Fender Strat Neck weight difference?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Wanted to put a rosewood fretboard channel bound 9 1/2-14" compound radius neck on my 2006 USA Deluxe Strat. I recently acquired a 2016 USA Standard tele with this neck on it and I love the feel, etc, etc.
So I asked Fender the obvious questions, then asked Sweetwater and bought the neck from Sweetwater. Not a big deal I guess but the new (2021) neck US21xxxxxx feels so much lighter than the maple neck (original on 2006 I am changing) Is this normal? Makes it feel, well, cheap.
The neck I am replacing is normal solid maple. So is that the weight difference or just crappier wood today than 16 years ago.
I am tempted to take the neck off the 2016 Tele to see if it weighs the same as the new one.
I have not INSTALLED anything yet but the new neck does fit nicely in the pocket of the 06 USA DLX Body.
The picts on Sweetwater site were of a 2016 serial number neck. That is one of the reasons I bought it from them.
Thanks folks

The weight isn’t necessarily an indicator of quality, I think.

As long as it doesn’t prevent returning for a refund (important), I’d install the neck and tuners to see how the neck feels and sounds.

If the new neck turns out to be what you wanted, then you’re all set. Otherwise, get an RMA# from SW.

I have build a few hundred necks and body’s.
Even if you use wood from the same tree there „can“ be a difference in weight.
And for let’s say maple, it also does make a difference where the tree has grown etc.
Wood is a natural material.
If you want a neck with a specific weight, you have to select them from others.

Hard rock maple doesn't vary much at all . The big weight variance in neck weight is usually the type of truss rod used. Big leaf maple can vary quite a bit but it's not used for necks.

I would say the if you have two maple strat necks with the same truss rod ,frets and hardware they are going to sound pretty near identical . Hard rock maple is very uniform in density and weight . The biggest thing in a neck that changes the tone is a double acting truss rod ,almost twice the metal.

I would say the if you have two maple strat necks with the same truss rod ,frets and hardware they are going to sound pretty near identical . Hard rock maple is very uniform in density and weight . The biggest thing in a neck that changes the tone is a double acting truss rod ,almost twice the metal.
I guess I need to check on this with Sweetwater. I will ask also if I install the neck can I still return it?
Just struck me as weird they the weight difference was so "obvious" as soon as I picked it up and compared to original neck. Would the rosewood instead of solid maple make the difference?

No it will have a simple one way truss rod, or a redesign two way probably better tonally. It is incredibly unlikely to be worse than the original neck , different and most probably better.

I am sending the neck back to Sweetwater. Just feels like balsa wood. I know it's not, but it sure isn't worth $500..................

"Nearly all production necks today are made from what is known as flat sawn lumber. I am not a wood expert, but essentially there is a greater yield of flat sawn lumber for necks when cutting up a tree. Greater yield means lower cost."

"The density of the quarter sawn lumber is sometimes higher too, also contributing to greater stiffness..."

1646758246909.png

https://blog.upfrontguitars.com/2012/11/flat-sawn-or-quarter-sawn-neck-for-your-gl/

The weight of the neck or wood in general, is also dependent on the moisture content as well. In Canada, in the winter, the humidity is very low. Wood floors, for example, can shrink a considerable amount due to the lower moisture content and in the summer, can expand a considerable amount, due to the high humidity.

"Nearly all production necks today are made from what is known as flat sawn lumber. I am not a wood expert, but essentially there is a greater yield of flat sawn lumber for necks when cutting up a tree. Greater yield means lower cost."

"The density of the quarter sawn lumber is sometimes higher too, also contributing to greater stiffness..."

View attachment 97628

https://blog.upfrontguitars.com/2012/11/flat-sawn-or-quarter-sawn-neck-for-your-gl/

The weight of the neck or wood in general, is also dependent on the moisture content as well. In Canada, in the winter, the humidity is very low. Wood floors, for example, can shrink a considerable amount due to the lower moisture content and in the summer, can expand a considerable amount, due to the high humidity.
Good info. Trust me, this neck feels like a toy. I am not exaggerating too much when I say it feels like balsa wood. Just not worth it. I'd rather look for a strat on reverb with this channel bound neck.
Thanks for the reply!

