Final Ultra/Standard Firmware update: Discrete signal path I/O 1 & 2

jimfist

Fractal Fanatic
[Edit to post: never mind as this already can be done as described in the responses below. Once again demonstrates the incredible versatility of the AxeFx! Thanks to Bakerman and GiRa for steering me right.]

It's pretty clear that the Gen 1 AxeFx Standard/Ultra are done being developed, with no fundamental changes anywhere in sight in terms of amp modeling. So, rather than focus on that aspect, I was wondering about FAS throwing a bone to Gen 1 owners that would IMO make these units more versatile (especially the Ultra), which is this:

the ability to have an I/O mode option that allows the AxeFx to be used as 2 discrete stereo processors, so that users could, for example, use In/Out 1 L&R for their guitar signal, and In/Out2 L/R for mixing board FX send/return for reverb/echo for vocals.

-or-

have 2 discrete stereo signal chains (thus 2 guitarists could use one unit, each with stereo processing, also great for guitar teachers)

-or-

quad mono, for example, 1L is guitar processing, 1R is vocal dynamics/EQ insert, 2L is vocal mixer aux 1 echo send/return, 2R is reverb mixer aux2 send/return...

etc.

I understand that you can get 2 discrete signal paths in MONO using L/R panning of I/O 1. This wish list request would kick this up a notch, and have a lot of very practical uses which would keep the gen 1 units very desirable.

Am I right that In/Out 2 already have their own AD/DA converters, so this is just a matter of internally allowing routing of the in/out 2 path isolated from in/out 1? Thus when you put the FX Loop block on the grid, a Global I/O 2 mode would instruct the FXL to operate discretely from the I/O 1 signal path?

Thoughts? Possible? Difficulty factor?

Last edited:
You can have two full independent stereo path using an fxloop block followed by a send block.

Put the fxloop block at the end of the second stereo chain and put the return block as the first one.

You can have two full independent stereo path using an fxloop block followed by a send block.

Put the fxloop block at the end of the second stereo chain and put the return block as the first one.

from 2 discrete sources, i.e., guitar 1 to Input/Output 1, totally separate from Guitar 2 via I/O 2? If yes, can you provide an AxeEdit screen shot or .syx preset? Thanks.

dualstereo.jpg

Set Feedback Return mix to 100%

Cool. Once again I distinguish myself! :eek:ops Bakerman, thanks again. I'll try this tonight. I'm pretty clear on how do get a "dual mono" signal routing from Input 1 using panning...would there be any particular routing trick to get discrete dual routing via Input/Output 2 (echo= 2 left, reverb = 2right)?

Same tricks--pan using various blocks or use the FX Loop 1st page mixer, which is like the layout mixer except it's for Out 2.

I was able to get this working, running 4 discrete signal paths through the Ultra utilizing the Feedback Send, Feedback Return, and FX Loop blocks.

Row 1 first block is a volume block panned hard Left (In/Output 1 L), running into a basic compressor/Amp/Cabinet signal chain for guitar tone, shunted to the end.

Row 2 first block is a volume block panned hard Right (In/Output 1 R) running into a Multi-band compressor and Graphic EQ (general purpose dynamics/tone for PA mixer channel insert) and shunted to the end

Row 3 first block is Feedback Return with the mix set to 100%, with Vol block next panned hard Left (In/Output 2 L) running into a Delay block (PA mixer Aux send/ret), shunts to column 10 where the FX Loop is located, then Feedback Send, and leaving column 12 unconnected (no shunt to the end).

Row 4 takes a split off of Row 3 (column 1) Feedback Return, which then feeds a Volume Block panned hard Right (In/Out 2 R), running into a Reverb block (PA mixer Aux send/ret) and shunted to the end.

All effects blocks were also panned hard left/right respective to the intended signal path that they are designed to follow (that is, delay block hard left, Reverb Block hard Right, etc.).

A couple of things I noticed:

- I was running out of shunts, and had to resort to employing unused FX blocks in bypass mode in order to serve the purpose of shunts that would not apply via the Ultra's front panel. I'm assuming that there is a hard limit on the number of shunts that can be used?
- When testing in/out 2 Right, but with nothing plugged into input 2 Left, a self-oscillating feedback loop would occur in row 3 (in/out 2 Left) with the delay block unless I bypassed it or put a dummy plug into Input 2 Left.

This is not a big deal as I simply need to remember to make sure I plug Input 2 Left at all times when using this Quad Mono preset to prevent the "self oscillation" on the delay block in row 3. Or, can anyone shed any light on an alternative routing or block's parameter setting that would prevent this from happening when Input 2 Left is not plugged in while using Input 2 Right? Or have I patched something incorrectly?

Also, I used the Ultra's Front Panel utility screen to see the levels coming in and out of In/Out 1 and 2 to verify that signal was not crossing over into other signal paths where it is not intended to go. I have not fully tested this running all 4 inputs/outputs to confirm that all is well.

(I've attached a screen shot of this preset routing recreated from memory using Axe Edit. Though it is not the actual preset created from the Ultra it does depict the routing and primary FX blocks used.)

Quad-Mono_FX.jpg

This is not a big deal as I simply need to remember to make sure I plug Input 2 Left at all times when using this Quad Mono preset to prevent the "self oscillation" on the delay block in row 3. Or, can anyone shed any light on an alternative routing or block's parameter setting that would prevent this from happening when Input 2 Left is not plugged in while using Input 2 Right? Or have I patched something incorrectly?
If you don't plug anything in input1 you are getting 100% feedback from FXLoop block to Send block, to Return block and the to FXLoop again.

Back
Top Bottom