Feedback of Reverb

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
I am wondering how to get this sound, whey they add a feedback loop to a reverb. This is a DAW plugin - the video link is below, but you can start to hear the effect I'm after starting at 2:20 in the video

I don't think any of the reverb blocks themselves have a feedback control, correct? I "think" the plexi-delay /reverb has something like this, but I want it with a regular reverb block. Any suggestions on how I can achieve this sound would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

You can manufacturer a feedback loop with the SND and RTN blocks on the grid. Attach a continuous controller to the RTN block level and ride it reallllllly carefully and you might be able to do this without blowing your ears up.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS!!!! IT COULD RUN AWAY AND TAKE YOUR EARS WITH IT!!!

Something like this (illustrative purposes only, I didn't actually run audio through this!):

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.52.43 PM.png

With the RTN block setup like this (I have CC pedals on External 1, 2, 3...):

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.53.17 PM.png

Maybe start out with MAX on the controller at something like 25% so you can push too much feedback signal into the REV block and then bump it up higher and higher as you experiment?

I played around a bit with this and could get nothing I thought was particuarly useful out of it. It can feedback (and I didn't have to be that careful with the level on the Return block, though I did have it attached to a continuous controller just in case I needed it zero'ed out quickly) but the feedback isn't particularly nice. I tried filtering the feedback with a filter block, some drive, etc. Nothing really made it sound very nice.

So, it can be done, but it's not really as nice as the reverb block's HOLD parameter.

I don't think that control is sending the final reverb output signal back to its input. It just sounds like ringing you'd get from turning up feedback of a short delay.

Try using a resonator block before reverb, with reverb at 100% mix and a parallel dry path.

Why not just turn up the TIME on the reverb? It's basically the same thing.
Or put a delay block in line with your parallel reverb and increase ITS feedback.

Back
Top Bottom