Filter setting for high end hiss?

Billbill

Power User
hello everyone,
I'm working a patch that's sort of a medium gain patch that's sounding pretty good but if I EQ out some high end hiss I loose some pick attack and dynamics. I'm thinking a filter at end of chain might be the awnser. What's a good filter setting to kill that high end hiss sort of noise ???

Anyone? I'll try posting a sound sample if I can get rid of the wife for an hour. I tried lowering the input gain but when it cleans up its got no balls/punch

Try using the high cut, you can also add in the parametric with the notch type and a high Q value and sweep the Frequency to find where the hiss frequency is located to either set your high cut or use it in conjunction with the high cut, or switch to a peaking type instead of notch, (again with a high Q value) to slice out the hiss frequency. Probably try 4th order harmonics with the peaking type as well..

Last edited:
Try using the high cut, you can also add in the parametric with the notch type and a high Q value and sweep the Frequency to find where the hiss frequency is located to either set your high cut or use it in conjunction with the high cut, or switch to a peaking type instead of notch, (again with a high Q value) to slice out the hiss frequency. Probably try 4th order harmonics with the peaking type as well..
Great! I'll try this method, thank you sir

Most often when using a medium to high gain preset I'll low-pass around 8 kHz. You can do it with a filter block, but if you're using a cab block just do it there. If that's not the fix, I'd try ML's noise gate between the amp and cab block trick.

Most often when using a medium to high gain preset I'll low-pass around 8 kHz. You can do it with a filter block, but if you're using a cab block just do it there. If that's not the fix, I'd try ML's noise gate between the amp and cab block trick.
I will try this as well, thank u sir

Yeah, your best bet is the high cut in the Cab block if you're using one. Test where you want it, but the louder you're playing the lower you'll want to set it (i.e. playing at bedroom volume might be 12k, but some people playing live with a lot of stage volume will have it down at 7k or even lower)

Yeah, your best bet is the high cut in the Cab block if you're using one. Test where you want it, but the louder you're playing the lower you'll want to set it (i.e. playing at bedroom volume might be 12k, but some people playing live with a lot of stage volume will have it down at 7k or even lower)
Yeah I tried cutting in the cab block but I'm losing attack and punch when I finally get rid of the hissy noisiness. I'm using a gate before the amp and that is doing its job as needed for tight start and stops. I guess the tone I'm going for is sort of a layered tone, punchy yet quiet with retaining enough high end to get the attack out. I guess I go through ups and downs with my axe because sometimes I suck at it and sometimes I can get shit sounding pretty killer. This is gonna be quite a quest!

Yeah I tried cutting in the cab block but I'm losing attack and punch when I finally get rid of the hissy noisiness. I'm using a gate before the amp and that is doing its job as needed for tight start and stops. I guess the tone I'm going for is sort of a layered tone, punchy yet quiet with retaining enough high end to get the attack out. I guess I go through ups and downs with my axe because sometimes I suck at it and sometimes I can get shit sounding pretty killer. This is gonna be quite a quest!

If you can post a sample, it's a fairly simple affair to pinpoint the specific frequencies causing a problem.

If this is a hiss that your Gate is cutting out when you aren't playing / turn your volume off, then it's an exogenous noise rather than an endogenous noise (aka it's a noise coming from pickups or other electromagnetic interference).

You don't want to tackle this with EQ in the box, you want to remove the source. Try moving around / moving the rig into another room to test if it's a source that local. Also considering getting your guitars professionally shielded.

If you can find the frequency of this noise with a notch EQ (make it a really narrow, really severe boost and sweep it around until you find it magnifies the noise) then flip it so that it's sucking out that frequency and leaving the rest alone.

But ideally you don't want to introduce it in the first place.

You don't want to tackle this with EQ in the box, you want to remove the source. Try moving around / moving the rig into another room to test if it's a source that local. Also considering getting your guitars professionally shielded.

If you can find the frequency of this noise with a notch EQ (make it a really narrow, really severe boost and sweep it around until you find it magnifies the noise) then flip it so that it's sucking out that frequency and leaving the rest alone.

+100

If this is a hiss that your Gate is cutting out when you aren't playing / turn your volume off, then it's an exogenous noise rather than an endogenous noise (aka it's a noise coming from pickups or other electromagnetic interference).

Ok I'll try this EQ notch sweep technique. Pretty sure it's not the pickups or a shielding issue because it's only on some patches so I'm almost positive it's just axe user error. Going to give this a go tonight. Thank you sir

I put a high cut at 6000 hz and low cut at 120 hz in the cab block. I also go into the global EQ and cut the 2 highest and 2 lowest frequencies by 12 DB. For live and fitting in a mix I have been loving this so much. At low volumes it does not sound right but at gigging levels it sounds so good and no ear fatigue. I've actually noticed the sound guys have been pushing me louder due to really focusing my tone. Not sure if this applies exactly but it really helped me so i though i would chime in! Best of luck!

I put a high cut at 6000 hz and low cut at 120 hz in the cab block. I also go into the global EQ and cut the 2 highest and 2 lowest frequencies by 12 DB. For live and fitting in a mix I have been loving this so much. At low volumes it does not sound right but at gigging levels it sounds so good and no ear fatigue. I've actually noticed the sound guys have been pushing me louder due to really focusing my tone. Not sure if this applies exactly but it really helped me so i though i would chime in! Best of luck!
Thanks for chiming in! I don't mess with any Global EQ or any Global settings other than Out 1/2 settings. Thx

Ok I'll try this EQ notch sweep technique. Pretty sure it's not the pickups or a shielding issue because it's only on some patches so I'm almost positive it's just axe user error. Going to give this a go tonight. Thank you sir
Oh now you’re going to try it!? Lol..:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom