Feedback When Recording

Get the guitar pickups right against a speaker.

Since volume is the easiest way to get musical feedback, shorten the distance between the guitar and speaker as much as possible to boost the SPL the guitar is "seeing".

With the realization it may not be the type of feedback you need. Distance makes a difference on how it feedback. It is not just about volume.

I've been getting good amounts of musical feedback pretty easily from my 5" studio monitors at desktop volumes. Really enjoying that with the XL. :devilish:

Get the guitar pickups right against a speaker. Since volume is the easiest way to get musical feedback, shorten the distance between the guitar and speaker as much as possible to boost the SPL the guitar is "seeing".

This reminded me of an interview I read with Satriani where he said he'd touch the headstock against the guitar cab to get feedback. It was in the context of a specific kind of feedback sound though.

You could try playing with the feedback send and return blocks to feed a bit of the post cab tone back to the amp input and control the level with an expression pedal. That is essentially what is happening in the physical world between a loud cab and the guitar. Sound waves from the speakers are making the guitar body and strings vibrate sympathetically causing additional input. Maybe try different EQ, reverbs, or cabs (maybe a acoustic guitar IR?) in the feedback loop to shape the response. You'd probably have to have the level of the feedback signal very low to keep the axe from going into some kind of crazy oscillation though. Expression pedal sweeping from zero signal to some small amount could in theory give you feedback on demand. I'll have to try this when I get home.

This reminded me of an interview I read with Satriani where he said he'd touch the headstock against the guitar cab to get feedback. It was in the context of a specific kind of feedback sound though.

Not feedback per se but with in-ears, touching a cab can give you the impression of hearing more low end. Even though the in ears are sealed good.

Like putting your foot on a wedge or against a cab on stage while playing bass with in ears.

And this is not using volume? It doesn't matter if your volume is coming from a speaker or your headphones, I would like to see you playing though, while holding your cranked headphones in front of your Pickups...

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

You're the 2nd person to try and point this out.

He stated in the first post that he's a bedroom player. So, I would have thought it was obvious that concerns about volume here are on the scale of "audible by neighbors." So, compared to blasting an amp loud enough to get feedback... no, the headphone method would not be using volume.

And I have a desk right in front of where I play, so all I'd do would be to plop my headphones down right on the keyboard tray, which is at the same height as the body of my guitar while playing. Are you done?

Get the guitar pickups right against a speaker.

Since volume is the easiest way to get musical feedback, shorten the distance between the guitar and speaker as much as possible to boost the SPL the guitar is "seeing".

putting your guitar close or against the speaker will result in major hum with single coil guitars. Not very nice.

You're the 2nd person to try and point this out.

He stated in the first post that he's a bedroom player. So, I would have thought it was obvious that concerns about volume here are on the scale of "audible by neighbors." So, compared to blasting an amp loud enough to get feedback... no, the headphone method would not be using volume.

And I have a desk right in front of where I play, so all I'd do would be to plop my headphones down right on the keyboard tray, which is at the same height as the body of my guitar while playing. Are you done?

Whatever works for you, and yeah, I am done

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom