!

I have Superior Drummer, but I may also get BFD2 so I can use the Neil Peart kit from Sonic Reality.

Jamstix was also mentioned in an earlier thread which may be worth checking out for forming grooves.

There's no right or wrong answer. There are so many great sounding tools for drums these days and most of them are good enough to make pro quality recordings if you know how to use them.

If you're capable of sequencing the drums so that there's groove, dynamics, and feel then even mediocre sounding samples can sound very "real". If you don't have experience doing that, many of these products come with MIDI groove examples that can work as great starting points for songs and also for educating yourself on how to program.

There's no right or wrong answer. There are so many great sounding tools for drums these days and most of them are good enough to make pro quality recordings if you know how to use them.

If you're capable of sequencing the drums so that there's groove, dynamics, and feel then even mediocre sounding samples can sound very "real". If you don't have experience doing that, many of these products come with MIDI groove examples that can work as great starting points for songs and also for educating yourself on how to program.

That's what I did. I bought a bunch of grooves in the style that I wanted.

Knowledge is power if you go BFD2 route get an education from these guys. I bought BFD explained and Reaper 4 explained, both very good.

BFD Explained

Reaper 4 Explained by Kenny Gioia

I've got SSD4 and the CLA expansion.

These are very good sounding samples and slate engine is good too.

These days I find the cymbals to be the hardest part to program realistic parts. Especially hats. A real drummer can just get so expressive with different cymbal articulations and with high hat pedaling + articulation.

Richard

sorry for the slight hijacking... anyone still running SSD4 on WinXP with less than (Slate recommended) 4gig ram ? for all my real drum needs I've been using Addictive so far, but the Slate Platinum sure looks interesting...

SD2 if you want raw sound [you know how to mix drums].
SSD 4 if you want already processed drum sound [you have no clue about mixing you just want to copy your favorite band].

Both has it purpose.

imho

Back
Top Bottom