Feeling goofy... drawing a blank on recording with SPDIF

mwd

Power User
I always recorded my Axe either with analog outs. I set the record levels on 1 & 2 on my Saffire. But recently I got an Apollo Quad and have started recording via SPDIF.

When I look at my waveforms on my recorded tracks they sure do appear to be clipping. Tips chopped off, etc. Maybe I misunderstood but I had heard one advantage of SPDIF was you didn't have to set record levels?

I am drawing a blank at what location I should be setting my record levels. Would it be inside the preset vs the audio interface?

Is the Axe-FX Out 1 clip LED lighting when you play? If so you should reduce level in the preset.

If the LED isn't lighting: any input plugins being used? It may be useful to mention which DAW software you're using and post a recording or screenshot of the waveform.

Of course. Logic X. OS X Yosemite. No changes since recording same presets analog.

X_clip_SPDIF.png

Is the Axe-FX Out 1 clip LED lighting when you play?

Does the recorded track sound like it has more severe clipping than when first played & monitored?

Can you zoom in further on that waveform, both horizontally and vertically?

Bakerman after you mentioning the Out Clip light I checked more closely. Indeed on some presets I was clipping. Having been involved in several recording projects, whereas I was not doing any playing, it has been a while since I sat down and got to jam with my Axe. I had processed several firmware updates where I basically just updated, turned it on, made sure I had sound and called it good.

Along the way I had some volume levels change with presets I had previously leveled. I'm going back thru and double checking all levels and it's looking better. I appreciate your insight.

Back
Top Bottom