Fighting 17th Cover - Hans Zimmer - Backdraft - AXE FX/S2.0/Ownhammer/Trilian

justinjcm900

Inspired
Hey all,

Here's my next movie theme cover from the film 'Backdraft'. Absolutely love this piece of music from the opening scene, for those that have seen it.

Recorded/programmed from the ground up and added a load of additional instruments/layers, all AXE-FX of course!

Really liked tracking this cover because i loved this film from when i was a kid....what i didn't like was having to re-bounce the thing out of logic 50 times because i kept getting system overload messages!

Hope you all enjoy it!

Appreciate any feedback as always.

Justin

great stuff!

btw - you don't need to bounce stuff out of logic. all you need to do is "freeze" the tracks. you may need to add the freeze button to the track header (just right click on it and then "edit track header"). when you enable the freeze button and hit play, logic will render the virtual instrument track as audio (just as you would do by bouncing it down), but it does it in place and then disables all the processing on the track. just deselect the freeze button to make the track available for editing again. complete life saver :)

great stuff!

btw - you don't need to bounce stuff out of logic. all you need to do is "freeze" the tracks. you may need to add the freeze button to the track header (just right click on it and then "edit track header"). when you enable the freeze button and hit play, logic will render the virtual instrument track as audio (just as you would do by bouncing it down), but it does it in place and then disables all the processing on the track. just deselect the freeze button to make the track available for editing again. complete life saver :)

Thanks man!

Oh that sounds promising! I had no idea i could do that, will definitely try that next time! Thanks for the tip!

Lovin it, I just saw you posted it on SC when I was listening to one of your covers of Time for Inception. I'm serious, put out an album :)

Thanks man! Oh great, seems like so long ago since i did the inception cover!

I would be a great thing to do definitely but i have no idea what i would do about licensing/copyright issues with all the composers. Any ideas?

I'm excited to listen to this when I get home, your interstellar cover has been on repeat since you posted it!

I'd love to know more about your mixing process, have you ever considered doing tutorials? Also, the album thing, I have no idea how you'd go about it but good god you should

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a film score nut as well...I probably have thousands of soundtracks and you really do the pieces justice. I'm typing this as I'm listening to it and have to stop every few seconds because something cool happens.

I'm excited to listen to this when I get home, your interstellar cover has been on repeat since you posted it!

I'd love to know more about your mixing process, have you ever considered doing tutorials? Also, the album thing, I have no idea how you'd go about it but good god you should

Thanks so much man!

Sure i'm up for giving tutorials, you looking for help with anything in particular?

Yeah i'm really considering it!

great stuff!

I hope I don't embarrass, but I just want to give you a shout-out for being so generous with help on this board!

Thanks man! Oh great, seems like so long ago since i did the inception cover!

I would be a great thing to do definitely but i have no idea what i would do about licensing/copyright issues with all the composers. Any ideas?

When you obtain the rights to cover a song, you are able to rerecord your favorite songs and sell them or give them away free. According to U.S. Copyright law, anyone may legally record or distribute an original song by obtaining a compulsory license, also known as a compulsory mechanical license. The license allows you to manufacture and distribute copies of a song you didn't write, and ensures that the publisher and songwriter are compensated. You need the license even if you are not making money off the song. To obtain the license, pay the associated processing fees and royalties for each song

Instructions

Obtaining Rights to Cover a Song
1 Locate the copyright owner of the song you wish to record. Check the Copyright office's records or contact the publisher for this information.

2 Write a "Notice of Intention to Obtain a Compulsory License for Making and Distributing Phonorecords" for each song you wish to record. No form is available to fill out; write a letter containing the appropriate information.

3 Send the Notice to the copyright owner within 30 days of recording or distributing the song. Failure to do this violates copyright laws.

4 If unable to contact the copyright owner for any reason, file the notice with the copyright office.

5 Wait for the copyright owner's written agreement and sign it if you agree with the terms regarding fees and royalty payment.

6 Obtain a compulsory mechanical license through a licensing agent such as the Harry Fox Agency or Limelight if you don't want to do it yourself. Using an agency saves time and paperwork, and they also collect all royalties due.

Preparing the Notice of Intention to Obtain a Compulsory License for Making and Distributing Phonorecords

1 Title the document "Notice of Intention to Obtain a Compulsory License for Making and Distributing Phonorecords."

2 Include a statement that you have searched the Copyright Office records for the copyright owner's name and address. Include the results of the search.

3 Provide your name and address. If a business entity is obtaining the Compulsory License, provide the business name. Indicate whether the business is a sole proprietorship, corporation or partnership.

4 Include the fiscal year when you plan to obtain the Compulsory License, and date you began or plan to begin distributing the work.

5 List the format in which you plan to distribute the song such as CD or cassette. Include the name of the artist or group recording the song, along with the catalog number and label name. Sign and date the notice.

In addition

I believe you definitely have the talent, skill and awareness on a lot of levels to make this into a life supporting career, if you have not already, either through your own music, mixing and engineering, teaching etc.

When you obtain the rights to cover a song, you are able to rerecord your favorite songs and sell them or give them away free. According to U.S. Copyright law, anyone may legally record or distribute an original song by obtaining a compulsory license, also known as a compulsory mechanical license. The license allows you to manufacture and distribute copies of a song you didn't write, and ensures that the publisher and songwriter are compensated. You need the license even if you are not making money off the song. To obtain the license, pay the associated processing fees and royalties for each song

Instructions

Obtaining Rights to Cover a Song
1 Locate the copyright owner of the song you wish to record. Check the Copyright office's records or contact the publisher for this information.

2 Write a "Notice of Intention to Obtain a Compulsory License for Making and Distributing Phonorecords" for each song you wish to record. No form is available to fill out; write a letter containing the appropriate information.

3 Send the Notice to the copyright owner within 30 days of recording or distributing the song. Failure to do this violates copyright laws.

4 If unable to contact the copyright owner for any reason, file the notice with the copyright office.

5 Wait for the copyright owner's written agreement and sign it if you agree with the terms regarding fees and royalty payment.

6 Obtain a compulsory mechanical license through a licensing agent such as the Harry Fox Agency or Limelight if you don't want to do it yourself. Using an agency saves time and paperwork, and they also collect all royalties due.

Preparing the Notice of Intention to Obtain a Compulsory License for Making and Distributing Phonorecords

1 Title the document "Notice of Intention to Obtain a Compulsory License for Making and Distributing Phonorecords."

2 Include a statement that you have searched the Copyright Office records for the copyright owner's name and address. Include the results of the search.

3 Provide your name and address. If a business entity is obtaining the Compulsory License, provide the business name. Indicate whether the business is a sole proprietorship, corporation or partnership.

4 Include the fiscal year when you plan to obtain the Compulsory License, and date you began or plan to begin distributing the work.

5 List the format in which you plan to distribute the song such as CD or cassette. Include the name of the artist or group recording the song, along with the catalog number and label name. Sign and date the notice.

In addition

I believe you definitely have the talent, skill and awareness on a lot of levels to make this into a life supporting career, if you have not already, either through your own music, mixing and engineering, teaching etc.

Thank you so much for that information! That is really going to help. I think the idea of this album is becoming a bigger possibility.

I must thank you for that last comment as well, very kind, encouraging words. I will definitely keep on with this and work towards this album.

Back
Top Bottom