AFIII Fender's Hammertone Metal pedal through the Brit JM45

Sounds great! Would be interesting to hear it off to compare...maybe you did and I missed it on my skim through!
Yeah, I'll make another clinical demo when I get back from overseas. Basically, though, you're looking at a Brit JM45 with the gain down to 9:00 o'clock and the Bright switch off. All tones at around 2:00 o'clock except Bass which is wound right back.

Yeah, I'll make another clinical demo when I get back from overseas. Basically, though, you're looking at a Brit JM45 with the gain down to 9:00 o'clock and the Bright switch off. All tones at around 2:00 o'clock except Bass which is wound right back.
Appreciate the in depth reply! Do you run it into input 1 or using input 3/output 3 unity gain?

Appreciate the in depth reply! Do you run it into input 1 or using input 3/output 3 unity gain?
Treble boosters, old-school fuzzes and overdrives (anything pre-1970, really) go into the front input because they're not friendly with buffers. That Input, despite often being in the red when those sorts of pedals are engaged (especially Range Masters), has zero problems and I don't think I've ever heard it clip. Just about everything else is inserted through i/o 3 so I can place it anywhere in the signal path, in mono or stereo. Boss pedals, Klons, delays, chorus pedals - everything with a buffer and some with true bypass can go to i/o 3. I've made nearly 3000 pedal/gear demos and at least 1000 of them have been made with the Axe as the main platform. When I first started using it that way around 7-8 years ago, I got the expected "I wish you'd use a real amp again, man.." comments. But I persisted because the Axe is my 'real amp'. It's all I've used pretty much in here and on stage since 2013 or thereabouts. So I've forced a sort of sonic conformity on my viewers. I don't have as many subs as the younger channels but they're not going away; they're still slowly increasing. So I'm not looking back. Sorry for the long-winded answer!

Treble boosters, old-school fuzzes and overdrives (anything pre-1970, really) go into the front input because they're not friendly with buffers. That Input, despite often being in the red when those sorts of pedals are engaged (especially Range Masters), has zero problems and I don't think I've ever heard it clip. Just about everything else is inserted through i/o 3 so I can place it anywhere in the signal path, in mono or stereo. Boss pedals, Klons, delays, chorus pedals - everything with a buffer and some with true bypass can go to i/o 3. I've made nearly 3000 pedal/gear demos and at least 1000 of them have been made with the Axe as the main platform. When I first started using it that way around 7-8 years ago, I got the expected "I wish you'd use a real amp again, man.." comments. But I persisted because the Axe is my 'real amp'. It's all I've used pretty much in here and on stage since 2013 or thereabouts. So I've forced a sort of sonic conformity on my viewers. I don't have as many subs as the younger channels but they're not going away; they're still slowly increasing. So I'm not looking back. Sorry for the long-winded answer!
Oh I really appreciate the "long winded" reply. I'm actually in a similar spot you once were with real pedals where I want to use them but think "is it defeating the purpose of the Axe?". But as you mentioned, if you view the Axe as a tube amp, it makes sense to use it as one if you please!

@Burgs ; video sounds great! Always enjoy your vids and tones. This is more modern and heavy compared to your usual stuff and it sounds excellent \m/

Oh I really appreciate the "long winded" reply. I'm actually in a similar spot you once were with real pedals where I want to use them but think "is it defeating the purpose of the Axe?". But as you mentioned, if you view the Axe as a tube amp, it makes sense to use it as one if you please!
Yeah, that's kind of true. The questionable bit is that I don't really regard it as a tube* amp. It can and does deliver what a tube amp does, but to me it's just an 'amp' - without classification. I own a dozen or so classic tube amps - HIWATT, Vox, four or five Marshalls, Fenders, VASE, Carl Martin... some other boutique stuff. But I gave up using them on stage because they were predictably unpredictable where things like tubes, power, microphone placement, weight and general reliability were concerned. I love the things but I just couldn't depend on them any longer because they'd fill me with trepidation and loss of confidence, just wondering if they were going to get through the whole show! That's no way to work, so I gladly crossed over to what I believed was the best, most advanced and industrial-strength alternative - the Axe-FX. I waited for a year or so, like many others have to, and I bought my first Axe-FX II from Independent Music here in Australia. The wait was SO worth it. I instantly took to it and started creating, exploring and working without any worries about failure. Now I can contribute a little to the Fractal community as well and that's a very satisfying feeling. I will never look back.

*Apologies as I missed the meaning of your comment: Yes, I do use it as I would use a tube amp although it is infinitely more flexible.

Last edited:
@Burgs ; video sounds great! Always enjoy your vids and tones. This is more modern and heavy compared to your usual stuff and it sounds excellent \m/
Thanks! I'm a closet metalhead, you know. Deftones, Obscura, Sabbath ...tons of others ... all get a run here. I mix and match listening between heavy classical stuff, Sergio Mendez, Bacharach, Smiths, Zappa... I can't be pinned down. Keeps it interesting for me.

I can't take my eyes off that PRS!! Holy amazing finish!! THAT is probably the prettiest guitar I've ever seen.

And as always, your vids sound amazing.

...Just listened to this again Brett...this is jaw dropping good!
I love your style, and presets too. Thanks friend!
I agree...this pedal would be a lovely addition to the AXE-FX.

@FractalAudio, I have no idea which circuit, if any, Fender base their 'affordable' Hammertone Metal pedal on. It sounds kind of funky alone, but it sure seems to sit well in a mix. Here with the Brit JM45 model. Might be a good one to add down the track.

geesh awesome tone & playing. That sounded great!

This sounds killer! What cabs/IRs are you using?
Thanks! Believe it or not, I was using the good old Prince Tone Reverb, quite clean with Gain around 2.55, and the Prince Tone Black Mix IR, otherwise known as Legacy #77. Those little amps and cabs sound bloody huge because they're tight and focused. The Triptik 1x12 cab is another favourite of mine along with the CA Triptik amps.

This one sounds pretty big too, I think. HM-2 pedal (mods) into a clean(ish) JM45 model in the Axe via the front input - no loops. I ran OwnHammer MRBW IRs for this one.

Back
Top Bottom