View attachment 97628

The density of flat sawn is EXACTLY the same as quarter sawn. it is literally the same piece used in a different orientation.
It is stiffer because the annual rings act like an I section steel beam. if you cut a log flat you will still get a half quarter sawn but you will use all of it including the pieces that the grain is not so beneficial .

Good info. Trust me, this neck feels like a toy. I am not exaggerating too much when I say it feels like balsa wood. Just not worth it. I'd rather look for a strat on reverb with this channel bound neck.
Thanks for the reply!
Sorry but this info is mostly wrong. You obviously are not happy with the neck and should probably return it but maple hardly varies in weight when it is dried to the same moisture content and it will be for neck use. The truss rod is what you are feeling .

Sorry but this info is mostly wrong. You obviously are not happy with the neck and should probably return it but maple hardly varies in weight when it is dried to the same moisture content and it will be for neck use. The truss rod is what you are feeling .
OK I get that. I have taken the neck off the 2016 Channel bound rosewood tele I have (2016, which is what the pict on Sweetwater site shows in serial#) They are not the same. Whether it is the truss rod oas you say or just 2021 (new one) poor craftmanship) They are not the same. Not just the weight. So the new neck is dated jan 2021, right in the middle of the pandemic. Just not the same , including the nut and the cut at the end that goes in the body pocket.
Thank You for all of your input. It's appreciated. Playing is my skill, luthier\repair is not.

Post some picture because IME new fender is the best it's ever been. QC is generally very good. The neck you say is light has a single vintage truss rod and considered to be better tonally than the two way one you are comparing it too. The two way rod has more than twice the metal in it and that's going to make the difference you can feel. The workmanship ? well I haven't seen it but I have yet to see a 2016 that is as well detailed as the new ones are. Light is nothing to do with quality an I can assure you the maple in the two necks will vary in weight no more than 5% but by comparing the overall weight you are not comparing like with like. I'm basically saying send it back if you are not happy with the workmanship but don't think light means worse, it doesn't .

Post some picture because IME new fender is the best it's ever been. QC is generally very good. The neck you say is light has a single vintage truss rod and considered to be better tonally than the two way one you are comparing it too. The two way rod has more than twice the metal in it and that's going to make the difference you can feel. The workmanship ? well I haven't seen it but I have yet to see a 2016 that is as well detailed as the new ones are. Light is nothing to do with quality an I can assure you the maple in the two necks will vary in weight no more than 5% but by comparing the overall weight you are not comparing like with like. I'm basically saying send it back if you are not happy with the workmanship but don't think light means worse, it doesn't .
Andy, your replies and more important, your obvious knowledge about guitars, which has been evident since you first appeared in discussions here on the Fractal forums has helped me along here.
I am NOT returning the neck. I like the feel, the look, etc, etc. The weight? How silly of me :)
I thank you for your thoughts on this. Your posts have helped me in the past and they have again here.
Frank

@Andy Eagle would it be fair to say weight is only an indicator of weight, in your experience?
Sorry I missed this but basically yes. Guitar overall weight can give a ballpark idea of tone but it's not the weight you are hearing it is the density and rigidity of the material , weight is the consequence of that. I do think that most types of wood have a tonal sweet spot for guitar and those bodies tend to weight similar in the same design instrument . There can always be exceptions as wood is a unique material and no two pieces are ever the same. Also we all hear things differently. Generally a good guitar will have a body that doesn't negatively interfere with the resonance frequencies in the neck. It is also the body with the wide variance because neck wood has to be chosen to perform a mechanical function and the types that are suitable hardly vary in density particularly if they are kiln dried to the same moisture content. This is why swapping a neck on a guitar with dead spots is rarely the fix, the trouble is the body and you aren't going make the same design neck out of the same material with a resonance that was much different. Certainly not enough different to guarantee a cure.

Back
Top Bottom