Fender Ultra Strats - HSS vs SSS for Axe FX III?

First about me: I play a 2018 Les Paul HP into my AXE FX III, coil-tapped/split to all single coils mode, playing primarily jazz, rock-jazz fusion and Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck style, with heavy Mclaughlin and Metheny influences. I don't use a pick, I use my fingers to play.

I had a chance to play an open-box Fender American Ultra SSS thru my Axe FX III and was blown out of my chair. The true single coils (noiseless) sounded fantastic thru all my my favorite amps on the Axe. I thought it was an absolute PERFECT match for the Axe FX III. I returned the open-box item and am contemplating buying a fresh new Ultra.

But then there is the Ultra HSS, that has a humbucker in the bridge(which I will not use), and the 3 single coils are listed as 'Hot' versions of the noiseless pups. Has anyone played it thru the Axe FX III? I absolutely loved the SSS, and wonder if the HSS 'Hot' single coils will push the clean presets like the 'EJ Clean' into distortion when I don't want them to. I realize I have complete control over the guitar and input volume controls, etc., but just curious if anyone has first-hand experience.

Anyone who has experience with the Ultra HSS or SSS, please feel free to chime in with advice and also to tell me how your Ultra sounds thru the FX III.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Why buy an HSS when you won't use the humbucker? If it's got a humbucker, then there are only two single coils, not three. If you're looking for a SSS, buy a SSS.

Also, I would think adjusting the input trim would solve the issue of hot pickups driving clean amps into breakup.

Why buy an HSS when you won't use the humbucker? If it's got a humbucker, then there are only two single coils, not three. If you're looking for a SSS, buy a SSS.

Also, I would think adjusting the input trim would solve the issue of hot pickups driving clean amps into breakup.
That's what I was gonna say. You can split the humbucker (so there are 3 singles), but why buy a guitar that has multiple things you don't want, and then try to make it work?

That's what I was gonna say. You can split the humbucker (so there are 3 singles), but why buy a guitar that has multiple things you don't want, and then try to make it work?
I get what you mean completely. But the single coils on the HSS are different than the SSS. I was just thinking that the 3 ‘hotter’ single coils on the HSS (that Fender put in to better match the Humbucker level) might be great sounding thru the FxIII’s amps. But not sure if it would push them to being too grainy, the SSS that I tried was smooth as silk even on high gain amp settings.

I get what you mean completely. But the single coils on the HSS are different than the SSS. I was just thinking that the 3 ‘hotter’ single coils on the HSS (that Fender put in to better match the Humbucker level) might be great sounding thru the FxIII’s amps. But not sure if it would push them to being too grainy, the SSS that I tried was smooth as silk even on high gain amp settings.
A fair question. And like you said, you could roll back the guitar volume or Axe input drive to compensate when you want clean.
However...
If you tried the sss and loved it, just buy that one.
I'm going with this one ;-)

Plus, on the SSS you can switch in the neck pup to get neck+bridge and all 3.

I guess it’s easy to fall into the “hotter is better” syndrome, when I’ve already proven to myself that the SSS is plenty hot for the music I like to create. Be nice to have both :), but pocketbook can’t afford that.

Last edited:
If you can "split-coil" that HB then your not far from a regular SSS anyway, and have the option of a bucker when you want it.

I guess it’s easy to fall into the “hotter is better” syndrome, when I’ve already proven to myself that the SSS is plenty hot for the music I like to create. Be nice to have both :), but pocketbook can’t afford that.
I agree that having both would be great, but just kick up the input trim when you want a little extra, and you can dial it to whatever level matches your ears. You could even made a scene using a diff channel of the same amp, and have a spicy one waiting for your choosing. Just additional thoughts. Have fun. Lee

I had a chance to play an open-box Fender American Ultra SSS thru my Axe FX III and was blown out of my chair. The true single coils (noiseless) sounded fantastic thru all my my favorite amps on the Axe. I thought it was an absolute PERFECT match for the Axe FX III. I returned the open-box item and am contemplating buying a fresh new Ultra.
If you liked the SSS that much, I wouldn’t expect the hotter coils in the HSS to sound better.

If it is possible for you to go back and get that same one, I would recommend that over getting a “fresh” one. No two pieces of wood are alike, so one guitar could sound better than another of the exact same model. Guitars are one of those things in life where if you find a really good one, you might kick yourself if you let it get away.

Coil split HSS isn't really the same as SSS, at least on any I've had. If you found a nice, plays great SSS, just get that. You have humbuckers for everything else.

Every time I've gone for the "all arounder" I tend to not keep them long. Maybe it's just me. I only have a shitty MiM strat right now, and it's never sounded great. Down the road, I'll probably pick up a nice SSS myself.

If you liked the SSS that much, I wouldn’t expect the hotter coils in the HSS to sound better.

If it is possible for you to go back and get that same one, I would recommend that over getting a “fresh” one. No two pieces of wood are alike, so one guitar could sound better than another of the exact same model. Guitars are one of those things in life where if you find a really good one, you might kick yourself if you let it get away.
Good point. I know this is really true. But the strings were higher than Fender's standards, and some pick marks, a ding in the paint. I have no idea what was done to this guitar by someone else. But I hear you, every guitar is different, and if it sounded that good regardless of its history, I may need to grab it.

Buy the one that blew you “out of my chair” while it was in your hands. Why pay more for one you might like less?

If you can "split-coil" that HB then your not far from a regular SSS anyway, and have the option of a bucker when you want it.
From Fender.com:

"The Ultra Noiseless Hot single-coil pickups offer modern Fender tone without hum. . .The volume knob’s S-1 switch splits the Ultra Double Tap™ humbucking pickup into a full throated single-coil, perfectly calibrated with the neck and middle pickups, thanks to patented Double Tap technology."

I wouldn't focus too much on what sounds good though the af3, I'd rather think of what you're after. Personally, for my taste and for what I normally like to play, an SSS guitar doesn't sound good on the af3, on the af2, on any of my amps and so on, just because I never really cared for that tone (although I have a few because some sessions demand for it). But if that's your cup of tea - looks like it - just go for it!

I've found that any guitar will sound the way it's supposed to sound through the Axe III, just like a physical amp. There are no limitations on the type of guitar or pickup that the Axe III is best suited for.

I personally have played 3 Teles, 2 SSS Strats (low and high output pickups), Reverend Tricky Gomez, PRS CE24 w/TV Jones Power'trons, Ibanez JS2400, Ibanez RGDIR6M w/Bareknuckle Black Dogs, Les Paul Classic and a Schecter w/Suhr SSH and SD Jazz through the Axe III. Each of them had the same feel and character associated with the guitar/pickups as through any of the amps I've played them through.

Back
Top Bottom