Filter slope info

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
The “Filter Slope” parameter selects between first-order (6 dB/octave) or second-order (12 dB/octave) filters for Low Cut and High Cut.

I noticed some of my cabs are set to 12db and some are 6db and to the best of my knowledge I never set this or changed the setting. Does it set itself on different cabs and also are the frequencies effected set or do they go by the cab frequencies or by your low/high cut in the cab block? One more question, I can tell a noticable difference on my Axe FxII when I switch between the two settings. !2db seems to have more high end and 6db would have the cut. I didn't notice a low end difference really. On my Ax8 I don't hear a difference between 12db and 6db. The AxeII is in my studio and the Ax8 is in rehearsal running CLR's so maybe thats why. So I'm not much of a smarty pants on much including filters and this feature in particular so if anyone could shed a small amount of knowledge I would appreciate it a lot, thanks!

High-Cut and low-cut slope are selected by the user, not by the IR you're loading. At some point, someone changed the slope while editing the preset.

The cut frequency is whatever the Hi Cut and Low Cut is set to. Slope doesn't change the frequency. It just changes how steep the cutoff is.

Slope doesn't change the frequency. It just changes how steep the cutoff is.

I believe the steeper the slope is the more the selected cut off freq begins to get a little boost, you see it more at more extreme slope settings.

I believe the steeper the slope is the more the selected cut off freq begins to get a little boost, you see it more at more extreme slope settings.
That can happen, but I don't think it'll happen at 12 dB/octave.

I don't think the cutoff freq gets boosted. It's the point where the (cutoff or downward) slope begins. Slope is how steep the cutoff point is

Last edited:

This is true of some analog EQ's for sure, there is "ringing" around the knee frequency.

Also the really cool but strange boost and cut at the same frequency in the Pultec EQ's.

For a digital eq like in the Fractal, it's really the algorithm that determines the response. I don't think this particular eq algorithm has the bump at the knee.

Back
Top Bottom