FET Boost Drive Block Settings for the EP Booster

So forgive my ignorance - and I appreciate that ultimately there are no rules, but would using a block that emulates an EP booster replace the Tubescreamer block with zero gain (as per one of Leon's video tutorials) I currently use to push the front of the amp block, or would it be in addition to that?

I guess use your ears is the answer.......

Well I used the EP at about 9:00 (11:00+ for single coils) to drive the input of a Riverside and a BBPreamp. I liked to color it gave and drove those pedals really well without having to add too much gain. When I got the AX8 I spent a lot of time recreating what I got from the Riverside and BB but still had the EP in front. Now the EP is inside the AX8 and I used a tweaked Zen Drive to get the Riverside sound and a tweaked BBPre to get the BB sound. I haven't used the Tubescreamer but as I understand it has a mid bump. The EP doesn't have that per se so it's more like your straight guitar but it rolls off the very high end. Try it and see what you think. Note that the level settings I use are low so if you are driving harder you will need to up the level.

So forgive my ignorance - and I appreciate that ultimately there are no rules, but would using a block that emulates an EP booster replace the Tubescreamer block with zero gain (as per one of Leon's video tutorials) I currently use to push the front of the amp block, or would it be in addition to that?

I guess use your ears is the answer.......
Basically any overdrive set with zero or low gain can be used as a clean boost. Depends upon how much or little you want the boost to color the tone. If you like how the Tubescreamer's gain structure works but don't like the mids, use the Mid Freq and MId (level) parameters or add an EQ block after the drive, the Parametric EQ is common with a lot of users, and dial in the tone you want.

Ultimately yes, use your ears. I've found some 'real' pedals were emulated better by models in the AX8 other than the 'correct' one.

Can some explain how to import the block posted into AX8?
Drag and drop the downloaded file from your computer's download folder into a drive block or a blank box in the grid of AX8 Edit. If dragging into an open block, make sure there aren't already 2 drive blocks in the preset.

Now if someone can do this with a ClinchFx ep Pre I'd be on it. The epPre is a recreation on the old echoplex pre, exotic epbooster is not.

Cheers
Ant

I used this in a couple of patches for a gig last night. Works really well. Thanks for the work on this. It sounded particularly good on a Mesa Lone star patch I have.

Back
Top Bottom