Fender sims in FW11?

paultanderberg

Inspired
So, I've never really been a Fender guy. I've always enjoyed the whole bluesish/John Mayer vibe they can give out, but I've never been enough of a connoisseur to actually know how to set one and whether one sounds better than another. I've never been particularly impressed with the Fender sims in any previous firmware (might be my ears cuz I don't know what I'm looking for), but since all Fenders are at dimed "master volumes", technically, is there a big improvement in the sims since v11? Please educate me. :)

I like 'em. It's become so easy.

Clean with an edge: Brownface with 1x10 Gold and 1x12 Black or EVM. Master 9.4, Drive 5.5, Bass 2.5.

Super funky clean: Doubleverb with 2x12 Black. Master 9.4, Drive 5, Treble 7.5 (or at 5 with Bright on).

Last edited:
I haven't cared for the Fender models in previous firmwares very much. I'm in love with them in v11 though. I've mentioned that a few times here and on TGP now without anyone commenting on it really so I thought I might be alone. They sound gorgeous now, every one of them. I decided to revisit them after I played a real Bandmaster a few weeks ago. It had been a while since I played a great vintage Fender amp. I had forgotten how much I loved them. V11 gets me there with basically no effort which is what I wanted. I don't have to do anything fancy to an old Fender to get a great sound; I shouldn't have to with a sim either. Now, I don't. Just set the knobs roughly, grab the cab, and play. Can't beat that...

D

I haven't cared for the Fender models in previous firmwares very much. I'm in love with them in v11 though. I've mentioned that a few times here and on TGP now without anyone commenting on it really so I thought I might be alone. They sound gorgeous now, every one of them. I decided to revisit them after I played a real Bandmaster a few weeks ago. It had been a while since I played a great vintage Fender amp. I had forgotten how much I loved them. V11 gets me there with basically no effort which is what I wanted. I don't have to do anything fancy to an old Fender to get a great sound; I shouldn't have to with a sim either. Now, I don't. Just set the knobs roughly, grab the cab, and play. Can't beat that...

D

Good to hear it wasn't just me that wasn't feeling it in previous firmware versions. I don't know, it just seemed TOO clean in the past, like there was not a lot of expected coloration from tubes that you usually hear in Fenders. Again, that might be just me. But good to hear it sounds better in FW11!! There didn't seem to be a lot of punch either but I'm assuming that's fixed with the power amp sim upgrade in FW11.

Cliff, can we have a knob for tube rattle based on the speaker's resonant frequency? :) Kinda joking....but not as much as you might think.

Clean with an edge: Brownface with 1x10 Gold and 1x12 Black, or EVM. Master 9.4, Drive 5.5, Bass 2.5.

Super funky clean: Doubleverb with 2x12 Black. Master 9.4, Drive 5, Treble 7.5.

Thanks Yek. I just upgraded to v11 and I need to pull some patches together quickly. This will really help. I'm especially curious to hear what your "Clean with an edge" suggestion sounds like.

Terry.

Thanks Yek. I just upgraded to v11 and I need to pull some patches together quickly. This will really help. I'm especially curious to hear what your "Clean with an edge" suggestion sounds like.

Terry.

For an even cleaner-than-Twin tone: try the Bassman with 4x10 cab. Master at 9.4, Drive at 3.5, Bass at 0.
There still may be too much low-freq., in that case turn up Low Cut above 100Hz. Or try another cab.

Thanks!

Any thoughts on getting a nice warm clean tone with mild breakup, or a bluesy tone that's pushed a bit, but not too saturated?

Terry.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Any thoughts on getting a nice warm clean tone with mild breakup, or a bluesy tone that's pushed a bit, but not too saturated?

Terry.

For that I like the Dr.Z. Master at 7, Drive to taste like 6-7 or so, Bass 3, Presence at 5. Cab: 2x12 Brit (or 1x10 Blue)+ 4x12 30w.
Edit: these are settings for a Tele.

Or the Wrecker, master at 9.4, Drive to taste like 2 or 3, Presence at 5.
Just some suggestions.

Last edited:
For that I like the Dr.Z. Master at 7, Drive to taste like 6-7 or so, Prsence to taste. Cab: 2x12 Blue + 4x12 30w.
Just some suggestions.

The Dr. Z. has worked well in the past, but I didn't like what I was hearing last night. The cabs you use might be the ticket.

Thanks again.

Terry.

The Dr. Z. has worked well in the past, but I didn't like what I was hearing last night. The cabs you use might be the ticket.

Thanks again.

Terry.

The Z is my #1 clean amp. I use it for everything. :)

For a bit of grit I add a Tape Dist block, set to HV Tube, Drive between 4 and 5, Level 10.

For that I like the Dr.Z. Master at 7, Drive to taste like 6-7 or so, Bass 3, Presence at 5. Cab: 2x12 Blue + 4x12 30w.
Edit: these are settings for a Tele.

Just some suggestions.

I love the dr. z, and the Trainwreck has come to life for me in v11- very clear....open

Yek,

Thanks again for all of your help now and in the past. Your recommendations are ALWAYS spot on!

Reactions: yek
I like that Bassman setup - thank you sir Yek.

I've been mucking with clean tones for the six or so months I've had the Ultra. Started with the Spec OD1, moved to the Brownface, but now my fav is the Maz. I also discovered putting a multi-band after the amp and compressing just freqs over 2400 really smoothed out the top end for me. I posted a clip in the recording section yesterday if you want to check it out.

The Z is my #1 clean amp. I use it for everything. :)

For a bit of grit I add a Tape Dist block, set to HV Tube, Drive between 4 and 5, Level 10.

Yek, I've totally integrated your basic Dr Z settings for my clean tone as well. It sounds AMAZING!!! Especially with my '52RI Tele. It brings out the warmth in the AlNiCo III pickups VERY well. Sounds very three-dimensional. Thanks, Yek!!

Back
Top Bottom