Feedback issue

I broke in my Axe FX II at rehearsal (while using a 5150iii power amp as a slave) into an orange 2x12 closed back tab, and it sounded phenomenal. It was easily better than any amp I've played. However, I tend to get feedback on my presets with more gain. I used a gate to help with the issue a little bit, but the gate began sucking away my tone. Is there a set in stone way to achieve no feedback without it killing your tone while still having a bit more gain?

Post a preset. With all the boost options available, the Axe is capable of crazy high amounts of gain, so you might need to dial things back a bit. Also what kinds of guitars and pickups are you using?

These are the tones I'm using primarily. I'm running an EBMM JP 7 with Blackhawks.

Attachments

• Digit Lead.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Digit Rhythm.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 8
how close were you to the cabinet? I have not tried your presets but looked at one with Fractool. Why do you have a gate block in the front of the chain? are you aware there is already one in the input? The friedman is a pretty hairy amp you could try turning the master volume down some along with the drive. playing loud a whole lot of gain is not really needed as it only complicates things. the energy ball amp I have never played with much But I assume it to be pretty hairy also. Try some high cut in the cab block, it is set at default at 20,000, try it at 12,000 or so. since you are running it into a amp power section and a guitar cab I would also try it with out the cab block, and also with power amp modelling off and see what happens.

What @paranoid said. It's hard to remember (even after years of use) but high master volume on high gain blocks will simulate the effect of those settings, even if your solid state power amp ISNT oppressively loud. It can still feedback just like you have a (sic) 5150 dimed.

how close were you to the cabinet? I have not tried your presets but looked at one with Fractool. Why do you have a gate block in the front of the chain? are you aware there is already one in the input? The friedman is a pretty hairy amp you could try turning the master volume down some along with the drive. playing loud a whole lot of gain is not really needed as it only complicates things. the energy ball amp I have never played with much But I assume it to be pretty hairy also. Try some high cut in the cab block, it is set at default at 20,000, try it at 12,000 or so. since you are running it into a amp power section and a guitar cab I would also try it with out the cab block, and also with power amp modelling off and see what happens.
I've tried using just the input gate but it doesn't appear to make a difference even when I turn the threshold all the way to the right. I'm not sure if that's because I'm doing something incorrectly with it or not though. It doesn't appear to effect the feedback level at all oddly enough. If I turn power amp modeling and cab modeling off in the global menu, does it bypass the cab block as well?

Last edited:
I also have not had a chance to check out your presets, but:

Feedback can still be a problem even if you expertly dial your gate(s).

You can set up your Grid so that your output to your poweramp won't be colored by your cab block, and your cab block would output to a direct line. It's fairly simple and it means never having to turn can modeling "on" or "off" in global.

Unless you are playing through a tube poweramp (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you don't want to disable poweramp modeling. It's one of the best features of the AxeFx.

So I'd still experiment with turning your "master" pot down in the amp block, (same can go for gain and drive), and compensate for volume loss with the "level" pot, also in amp block.

If it's still feeding back there may be another issue.

Sorry, I just reread your setup. You want to disengage poweramp modeling.

Very sorry, 9/10 I read everything twice before replying. Didn't this time.

I also have not had a chance to check out your presets, but:

Feedback can still be a problem even if you expertly dial your gate(s).

You can set up your Grid so that your output to your poweramp won't be colored by your cab block, and your cab block would output to a direct line. It's fairly simple and it means never having to turn can modeling "on" or "off" in global.

Unless you are playing through a tube poweramp (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you don't want to disable poweramp modeling. It's one of the best features of the AxeFx.
How would I go about setting that up on the grid? Is there a YouTube tutorial that would show me the steps to make that happen?

I've tried using just the input gate but it doesn't appear to make a difference even when I turn the threshold all the way to the right. I'm not sure if that's because I'm doing something incorrectly with it or not though. It doesn't appear to effect the feedback level at all oddly enough. If I turn power amp modeling and cab modeling off in the global menu, does it bypass the cab block as well?
Leave the input gate at default or OFF. The input gate is mainly if you have noisy pickups or any noisy pedals that you might happen to put before the Axe FX. It's not for noisy amps or fx in your chain. If your guitar and/or front-end pedals are quiet, leave input gate OFF.

Then move the gate BLOCK after the amp block. Set the gate sidechain to INPUT. It will then behave like an ISP Decimator. You'll discover you are now able to lower the threshold to where it doesn't choke the signal. Raise the ratio until just the point where it will just stop the feedback (or to a point where it's controllable). You should now be able to use insane amounts of gain with minimal feedback.

Regarding the power amp modeling & cab modeling--turning it off globally will result in the amp block only utilizing the preamp section; the cab block will not come into play. This is what you want on both accounts since you are using a real power amp & cab. You MIGHT find something you like with power amp modeling still on, so it might be worth experimenting with that. But piping a cab block through a real cab will compound one IR with another, and isn't the way it was meant to be used.

BTW, just had a thought, if you're using a cab block and playing through a real cab, that could also be a contributing factor in the feedback.

How would I go about setting that up on the grid? Is there a YouTube tutorial that would show me the steps to make that happen?

I promise to respond soon (if someone doesn't beat me to it). It's easy.

But basically,

1) put the "FX LOOP" block BEFORE the cab block in your grid.

2) run the 2ndary outputs to your (this is what's coming out of the loop) to your power amp. No cab modeling.

3) primary outputs to the FOH (or wherever) - this will have cab modeling.

The one BIG pain in the ass with this approach is checking your levels on ALL your presets and ALL your scenes on ALL FOUR outputs. Still, small price to pay for having your presets "good to go" in any situation.

Definitely going to give these solutions a shot when I get home from the office. Thanks for all of the helpful advice! It is greatly appreciated. It's pretty awesome how friendly the fractal community is to noobs who have no idea what they're doing.. haha I would be so confused without this forum.

I've tried using just the input gate but it doesn't appear to make a difference even when I turn the threshold all the way to the right

Where is the RATIO? This determines the degree to which the gate will affect the sound. Turn it up too.

Readjusted my patches. How do these look?

My bad (again), I just realized you're using an AxeFx II Mark II?

I might be getting the actual model wrong, but I'm on an XL, and I don't have Fractool. So I can't upload (or see) your presets. I'll stop screwing with your thread, someone on here will be able to help. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom