fender tweed deluxe mods

edo

Power User
Vendor
@FractalAudio, I've finally found the mods to turn a fender tweed deluxe into the edge signature deluxe. Now I just need to figure out how to translate this into the axe fx!! :D
Here's the mods, I'd really appreciate if you could help me figure out how to mod the axe model following these guidelines!
BTW, by looking at the amp schematic, looks like the amp has a 470pF bright cap bridged between the tone and the volume knobs, does that mean that the bright switch on the amp should be on and bright cap set at 235pF??
Thanks in advance

"The normally .1uF phase inverter coupling caps are reduced to .022uF to tighten the bass response. The smaller cap filters out unneeded very low guitar frequencies.

A higher gain 12AX7 is used in V1 instead of the original's 12AY7 (even though the Edge's tube sheet says 12AY7). This limits playing clean to very low volume knob settings. If you have an Edge Deluxe I recommend you try an Electro Harmonix 12AY7 in V1.

The Edge Deluxe also has added 470 ohm screen resistors to the power tube sockets. These resistors help protect the power tubes from excessive screen current during extended overdrive sessions and also slightly alter the overdrive tone, typically for the better. For more info on how screen resistors affect overdrive tone see this.

All the amp's resistors are modern carbon film resistors instead of the noisier, period correct carbon composition found in the original 5E3. Carbon film resistors generate less hiss than carbon comp resistors.

The power tube cathode resistor is a Brown Devil 250 ohm 8 watt where the original uses a 250 ohm 5 watt resistor.

The Edge also comes with very nice Mercury Magnetics Output and Power Transformers. The output transformer is labeled 0073302000. The power transformer is not labeled.

A .01uF X rated cap has also been added most likely to help reduce power line noise."

I suppose the tighter bass response can be achieved by turning the preamp low cut to 90hz, but I'm not sure what effect the 470ohm screen resistor and the 8w power tube cathode would have on the tone.. anyone else?

... what effect ... the 8w power tube cathode would have on the tone.. anyone else?

Little to none. The reason probably is reliability, the sound could be affected by less thermal drift when resistance get hot.

Little to none. The reason probably is reliability, the sound could be affected by less thermal drift when resistance get hot.

So I suppose the extra crunch comes from the mm transformer and can be mimic'd by increasing the xfmr drive?

I think 12AX7 is the culprit. (and screen res smooth out a bit the overdrive)

Well, the tweed deluxe model already defaults with the 12ax7 (since there's no 12ay7 option), but by listening to some clips it does sound a little bit crunchier than the non signature amp. So I guess I just have to increase the drive then as opposed to mess with advanced parameters!!

Try messing with preamp tube type and drive/trim. You should reach a good balance between overdrive level and smoothness.

Try messing with preamp tube type and drive/trim. You should reach a good balance between overdrive level and smoothness.
Gain and bass response are quite easy to deal with, from the demos I've heard the signature deluxe sounds like it has more presence on the high end, that's why I was asking about the bright switch / cap. Demos I've heard with the tone knob at 2 o clock sound much brighter than the model with the tone at 10, I don't know if it's the bright switch or I'm using the wrong ir, but if I engage the bright switch it sounds way too bright.. oh well, I guess I'll keep have fun experimenting!

Back
Top Bottom